smbpasswd changed when Win password changed - SMB

This is a discussion on smbpasswd changed when Win password changed - SMB ; I'm running samba on SCO Openserver 5.0.6, using encrypted passwords and the smbpasswd file. From reading the documentation, it seems that a user changing his Windows password should update the encrypted password in the smbpasswd file as well. This is ...

  1. smbpasswd changed when Win password changed

    I'm running samba on SCO Openserver 5.0.6, using encrypted passwords
    and the smbpasswd file. From reading the documentation, it seems that
    a user changing his Windows password should update the encrypted
    password in the smbpasswd file as well. This is not happening on my
    server, ie the smbpasswd file is unchanged when a user updates the
    Windows password, and the user is prompted for a password when
    connecting to the samba shares on the server. I have the following set
    in smb.conf:

    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

    The /etc/smbpasswd file exists and has entries for the users. Are
    there any other smb.conf paramaters I need to set to get this to work?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

  2. Re: smbpasswd changed when Win password changed

    Is Samba the PDC ? and are the workstations full members of the domain ?

    domain master = Yes
    domain logons = Yes

    If you are running it as just a WORKGROUP, then each workstation is managing
    it's own logons. You need to create an NT DOMAIN with the workstations full
    members of the domain so that the Samba server is the logon server and
    manages the users and passwords.

    "Ed Brown" wrote in message
    news:c3a6c5f4.0308211003.533e6371@posting.google.c om...
    > I'm running samba on SCO Openserver 5.0.6, using encrypted passwords
    > and the smbpasswd file. From reading the documentation, it seems that
    > a user changing his Windows password should update the encrypted
    > password in the smbpasswd file as well. This is not happening on my
    > server, ie the smbpasswd file is unchanged when a user updates the
    > Windows password, and the user is prompted for a password when
    > connecting to the samba shares on the server. I have the following set
    > in smb.conf:
    >
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
    >
    > The /etc/smbpasswd file exists and has entries for the users. Are
    > there any other smb.conf paramaters I need to set to get this to work?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any replies.

  3. Re: smbpasswd changed when Win password changed

    The SCO system is running as part of a Workgroup. There is a Win2000
    server running as the PDC on the LAN. Is there any way to configure so
    that password changes can be pushed from the Win2K PDC to the
    smbpasswd file? I don't think I'll be allowed to make the SCO server
    the PDC on this LAN.

    "m.marien" wrote in message news:...
    > Is Samba the PDC ? and are the workstations full members of the domain ?
    >
    > domain master = Yes
    > domain logons = Yes
    >
    > If you are running it as just a WORKGROUP, then each workstation is managing
    > it's own logons. You need to create an NT DOMAIN with the workstations full
    > members of the domain so that the Samba server is the logon server and
    > manages the users and passwords.

  4. Re: smbpasswd changed when Win password changed

    "Ed Brown" wrote in message
    news:c3a6c5f4.0308261354.1f812e41@posting.google.c om...
    > The SCO system is running as part of a Workgroup. There is a Win2000
    > server running as the PDC on the LAN. Is there any way to configure so
    > that password changes can be pushed from the Win2K PDC to the
    > smbpasswd file? I don't think I'll be allowed to make the SCO server
    > the PDC on this LAN.

    Just make the Samba server a member of the NT domain. You won't require the
    smbpasswd file. Anyone that logs onto the domain will then have access to
    the Samba server. In your smb.conf file add the following:

    security = DOMAIN
    password server = *

    You workgroup should be the same as the NT domain.

    From the Samba documentation:

    In order to join the domain, first stop all Samba daemons and run the
    command:
    root# smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password

    as we are joining the domain DOM and the PDC for that domain (the only
    machine that has write access to the domain SAM database) is DOMPDC. The
    Administrator%password is the login name and password for an account which
    has the necessary privilege to add machines to the domain. If this is
    successful you will see the message:

    smbpasswd: Joined domain DOM.

    > > Is Samba the PDC ? and are the workstations full members of the domain ?
    > >
    > > domain master = Yes
    > > domain logons = Yes
    > >
    > > If you are running it as just a WORKGROUP, then each workstation is

    managing
    > > it's own logons. You need to create an NT DOMAIN with the workstations

    full
    > > members of the domain so that the Samba server is the logon server and
    > > manages the users and passwords.

+ Reply to Thread