win2k clients with 2 nics - SMB

This is a discussion on win2k clients with 2 nics - SMB ; hi everyone, i have samba 2.2.3a running on redhat 7.3 as a pdc and about 7 windows 2000 workstations all with sp3 installed. until recently i had no problems whatsoever logging on with roaming profiles, accessing shares and all, then ...

  1. win2k clients with 2 nics

    hi everyone,

    i have samba 2.2.3a running on redhat 7.3 as a pdc and about 7 windows
    2000 workstations all with sp3 installed. until recently i had no
    problems whatsoever logging on with roaming profiles, accessing shares
    and all, then after reinstalling win2k on 4 of the workstations, 2 of
    them started acting very peculiar. after about 10-20 min of idle time
    or non-access to any shares, the connection to the pdc would be lost.
    the shares and home directories could no longer be accessed
    immediately. only after repeated access attempts was the connection
    back again.
    this can be very bad because if someone logs out of windows while the
    connection to the pdc is lost, any changes to the profile will not be
    saved to the server.

    after many hours troubleshooting, googling, playing with WINS,
    routing, and even trying 'net config server /autodisconnect:-1' on
    both machines, nothing seemed to change. after a while, i noticed
    these 2 machines were the only ones with more than one 'Local Area
    Connection' configured under 'Network & Dialup Connections'. One of
    the machines has an ISDN card installed, the other one has a Bluetooth
    dongle resulting in these configurations.
    after deactivating the 'Local Area Connection 2' on both machines, i
    tried again and after longer idle time, the connections were still
    there!
    so that's it. because of these extra LAConnections the connection to
    the samba pdc dies without continuous access.

    now my questions are: what is causing this and how can i prevent this
    from happening without having to disable these extra LAN connections?
    is there something in samba that i need to configure or in windows
    2000?

    any help would be greatly appreciated!

    thanks

  2. Re: win2k clients with 2 nics

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:58:18 -0700, B. Kloppt wrote:

    > hi everyone,
    >
    > i have samba 2.2.3a running on redhat 7.3 as a pdc and about 7 windows
    > 2000 workstations all with sp3 installed. until recently i had no
    > problems whatsoever logging on with roaming profiles, accessing shares
    > and all, then after reinstalling win2k on 4 of the workstations, 2 of
    > them started acting very peculiar. after about 10-20 min of idle time
    > or non-access to any shares, the connection to the pdc would be lost.
    > the shares and home directories could no longer be accessed
    > immediately. only after repeated access attempts was the connection
    > back again.
    > this can be very bad because if someone logs out of windows while the
    > connection to the pdc is lost, any changes to the profile will not be
    > saved to the server.
    >
    > after many hours troubleshooting, googling, playing with WINS,
    > routing, and even trying 'net config server /autodisconnect:-1' on
    > both machines, nothing seemed to change. after a while, i noticed
    > these 2 machines were the only ones with more than one 'Local Area
    > Connection' configured under 'Network & Dialup Connections'. One of
    > the machines has an ISDN card installed, the other one has a Bluetooth
    > dongle resulting in these configurations.
    > after deactivating the 'Local Area Connection 2' on both machines, i
    > tried again and after longer idle time, the connections were still
    > there!
    > so that's it. because of these extra LAConnections the connection to
    > the samba pdc dies without continuous access.
    >
    > now my questions are: what is causing this and how can i prevent this
    > from happening without having to disable these extra LAN connections?
    > is there something in samba that i need to configure or in windows
    > 2000?
    >
    > any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > thanks

    At work we've had similar issues with Windows boxes that had more than one
    interface. Never did get any one solution to work consistently, but it
    usually was related to WINS and/or MS Networking on the 2nd interface.

    So rather than disabling the interface, try disabling some of the bindings
    for that interface...Remove WINS settings, disable Client for MS
    Networks/File+Printer Sharing, etc., all on the 2nd interface. Leave
    those settings as is on the 1st ( primary ? ) interface.

    --
    - Matt -

+ Reply to Thread