More than one Workgroup needed... but how ? - SMB

This is a discussion on More than one Workgroup needed... but how ? - SMB ; I am running a Linux Server (SuSE) and Samba 2.4 The problem: A friend of mine and I would like to connect our computers in a network. Another friend who has a company wants me to be able to print ...

  1. More than one Workgroup needed... but how ?

    I am running a Linux Server (SuSE) and Samba 2.4

    The problem:
    A friend of mine and I would like to connect our computers in a
    network.
    Another friend who has a company wants me to be able to print in his
    company.
    to make things a little bit more complicated, there is third friend,
    who wants to use my resources.
    The rest of them is a Windows World (one with XP, the next with Win
    2000).

    How can I tell my Linux Samba Server to
    - not let the other two guys know that I am in other network at the
    same time
    and
    - how can I let each computer think that I am the only WORKGROUP in
    the world.

    thanks for you contribution.

    my email adress: merkc@web.de
    thnx.

  2. Re: More than one Workgroup needed... but how ?

    Christoph merkc@web.de wrote:

    > I am running a Linux Server (SuSE) and Samba 2.4
    >
    > The problem:
    > A friend of mine and I would like to connect our computers in a
    > network.
    > Another friend who has a company wants me to be able to print in his
    > company.

    Does he use a simple workgroup or a domain? In any case, I would - just
    for remote printing - use ipp or lpr/lpd instead. Make your friend
    install the "print services for unix" on the box(en) serving the
    printer(s). It's included with win2K and XP Pro.

    > to make things a little bit more complicated, there is third friend,
    > who wants to use my resources.
    > The rest of them is a Windows World (one with XP, the next with Win
    > 2000).
    >
    > How can I tell my Linux Samba Server to
    > - not let the other two guys know that I am in other network at the
    > same time
    > and
    > - how can I let each computer think that I am the only WORKGROUP in
    > the world.

    http://www.faqchest.com/linux/samba-...005_08355.html

    However, you can always join multiple workgroups as a client.

    Btw., do you use a laptop or a VPN? If you - and even more your
    windows-equipped friends - are trying to use netbios over the i-net,
    you will find that most ISPs block these ports for good reasons.

+ Reply to Thread