Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww! - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww! - SMB ; Hi I've got a redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2 which works very well as a PDC and file sharing and print sharing on win2ks.. But with winXP it's very very slow.. have you got an idea? is there something to ...

  1. Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww!

    Hi I've got a redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2 which works very well as a PDC and
    file sharing and print sharing on win2ks..
    But with winXP it's very very slow.. have you got an idea?
    is there something to do?

    Thanx!
    Sugarkane

  2. Re: Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww!

    SugarKane wrote:

    > Hi I've got a redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2 which works very well as a PDC and
    > file sharing and print sharing on win2ks..
    > But with winXP it's very very slow.. have you got an idea?
    > is there something to do?
    >
    > Thanx!
    > Sugarkane

    Have you tried changing the registry values on the WinXP machine? Try
    changing the block sizes.

    Ben O'B

  3. Re: Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww!

    "Ben O" wrote in message
    news:3f446aec$0$23595$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net. au...
    > SugarKane wrote:
    >
    > > Hi I've got a redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2 which works very well as a PDC

    and
    > > file sharing and print sharing on win2ks..
    > > But with winXP it's very very slow.. have you got an idea?
    > > is there something to do?
    > >

    > Have you tried changing the registry values on the WinXP machine? Try
    > changing the block sizes.

    Do you have a suggestion for the block sizes ? I want to see if I can tune
    up the XP <-> Samba communication especially the logon speed ..

  4. Re: Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww!

    imbsysop wrote:
    > "Ben O" wrote in message
    > news:3f446aec$0$23595$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net. au...
    >
    >>SugarKane wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi I've got a redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2 which works very well as a PDC

    > and
    >
    >>>file sharing and print sharing on win2ks..
    >>>But with winXP it's very very slow.. have you got an idea?
    >>>is there something to do?
    >>>

    >>Have you tried changing the registry values on the WinXP machine? Try
    >>changing the block sizes.

    > Do you have a suggestion for the block sizes ? I want to see if I can tune
    > up the XP <-> Samba communication especially the logon speed ..

    I've got a feeling that the info you need is on the Samba web site.
    Sorry for the vagueness, but it's been a while since I've tinkered with it.

    Ben O

  5. Re: Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww!

    imbsysop wrote:

    > "Ben O" wrote in message
    > news:3f446aec$0$23595$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net. au...
    >
    >>SugarKane wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi I've got a redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2 which works very well as a PDC

    > and
    >
    >>>file sharing and print sharing on win2ks..
    >>>But with winXP it's very very slow.. have you got an idea?
    >>>is there something to do?
    >>>

    >>Have you tried changing the registry values on the WinXP machine? Try
    >>changing the block sizes.

    > Do you have a suggestion for the block sizes ? I want to see if I can tune
    > up the XP <-> Samba communication especially the logon speed ..

    Most possibly in the howto.

    Ben O

  6. Re: Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww!

    "SugarKane" wrote in message
    > Hi I've got a redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2 which works very well as a PDC and
    > file sharing and print sharing on win2ks..
    > But with winXP it's very very slow.. have you got an idea?
    > is there something to do?
    >
    > Thanx!
    > Sugarkane

    I thought I remembered seeing a confirmed performance problem with XP
    netbios in an environment that uses routers. The solution was to switch to
    a hub or get the perscribed patch from MS.

    Did you try looking in the MS knowledge base for XP netbeui performance
    problems?

  7. Re: Samba 2.2 and windows XP so sloww!

    "Ben O" wrote in message
    news:3f456c9e$0$23584$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net. au...
    > imbsysop wrote:
    > > "Ben O" wrote in message
    > > news:3f446aec$0$23595$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net. au...

    > > and

    > >>Have you tried changing the registry values on the WinXP machine? Try
    > >>changing the block sizes.

    > > Do you have a suggestion for the block sizes ? I want to see if I can

    tune
    > > up the XP <-> Samba communication especially the logon speed ..
    > >

    > I've got a feeling that the info you need is on the Samba web site.
    > Sorry for the vagueness, but it's been a while since I've tinkered with

    it.

    ok .. but my Q emerges from the fact that I've been browsing the internet
    for 2 weeks in order to get info on how to setup a samba PDC with XP
    machines and I did not encounter any info on fine tuning packet size :-)
    (.. and the flaw I had turned out to be a buggy samba setup on the server ..
    :-( )

+ Reply to Thread