Re: Samba PDC + NT4 BDC - SMB

This is a discussion on Re: Samba PDC + NT4 BDC - SMB ; "Legrand Jimmy" wrote in message news:bhdbri$r6d$2@s1.read.news.oleane.net... > Hello, > > somebody have tried Samba PDC with a NT4 PDC ? I know it's not possible > to synchronise SAM, but if I create a account on two servers. do it ...

  1. Re: Samba PDC + NT4 BDC

    "Legrand Jimmy" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > somebody have tried Samba PDC with a NT4 PDC ? I know it's not possible
    > to synchronise SAM, but if I create a account on two servers. do it work ?
    >
    > I want to replace a NT4 PDC a samba 3 PDC under Linux with a NT4 BDC.
    >
    > So tell me what do you think on it ?
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > PS : sorry for my english, i'm french ;-)

    That's a good question. If you remove the PDC, the BDC will continue to
    function, as it should, but it will never find the PDC to sync the password
    changes. Creating accounts on a Samba server is easy enough, but can you
    create new accounts on a BDC or do you require a PDC for that.

    Even if you could create an account on the NT4 BDC, and an identical one on
    the Samba PDC, I think they would have different UID's so they would appear
    to be different accounts.

    IMHO I think you are just looking for grief trying to do it that way.

  2. Re: Samba PDC + NT4 BDC

    m.marien a écrit :
    > "Legrand Jimmy" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>somebody have tried Samba PDC with a NT4 PDC ? I know it's not possible
    >>to synchronise SAM, but if I create a account on two servers. do it work ?
    >>
    >>I want to replace a NT4 PDC a samba 3 PDC under Linux with a NT4 BDC.
    >>
    >>So tell me what do you think on it ?
    >>
    >>Jim
    >>
    >>PS : sorry for my english, i'm french ;-)
    >>

    > That's a good question. If you remove the PDC, the BDC will continue to
    > function, as it should, but it will never find the PDC to sync the password
    > changes. Creating accounts on a Samba server is easy enough, but can you
    > create new accounts on a BDC or do you require a PDC for that.
    >
    > Even if you could create an account on the NT4 BDC, and an identical one on
    > the Samba PDC, I think they would have different UID's so they would appear
    > to be different accounts.
    >
    > IMHO I think you are just looking for grief trying to do it that way.

    Thanks, for your answer. How can i do ? If I have one DC, it's not
    enough. An idea ?

  3. Re: Samba PDC + NT4 BDC

    ?

    > >>I want to replace a NT4 PDC a samba 3 PDC under Linux with a NT4 BDC.
    > >>
    > >>So tell me what do you think on it ?
    > >>
    > >>Jim
    > >>
    > >>PS : sorry for my english, i'm french ;-)
    > >>

    > > That's a good question. If you remove the PDC, the BDC will continue to
    > > function, as it should, but it will never find the PDC to sync the

    password
    > > changes. Creating accounts on a Samba server is easy enough, but can you
    > > create new accounts on a BDC or do you require a PDC for that.
    > >
    > > Even if you could create an account on the NT4 BDC, and an identical one

    on
    > > the Samba PDC, I think they would have different UID's so they would

    appear
    > > to be different accounts.
    > >
    > > IMHO I think you are just looking for grief trying to do it that way.
    > >

    > Thanks, for your answer. How can i do ? If I have one DC, it's not
    > enough. An idea ?

    Short answer, I don't think it will work.

    I have run a couple of networks with only one DC for a couple of years now.
    Microsoft's Small Business Server (SBS) uses only one DC. I don't think
    there is a problem with running with one DC except you don't have any
    redundancy.

+ Reply to Thread