HELP: Samba 3.0.0RC1 logon trouble - SMB

This is a discussion on HELP: Samba 3.0.0RC1 logon trouble - SMB ; Hello. I switched to Samba 3.0.0-RC1 from 2.2.8a today and tried to migrate the smb.conf file. I did several changes with new parameters but not essentially to the authentication stuff. Authentication is done plaintext-stylish with smbpasswd. [homes] section access works ...

  1. HELP: Samba 3.0.0RC1 logon trouble

    Hello.

    I switched to Samba 3.0.0-RC1 from 2.2.8a today and tried to migrate
    the smb.conf file.

    I did several changes with new parameters but not essentially to
    the authentication stuff. Authentication is done plaintext-stylish
    with smbpasswd.

    [homes] section access works well. Sections with explicitely given
    valid user = @valid usr, user1, user2 work well, also. But configurations
    with the same config as the working ones except 'valid users = %U'
    does not work. Log file shows for instance

    [2003/08/17 17:31:35, 2] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(384)
    user 'ohartman' (from session setup) not permitted to access this share (SCRACTH)

    (user ohartman is me), SCRATCH is a common share that should be available for
    all.

    This is the config for [SCRATCH]:

    admin users= administrator,@smbadmin
    allow hosts= some IPs
    127.0.0.1
    available= yes
    browseable= yes
    case sensitive= yes
    comment= SCRATCH
    create mask= 0750
    default case= lower
    directory mask= 0750
    directory security mask= 0777
    dont descend= /etc,/root,/dev,/proc
    #dos filemode= no
    #dos filetime resolution= no
    #dos filetimes= no
    follow symlinks= no
    force create mode= 0750
    force directory mode= 0750
    #force directory security mode=
    force group= nogroup
    #force security mode=
    force user= nobody
    guest ok= no
    hide dot files= no
    #hide files=
    #hide special files=
    #hide unreadable=
    #hide unwriteable files=
    #mangle case= no
    #mangled map=
    #mangled names= yes
    #mangling char=
    max connections= 512
    #only user= yes
    path= /usr/scratch
    read only= yes
    #security mask= 0777
    use sendfile= yes
    valid users= %U
    #-valid
    writeable= no
    write list= %U

    This does not work, but this works:

    change valid users = ohartman,@wheel
    change write list = ohartman,@wheel

    It seems to me that the old way offering a share for all members of the
    servering domain (maintained via smbpasswd and UNIX passwd) as liek in
    2.2.8a does not work in 3.0.0 anymore. Can anybode help?

    Thanks in advance,
    Oliver

    MfG
    O. Hartmann

    ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
    Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
    Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
    Becherweg 21
    55099 Mainz

    Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)
    Tel: +496131/3924144 (Buero)
    FAX: +496131/3923532

  2. Re: HELP: Samba 3.0.0RC1 logon trouble

    O. Hartmann wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I switched to Samba 3.0.0-RC1 from 2.2.8a today and tried to migrate
    > the smb.conf file.
    >
    > I did several changes with new parameters but not essentially to
    > the authentication stuff. Authentication is done plaintext-stylish
    > with smbpasswd.

    > force user= nobody
    > guest ok= no

    ????
    I guess samba gets as much confused about your settings as I am.
    "nobody" _is_ the default guest account, so go figure ...

+ Reply to Thread