slow printing via Samba from XP clients - SMB

This is a discussion on slow printing via Samba from XP clients - SMB ; Samba 2.2.8a RedHat Linux 8.0 Server We are seeing a 1-2 minute delay in our environment (university labs and classrooms) when we submit a print job from an XP client through the Samba print queue to the printer. Printers vary, ...

  1. slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    Samba 2.2.8a
    RedHat Linux 8.0 Server

    We are seeing a 1-2 minute delay in our environment (university labs
    and classrooms) when we submit a print job from an XP client through
    the Samba print queue to the printer. Printers vary, most are HP 4000
    series printers, and all exhibit the same delay.

    To add to the confusion - when we submit a print job from a box imaged
    with JUST windows XP and no other software, it prints normally. The
    print job starts almost immediately. We initially thought the print
    delay might be a conflict with some of the other software applications
    on our image, so we tested this theory by starting from scratch,
    adding one application at a time, testing printing, adding another
    application, testing printing, etc. We completed a fresh XP image,
    with all applications required, and we were printing
    fine...temporarily. Within a few minutes, the print delay appeared
    again when we attempted to print.

    Other issues noted: when we look at the printer icon in the printer
    folder on the XP clients, it says "opening..." If we start a print
    job, it will then say "initializing", and this is where the 1-2 minute
    delay begins. During this "initialization" process, Windows is
    frozen....can't open any applications or do anything until the printer
    says "ready"...then, it prints normally. Prior to Samba, we were
    using Novell, and we had no print delays. If we configure the XP
    client to print via IP printing, there are no delays...only when we
    attach to a Samba print queue, do we see the delay. We're stumped!
    Sorry for the long post...any suggestions are appreciated!

    Dave

  2. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    I'm no expert here. (See a later post on my own performance problems)
    however there's one thing that might be relevant-

    There is a known bug in XP that affects connecting to workgroup disk
    shares that are password protected. Basically XP, being based on an
    NT code base, goes off looking for a domain controller to verify the
    password. If there IS no NT domain controller the client hangs for
    ~2min until the request times out.

    IF you are not running a domain controller, and IF you have not
    installed Xp sp1 (which claims to fix the bug), and IF your users
    have defined passwords then it's possible the same thing is affecting
    shared printers as well as disk shares.

    If so, installing sp1 and/or setting up the Samba box as a domain
    controller would in theory fix the problem, although I haven't verified
    this.

    Regards: Colin

    D. Fox wrote:

    > Samba 2.2.8a
    > RedHat Linux 8.0 Server
    >
    > We are seeing a 1-2 minute delay in our environment (university labs
    > and classrooms) when we submit a print job from an XP client through
    > the Samba print queue to the printer. Printers vary, most are HP 4000
    > series printers, and all exhibit the same delay.
    >
    > To add to the confusion - when we submit a print job from a box imaged
    > with JUST windows XP and no other software, it prints normally. The
    > print job starts almost immediately. We initially thought the print
    > delay might be a conflict with some of the other software applications
    > on our image, so we tested this theory by starting from scratch,
    > adding one application at a time, testing printing, adding another
    > application, testing printing, etc. We completed a fresh XP image,
    > with all applications required, and we were printing
    > fine...temporarily. Within a few minutes, the print delay appeared
    > again when we attempted to print.
    >
    > Other issues noted: when we look at the printer icon in the printer
    > folder on the XP clients, it says "opening..." If we start a print
    > job, it will then say "initializing", and this is where the 1-2 minute
    > delay begins. During this "initialization" process, Windows is
    > frozen....can't open any applications or do anything until the printer
    > says "ready"...then, it prints normally. Prior to Samba, we were
    > using Novell, and we had no print delays. If we configure the XP
    > client to print via IP printing, there are no delays...only when we
    > attach to a Samba print queue, do we see the delay. We're stumped!
    > Sorry for the long post...any suggestions are appreciated!
    >
    > Dave

  3. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    I am just starting to load linux on 12 servers at once in
    our school--so forgive me if my linux knowledge is limited.
    I am a teacher who spent this summer learning it and samba
    and successfully set it up on two old machines on home with
    XP. I reinstalled it and am ready (outgoing computer
    coordinator and technician removed all information off these
    servers).

    But I do have lots of experience with XP:

    1. If I support someone, they do not have a software
    firewall running on XP. For home use (even for my Mom with
    one machine) I buy a linksys router and use NAT. These
    firewalls cause so many problems whether they're the XP one
    or Symantec or Mcafee. I do a little consulting and have
    learned to walk away from a job if this is used. I hung up
    on a friend after I reformated his virus filled machines at
    my house. I told him that I would never touch his machines
    again if he didn't run an anti-virus and if he did run a
    software firewall. His printer didn't work and I asked him
    if he had turned on the firewall. He had. McAfee told him
    his system was unsafe otherwise (he already had
    2. I also turn off Automatically Search For Network Folders
    And Printers. You have to set this up through group policy
    or for the default user. If you do it for the admin, it will
    turn on for each user on the machine. We have about 200
    machines per router and it seems to search different amounts
    of time. (I also turn off a lot of other things and get many
    speed advantages -- so much that I found that with
    optimization, XP is faster on a 400mHz machine with 192 megs
    of ram than 2000!)
    --Open any folder
    --Select the menu item Tools
    --Click on the View tab
    --Unclick Automatically Search for Network Folders

    Dave Poleshuck
    Brooklyn Tech

+ Reply to Thread