Multiple-site SAMBA setup question - SMB

This is a discussion on Multiple-site SAMBA setup question - SMB ; Hello all, I'm setting up multiple small business sites connected via virtual WAN links (IPSec over internet connections, configured point-to-point VLANs with routing between RFC1918s). I've got three sites up now and am bringing up three more soon. The existing ...

  1. Multiple-site SAMBA setup question

    Hello all,
    I'm setting up multiple small business sites connected via virtual WAN
    links (IPSec over internet connections, configured point-to-point
    VLANs with routing between RFC1918s). I've got three sites up now and
    am bringing up three more soon. The existing sites need to be
    upgraded, and I'd like to move them from NT4 to Linux/Samba, and avoid
    buying Windows licenses for the three new servers. One requirement is
    that I need a singles security domain - users move from site to site
    and each site has multiple shares, and I they don't want users to have
    to manage multiple passwords.The links are DSL, so we'd prefer to have
    the ability to log in and access local shares if the WAN is down
    (meaning local server and local authent), but have the single
    logon/password company-wide (seemingly requiring a single NT domain or
    some sort of workgroup-Password-Sync capability).

    I've read lots of docs on SAMBA implementation, but I can't seem to
    find a good way to approximate an NT domain since SAMBA can't be a
    BDC. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done something
    similar before.

    Any information Appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Stan

  2. Re: Multiple-site SAMBA setup question

    Samba can be a "quasi" BDC, in that it can service logons without being the
    Master Browser.

    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = NO

    The problem is keeping the password database in sync amoung the Samba
    servers. There is some good information in the new 3.0 documentation. Maybe
    not the answer you are looking for, but it explains the problems.

    "Stan" wrote in message
    news:9a4a871d.0308210722.50fed365@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello all,
    > I'm setting up multiple small business sites connected via virtual WAN
    > links (IPSec over internet connections, configured point-to-point
    > VLANs with routing between RFC1918s). I've got three sites up now and
    > am bringing up three more soon. The existing sites need to be
    > upgraded, and I'd like to move them from NT4 to Linux/Samba, and avoid
    > buying Windows licenses for the three new servers. One requirement is
    > that I need a singles security domain - users move from site to site
    > and each site has multiple shares, and I they don't want users to have
    > to manage multiple passwords.The links are DSL, so we'd prefer to have
    > the ability to log in and access local shares if the WAN is down
    > (meaning local server and local authent), but have the single
    > logon/password company-wide (seemingly requiring a single NT domain or
    > some sort of workgroup-Password-Sync capability).
    >
    > I've read lots of docs on SAMBA implementation, but I can't seem to
    > find a good way to approximate an NT domain since SAMBA can't be a
    > BDC. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done something
    > similar before.
    >
    > Any information Appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Stan