samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP - SMB

This is a discussion on samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP - SMB ; Can samba work with NetBIOS, rather than TCP/IP? If so, how?...

  1. samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    Can samba work with NetBIOS, rather than TCP/IP? If so, how?

  2. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    Johnny Ventura wrote:

    > Can samba work with NetBIOS, rather than TCP/IP? If so, how?

    Sorry, the question makes no sense.

    NetBIOS is a programming API to enable various session and presentation
    layer services. It is not, in and of itself, a network protocol.

    Samba implements a CIFS server. CIFS (aka SMB) already uses NetBIOS over
    TCP/IP.

    The name "NetBIOS" is sometimes used, in IBM circles, to describe the
    network protocol otherwise known as NetBEUI. NetBEUI is a simple protocol
    and rather unfeatured - no routing, no hierarchical name space, very little
    load-balancing or failover etc .... you don't want to use NetBEUI!!

    Cheers
    Andrew

  3. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    Andrew McLaren wrote:
    > Johnny Ventura wrote:

    ....snip.

    > The name "NetBIOS" is sometimes used, in IBM circles, to describe the
    > network protocol otherwise known as NetBEUI. NetBEUI is a simple protocol
    > and rather unfeatured - no routing, no hierarchical name space, very little
    > load-balancing or failover etc .... you don't want to use NetBEUI!!

    Although, it is a not uncommon configuration with a cable/adsl hub, to
    use NetBEUI within the LAN, to be sure that the traffic cannot leak to
    the net.

    David

  4. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    To clarify:

    My Windows XT Home Edition machines only use the following protocol for file
    and print sharing:

    "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". That is its exact
    name as specified in windows.

    My question is whether samba can recognize this protocol? If so, how?

    (There are no bindings to TCP/IP)

    "Andrew McLaren" wrote in message
    news:Xns93DDDCB118FE4andrewmclaren@210.49.20.254.. .
    > Johnny Ventura wrote:
    >
    > > Can samba work with NetBIOS, rather than TCP/IP? If so, how?

    > Sorry, the question makes no sense.
    >
    > NetBIOS is a programming API to enable various session and presentation
    > layer services. It is not, in and of itself, a network protocol.
    >
    > Samba implements a CIFS server. CIFS (aka SMB) already uses NetBIOS over
    > TCP/IP.
    >
    > The name "NetBIOS" is sometimes used, in IBM circles, to describe the
    > network protocol otherwise known as NetBEUI. NetBEUI is a simple protocol
    > and rather unfeatured - no routing, no hierarchical name space, very

    little
    > load-balancing or failover etc .... you don't want to use NetBEUI!!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andrew

  5. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    Johnny Ventura wrote:

    > To clarify:
    >
    > My Windows XT Home Edition machines only use the following protocol
    > for file and print sharing:
    >
    > "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". That is its
    > exact name as specified in windows.
    >
    > My question is whether samba can recognize this protocol? If so, how?
    >
    > (There are no bindings to TCP/IP)

    NWLink is Microsoft's clone of the IPX/SPX protocol once used by Novell
    Netware. Once upon a time, IPX was a common protocol on corporate LANs.
    These days, it has been replaced by TCP/IP; even at sites which still run
    Netware Servers (except for a few Netware 3.11 hold-outs).

    Samba is a TCP/IP application. It uses TCP/IP to communicate with clients.
    Samba cannot communicate using IPX/SPX.

    Since Sockets can be used for both TCP/IP and IPX, you could - in theory -
    adapt Samba to use IPX; but there's no point.

    XP uses TCP/IP by default. I guess you must have replaced it with IPX at
    some stage. For practical purposes, your best bet would be to install
    TCP/IP instead of IPX on your XP box and just use TCP/IP. TCP/IP is by far
    the most universal linga franca of networking; and with good reason - it is
    superior to IPX, DECNet, SNA and other deceased protocls of the past.

    Cheers
    Andrew

  6. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    "Andrew McLaren" wrote in message
    news:Xns93DDDCB118FE4andrewmclaren@210.49.20.254.. .
    > Johnny Ventura wrote:
    >
    > > Can samba work with NetBIOS, rather than TCP/IP? If so, how?

    > Sorry, the question makes no sense.
    >
    > NetBIOS is a programming API to enable various session and presentation
    > layer services. It is not, in and of itself, a network protocol.
    >
    > Samba implements a CIFS server. CIFS (aka SMB) already uses NetBIOS over
    > TCP/IP.
    >
    > The name "NetBIOS" is sometimes used, in IBM circles, to describe the
    > network protocol otherwise known as NetBEUI. NetBEUI is a simple protocol
    > and rather unfeatured - no routing, no hierarchical name space, very

    little
    > load-balancing or failover etc .... you don't want to use NetBEUI!!

    But you might, if part of your network (purely for experimental reasons) is
    a Tandy 1000 running the old ms lanman client that can only handle netbeui
    on an 8088 (TCP/IP requires a 286). I had this working nicely with windows
    98, but have been wondering if there is any way to get linux to speak
    netbeui. I'm expecting the answer to be no!

    matt

    > Cheers
    > Andrew

    ---

  7. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    "matt" wrote in

    > From: "Stephen"
    > Subject: Re: Newbie networking question
    > Newsgroups: redhat.networking.general
    > Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:02:11 GMT
    >
    > spacepatrol,
    >
    > the setup I described in the other thread works after rebooting both
    > machines.
    >

    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 03:06:20 +0000, Stephen wrote:
    >

    >> We have the same setup and the same problem. If you
    >> find an answer, please post it back here. I will do
    >> the same.
    >>
    >> I am in the thread 'RH9 on newbie LAN'
    >>

    >> On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:11:23 +0000, spacepatrol wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone suggest a link that might help a Linux newbie in enabling
    >>> file- sharing between a Redhat 9 machine and a Windows 98 machine?
    >>>
    >>> They are connected via a Dlink DI-604 router, dhcp. Both machines
    >>> are surfing and can log into the router. The Windows machine can
    >>> ping the Redhat but the Redhat can not ping the Windows.
    >>>
    >>> The Redhat machine does not show up in Network Neighborhood on the
    >>> Windows machine.
    >>>
    >>> Just a helpful link or site would be great...Thanks a lot!!!!

    Thank you! I will study that and give it a try.

  8. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    matt wrote:

    > "Andrew McLaren" wrote in message
    > news:Xns93DDDCB118FE4andrewmclaren@210.49.20.254.. .

    snip
    > But you might, if part of your network (purely for experimental reasons) is
    > a Tandy 1000 running the old ms lanman client that can only handle netbeui
    > on an 8088 (TCP/IP requires a 286). I had this working nicely with windows
    > 98, but have been wondering if there is any way to get linux to speak
    > netbeui. I'm expecting the answer to be no!

    Have a look at http://zhubr.tamb.ru/samba/ (not tested personaly).

    Regards,

    Jerome

  9. Re: samba with NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP

    "Jerome Fenal" wrote in message
    > matt wrote:
    >
    > > "Andrew McLaren" wrote in message
    > > news:Xns93DDDCB118FE4andrewmclaren@210.49.20.254.. .

    > snip
    > > But you might, if part of your network (purely for experimental reasons)

    is
    > > a Tandy 1000 running the old ms lanman client that can only handle

    netbeui
    > > on an 8088 (TCP/IP requires a 286). I had this working nicely with

    windows
    > > 98, but have been wondering if there is any way to get linux to speak
    > > netbeui. I'm expecting the answer to be no!
    > >

    > Have a look at http://zhubr.tamb.ru/samba/ (not tested personaly).

    Looks like that will go some way towards doing the job!!

    many thanks,
    matt

    --
    matthew fullerton
    RH Linux 9 kernel-2.4.20-19.9. on K6-2-500 with Samba 2.2.7a

    ---