Re: smbclient question (external program) - SMB

This is a discussion on Re: smbclient question (external program) - SMB ; In article , rach wrote: > I want to be able to log in via smbclient and then zip up folders. So I go On what OS is this share hosted? And from what OS are you accessing it? > ...

  1. Re: smbclient question (external program)

    In article , rach wrote:
    > I want to be able to log in via smbclient and then zip up folders. So I go

    On what OS is this share hosted? And from what OS are you accessing it?

    > smb: \> !zip -r zipfile.zip folder
    >
    > That yields "zip error: Nothing to do!"

    the "!" operator is for a local shell escape. Since the files are not on
    the local filesystem, this error is to be expected.

    > I know I can tar files, but can't I have a 3rd party program access the smb
    > share? How can I do this?

    Consider the differences between tar and zip. tar was made to handle
    block devices, so it can be given a raw SMB share. zip can't, it can
    only deal with files.

    You can:
    1) Copy all files to the local machine, zip them, delete them.
    2) If you're using Linux, you can mount as smbfs and do as you like.
    3) Figure a way to do it on the server's OS.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  2. Re: smbclient question (external program)

    "/dev/rob0" wrote in message
    > In article , rach wrote:
    > > I want to be able to log in via smbclient and then zip up folders. So I

    go

    > On what OS is this share hosted? And from what OS are you accessing it?
    >
    > > smb: \> !zip -r zipfile.zip folder
    > >
    > > That yields "zip error: Nothing to do!"

    > the "!" operator is for a local shell escape. Since the files are not on
    > the local filesystem, this error is to be expected.
    >
    > > I know I can tar files, but can't I have a 3rd party program access the

    smb
    > > share? How can I do this?

    > Consider the differences between tar and zip. tar was made to handle
    > block devices, so it can be given a raw SMB share. zip can't, it can
    > only deal with files.
    >
    > You can:
    > 1) Copy all files to the local machine, zip them, delete them.
    > 2) If you're using Linux, you can mount as smbfs and do as you like.
    > 3) Figure a way to do it on the server's OS.
    > --
    > /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    > or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

    Yah, I neglected to mention the platforms. The shares are on Windows2000
    Pro, and smbclient is on FreeBSD5.1. I guess I will have to do the copy and
    zip solution since FreeBSD's kernel doesn't support smbmount.

    I know I could totally do this on the windows computers and push it to my
    FreeBSD box, but I was thinking it would be rad to have all the control on
    the FreeBSD box. If I ever learn perl I want to made a webmin module to do
    this.

    Rach

+ Reply to Thread