Switching old Zone members to new Zone - SMB

This is a discussion on Switching old Zone members to new Zone - SMB ; I've got a bunch of old, long-unsupported machines in an old zone that we don't want to maintain anymore. The old PDC for that zone has gone to that great old junkyard in the sky and been recycled for parts. ...

  1. Switching old Zone members to new Zone

    I've got a bunch of old, long-unsupported machines in an old zone that
    we don't want to maintain anymore. The old PDC for that zone has gone to
    that great old junkyard in the sky and been recycled for parts.

    We have a new zone, happy and active and running from a Microsoft PDC
    (much to my disgust, instead of using Samba) that I'd like to migrate
    those machines to. How painful is this to do with old, still active
    systems? In particular, the machines include NT 4.0, NT 4.0 servers, and
    one Win2K box. Am I going to have account ownership issues, or have
    other fun permission issues with switching over the NT 4.0 server?

  2. Re: Switching old Zone members to new Zone

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message
    > I've got a bunch of old, long-unsupported machines in an old zone that
    > we don't want to maintain anymore. The old PDC for that zone has gone to
    > that great old junkyard in the sky and been recycled for parts.
    >
    > We have a new zone, happy and active and running from a Microsoft PDC
    > (much to my disgust, instead of using Samba) that I'd like to migrate
    > those machines to. How painful is this to do with old, still active
    > systems? In particular, the machines include NT 4.0, NT 4.0 servers, and
    > one Win2K box. Am I going to have account ownership issues, or have
    > other fun permission issues with switching over the NT 4.0 server?

    I'm not to sure what you mean by zone, but if by zone, you mean NT domain,
    then switching the old systems to the new domain is easy enough. You just
    have to join the systems to the new domain.

    If you had roaming profiles in the last domain, they were thrown out with
    the old PDC. Even if you had local profiles, they will be lost as the users
    are not the same as your old domain even if they have the same username and
    password.

    Finally, any files on the systems that may have permissions set according to
    the old user accounts may not be accessable. You will have to use an
    administrator account to change the permissions.

  3. Re: Switching old Zone members to new Zone

    > m.marien wrote:
    >
    > > "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I've got a bunch of old, long-unsupported machines in an old zone that
    > >>we don't want to maintain anymore. The old PDC for that zone has gone to
    > >>that great old junkyard in the sky and been recycled for parts.
    > >>
    > >>We have a new zone, happy and active and running from a Microsoft PDC
    > >>(much to my disgust, instead of using Samba) that I'd like to migrate
    > >>those machines to. How painful is this to do with old, still active
    > >>systems? In particular, the machines include NT 4.0, NT 4.0 servers, and
    > >>one Win2K box. Am I going to have account ownership issues, or have
    > >>other fun permission issues with switching over the NT 4.0 server?
    > >>

    > > I'm not to sure what you mean by zone, but if by zone, you mean NT

    domain,
    > > then switching the old systems to the new domain is easy enough. You

    just
    > > have to join the systems to the new domain.
    > >
    > > If you had roaming profiles in the last domain, they were thrown out

    with
    > > the old PDC. Even if you had local profiles, they will be lost as the

    users
    > > are not the same as your old domain even if they have the same username

    and
    > > password.
    > >
    > > Finally, any files on the systems that may have permissions set

    according to
    > > the old user accounts may not be accessable. You will have to use an
    > > administrator account to change the permissions.

    > Right. Yes, I meant domain.
    >
    > Any tools or suggestions for finding such "owned" files that will have
    > permissions issues?

    None that I can think of. If you do run accross any files that have specific
    permission set, and you can't access them, you can always use the
    administrator account to change the permissions.

+ Reply to Thread