Printing dircetly to server share and mapping LPT1: - SMB

This is a discussion on Printing dircetly to server share and mapping LPT1: - SMB ; Can someone tell me the benefits of mapping LPT1: or LPT2: to a printer share. I currently just print directly to the \\SERVER\printshare Is that just for DOS applications?...

  1. Printing dircetly to server share and mapping LPT1:

    Can someone tell me the benefits of mapping LPT1: or LPT2: to a printer
    share.

    I currently just print directly to the \\SERVER\printshare

    Is that just for DOS applications?

  2. Re: Printing dircetly to server share and mapping LPT1:

    I think the mapping is for the benefit of (old) clients (or programs) that
    can't use UNC. I still use an old version of AutoCAD for one customer. It
    runs just fine on w2k, but can't use UNC (ie: \\server\share) so I have to
    map the shares to drive letters.

    "David Travers" wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me the benefits of mapping LPT1: or LPT2: to a printer
    > share.
    >
    > I currently just print directly to the \\SERVER\printshare
    >
    > Is that just for DOS applications?

+ Reply to Thread