Yet another poor sole who needs help - SMB

This is a discussion on Yet another poor sole who needs help - SMB ; I have a file server running Mandrake 9.1, samba Version 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix It has the following smb.conf file [global] workgroup = harms server string = Samba Server %v log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m max log size = 50 log level = 3 ...

  1. Yet another poor sole who needs help

    I have a file server running Mandrake 9.1, samba Version
    2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix

    It has the following smb.conf file

    [global]
    workgroup = harms
    server string = Samba Server %v
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    log level = 3
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    case sensitive = no

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

    [tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

    It works from my Windows 98 box if I enter in my smb password. I can
    read and write no problem.

    My other Linux box running the same mandrake and with this in the
    /etc/fstab file

    //navy/walter /mnt/home smbfs rw,username=walter,password= 0 0

    From the client, all the files are owned by root, and as a user I can't
    write to them. From the server, the file permissions are normal, owned
    by me. My UID is the same on both systems. The username and password was
    required to make it work.

    I've checked some of the troubleshooting documents but they don't cover
    linux clients very well and I didn't see my problem described.

    Can anyone give me a hand?

    Walter

  2. Re: Yet another poor sole who needs help

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Walter Harms wrote:
    >

    >>I have a file server running Mandrake 9.1, samba Version
    >>2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix
    >>
    >>It has the following smb.conf file
    >>
    >>[global]
    >> workgroup = harms
    >> server string = Samba Server %v
    >> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    >> max log size = 50
    >> log level = 3
    >> hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
    >> security = user
    >> encrypt passwords = yes
    >> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    >> dns proxy = no
    >> case sensitive = no
    >>
    >>[homes]
    >> comment = Home Directories
    >> browseable = no
    >> writable = yes
    >>
    >>[tmp]
    >> comment = Temporary file space
    >> path = /tmp
    >> read only = no
    >> public = yes
    >>
    >>It works from my Windows 98 box if I enter in my smb password. I can
    >>read and write no problem.
    >>
    >>My other Linux box running the same mandrake and with this in the
    >>/etc/fstab file
    >>
    >>//navy/walter /mnt/home smbfs rw,username=walter,password= 0 0
    >>
    >> From the client, all the files are owned by root, and as a user I can't
    >>write to them. From the server, the file permissions are normal, owned
    >>by me. My UID is the same on both systems. The username and password was
    >>required to make it work.
    >>

    > The line should look something like
    > smbfs,credentials=/etc/samba3/walter.floh,gid=users,fmask=664,dmask=775,iocharse t=iso8859-15,rw
    > 0 0
    >
    > You can - for security - substitute the plaintext pw with a credentials file
    > which contains "username = walter" and "password = ....." in separate
    > lines. Also, the meaning of gid, fmask and dmask should be self-explaining.

    Thanks Walter

    This is a test environment for my own education and I'm the only one on
    it so I'm not using the crdentials file. I had to modify your suggestion
    slightly:

    //navy/walter /mnt/home smbfs
    username=walter,password=,gid=walter,uid=walter,fmask=644,dmask=775,iochars et=iso8859-15,rw
    0 0

    I found the uid=walter entry necessary for it to work the way I want.

    I really appreciate you quick and accurate response. Always nice to know
    another Walter.

    Walter

+ Reply to Thread