Can't see samba server 'network path not found' - SMB

This is a discussion on Can't see samba server 'network path not found' - SMB ; Hello all - I've installed samba 2.2.6 on a SCO unix box and can access from an XP laptop ok. However, on a Windows 2000 desktop, I can't access the samba server and it doesn't show up in the Network ...

  1. Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    Hello all -

    I've installed samba 2.2.6 on a SCO unix box and can access from an XP
    laptop ok. However, on a Windows 2000 desktop, I can't access the samba
    server and it doesn't show up in the Network Places folder.

    I assume that the samba install on the unix box is ok since it can be
    accessed from the XP laptop.

    I've been thru alot of previous postings and have tried unencrpyted userid
    passwd, encrypted passwords, adding the ip address to the lmhosts file.

    I can ping & ftp between the W2000 & samba machines ok.

    If I try "net view \\192.168.1.200", windows complaing 'network path not
    found'. Likewise with the netbios name, "net view \\gcomsco".

    I suspect the problem is in the W2k machine. Anyone have any clues how to
    fix, or further diagnose?

    Thanks,
    bruce

  2. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    nospam wrote:

    > Hello all -
    >
    > I've installed samba 2.2.6 on a SCO unix box and can access from an XP
    > laptop ok. However, on a Windows 2000 desktop, I can't access the samba
    > server and it doesn't show up in the Network Places folder.
    >
    > I assume that the samba install on the unix box is ok since it can be
    > accessed from the XP laptop.
    >
    > I've been thru alot of previous postings and have tried unencrpyted userid
    > passwd, encrypted passwords, adding the ip address to the lmhosts file.
    >
    > I can ping & ftp between the W2000 & samba machines ok.
    >
    > If I try "net view \\192.168.1.200", windows complaing 'network path not
    > found'. Likewise with the netbios name, "net view \\gcomsco".

    What about "nbtstat -A 192.168.1.200 -S" on the windows box?
    Now, your advanced tcpip settings on the 2K box ... do they state "netbios
    enabled" or "obtain from dhcp" or even "disabled"?
    Some sort of "windows firewall" active?

  3. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    "Walter Mautner" wrote in message
    > nospam wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all -
    > >
    > > I've installed samba 2.2.6 on a SCO unix box and can access from an XP
    > > laptop ok. However, on a Windows 2000 desktop, I can't access the

    samba
    > > server and it doesn't show up in the Network Places folder.
    > >
    > > I assume that the samba install on the unix box is ok since it can be
    > > accessed from the XP laptop.
    > >
    > > I've been thru alot of previous postings and have tried unencrpyted

    userid
    > > passwd, encrypted passwords, adding the ip address to the lmhosts file.
    > >
    > > I can ping & ftp between the W2000 & samba machines ok.
    > >
    > > If I try "net view \\192.168.1.200", windows complaing 'network path

    not
    > > found'. Likewise with the netbios name, "net view \\gcomsco".
    > >

    > What about "nbtstat -A 192.168.1.200 -S" on the windows box?
    > Now, your advanced tcpip settings on the 2K box ... do they state "netbios
    > enabled" or "obtain from dhcp" or even "disabled"?
    > Some sort of "windows firewall" active?

    Walter -
    Thanks for the reply.
    Below is the output of the nbtstat command (server2000 is the W2k machine
    192.168.1.100).
    Under the advance tcpip WINS settings:
    'Enable NetBios over TCP/IP'
    'Enable LMHOSTS lookup'

    Under IP Settings: DHCP Enabled
    Under DNS: no server addresses
    'Append primary & connection spec'

    Does this provide any clues?

    Thanks,
    bruce

    Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []

    NetBIOS Connection Table
    Local Name State In/Out Remote Host Input
    Output
    ----
    SERVER2000 <03> Listening
    ADMINISTRATOR <03> Listening

  4. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    nospam wrote:

    >> > I can ping & ftp between the W2000 & samba machines ok.
    >> >
    >> > If I try "net view \\192.168.1.200", windows complaing 'network
    >> > path

    > not
    >> > found'. Likewise with the netbios name, "net view \\gcomsco".
    >> >

    >> What about "nbtstat -A 192.168.1.200 -S" on the windows box?
    >> Now, your advanced tcpip settings on the 2K box ... do they state
    >> "netbios enabled" or "obtain from dhcp" or even "disabled"?
    >> Some sort of "windows firewall" active?
    >>

    > Walter -
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Below is the output of the nbtstat command (server2000 is the W2k
    > machine 192.168.1.100).
    > Under the advance tcpip WINS settings:
    > 'Enable NetBios over TCP/IP'
    > 'Enable LMHOSTS lookup'
    >
    > Under IP Settings: DHCP Enabled
    > Under DNS: no server addresses
    > 'Append primary & connection spec'
    >
    > Does this provide any clues?

    You may want to try to add the 192.168.1.100 as a wins server address,
    however broadcast in a small network _should_ also work.
    > ---------- NBTSTAT OUTPUT -----------------------------------
    > C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.200 -S

    Ouch, forgive me, I meant the samba server, confused the adddresses ...
    So do a nbtstat -A 192.168.1.100 from the .200 station please .
    Also make sure you have a working guest account (ftp, nobody) on the
    samba server and the line "guest account = ..." in your smb.conf,
    as well as your users added to smbpasswd with "smbpasswd -a $username".

  5. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    > nospam wrote:

    << snip>>
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > Below is the output of the nbtstat command (server2000 is the W2k
    > > machine 192.168.1.100).
    > > Under the advance tcpip WINS settings:
    > > 'Enable NetBios over TCP/IP'
    > > 'Enable LMHOSTS lookup'
    > >
    > > Under IP Settings: DHCP Enabled
    > > Under DNS: no server addresses
    > > 'Append primary & connection spec'
    > >
    > > Does this provide any clues?
    > >

    > You may want to try to add the 192.168.1.100 as a wins server address,
    > however broadcast in a small network _should_ also work.
    > > ---------- NBTSTAT OUTPUT -----------------------------------
    > > C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.200 -S

    > Ouch, forgive me, I meant the samba server, confused the adddresses ...
    > So do a nbtstat -A 192.168.1.100 from the .200 station please .
    > Also make sure you have a working guest account (ftp, nobody) on the
    > samba server and the line "guest account = ..." in your smb.conf,
    > as well as your users added to smbpasswd with "smbpasswd -a $username".

    Walter -

    Here is the output of the nmblookup on the samba server. I added the guest
    account = and a smbpasswd.

    I believe the problem is on the W2k box, since I can access unix shares from
    an XP laptop.

    On XP, I see the SCO box and the W2k machine in the Network Places folder.

    On W2k, I can see the XP laptop but can not see the SCO box.

    Your help and suggestion are appreciated.

    Thanks,
    bruce

    -------------- nmblookup output -----------------
    This is output from SCO (GCOMSCO) nmblookup on W2k address (SERVER2000).

    Looking up status of 192.168.1.100
    SERVER2000 <03> - B
    INet~Services <1c> - B
    IS~SERVER2000 <00> - B
    ADMINISTRATOR <03> - B

    Looking up status of 0.0.0.0
    GCOMSCO <00> - B
    GCOMSCO <03> - B
    GCOMSCO <20> - B
    WORKGROUP <00> - B
    WORKGROUP <1e> - B

  6. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    nospam wrote:

    > "Walter Mautner" wrote in
    > message news:vjn211-u76.ln1@woodpecker.homnet.at...
    >> nospam wrote:

    > << snip>>
    >> > Thanks for the reply.
    >> > Below is the output of the nbtstat command (server2000 is the W2k
    >> > machine 192.168.1.100).
    >> > Under the advance tcpip WINS settings:
    >> > 'Enable NetBios over TCP/IP'
    >> > 'Enable LMHOSTS lookup'
    >> >
    >> > Under IP Settings: DHCP Enabled
    >> > Under DNS: no server addresses
    >> > 'Append primary & connection spec'
    >> >
    >> > Does this provide any clues?
    >> >

    >> You may want to try to add the 192.168.1.100 as a wins server
    >> address, however broadcast in a small network _should_ also work.
    >> > ---------- NBTSTAT OUTPUT -----------------------------------
    >> > C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.200 -S

    >> Ouch, forgive me, I meant the samba server, confused the adddresses
    >> ... So do a nbtstat -A 192.168.1.100 from the .200 station please .
    >> Also make sure you have a working guest account (ftp, nobody) on the
    >> samba server and the line "guest account = ..." in your smb.conf,
    >> as well as your users added to smbpasswd with "smbpasswd -a
    >> $username".
    >>

    > Walter -
    >
    > Here is the output of the nmblookup on the samba server. I added the
    > guest account = and a smbpasswd.
    >
    > I believe the problem is on the W2k box, since I can access unix
    > shares from an XP laptop.
    >
    > On XP, I see the SCO box and the W2k machine in the Network Places
    > folder.
    >
    > On W2k, I can see the XP laptop but can not see the SCO box.
    >
    > Your help and suggestion are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > bruce
    >
    > -------------- nmblookup output -----------------
    > This is output from SCO (GCOMSCO) nmblookup on W2k address
    > (SERVER2000).

    ..... wrong again. I wanted to know the view of the server (samba, sco)
    from the viewpoint of the client(s). Do - in a cmd window - "nbtstat -a
    gcomsco -S". Best is, you do it from the laptop as well as from the 2K
    box.
    You should get something like
    Name Typ Status^M
    ---------------------------------------------^M
    WOODPECKER <00> UNIQUE registered ^M
    WOODPECKER <03> UNIQUE registered ^M
    WOODPECKER <20> UNIQUE registered ^M
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP registered ^M
    HOMNET <00> GROUP registered ^M
    HOMNET <1C> GROUP registered ^M
    HOMNET <1D> UNIQUE registered ^M
    HOMNET <1E> GROUP registered ^M
    ^M

  7. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    > nospam wrote:
    >

    > > "Walter Mautner" wrote in
    > > message news:vjn211-u76.ln1@woodpecker.homnet.at...
    > >> nospam wrote:

    > > << snip>>

    > >> You may want to try to add the 192.168.1.100 as a wins server
    > >> address, however broadcast in a small network _should_ also work.
    > >>
    > >> Ouch, forgive me, I meant the samba server, confused the adddresses
    > >> ... So do a nbtstat -A 192.168.1.100 from the .200 station please .
    > >> Also make sure you have a working guest account (ftp, nobody) on the
    > >> samba server and the line "guest account = ..." in your smb.conf,
    > >> as well as your users added to smbpasswd with "smbpasswd -a
    > >> $username".
    > >>

    > > Walter -
    > >
    > > Here is the output of the nmblookup on the samba server. I added the
    > > guest account = and a smbpasswd.
    > >
    > > I believe the problem is on the W2k box, since I can access unix
    > > shares from an XP laptop.
    > >
    > > On XP, I see the SCO box and the W2k machine in the Network Places
    > > folder.
    > >
    > > On W2k, I can see the XP laptop but can not see the SCO box.
    > >
    > > Your help and suggestion are appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > bruce
    > >
    > > -------------- nmblookup output -----------------
    > > This is output from SCO (GCOMSCO) nmblookup on W2k address
    > > (SERVER2000).
    > >

    > .... wrong again. I wanted to know the view of the server (samba, sco)
    > from the viewpoint of the client(s). Do - in a cmd window - "nbtstat -a
    > gcomsco -S". Best is, you do it from the laptop as well as from the 2K
    > box.
    > You should get something like
    > Name Typ Status^M
    > ---------------------------------------------^M
    > WOODPECKER <00> UNIQUE registered ^M
    > WOODPECKER <03> UNIQUE registered ^M
    > WOODPECKER <20> UNIQUE registered ^M
    > ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP registered ^M
    > HOMNET <00> GROUP registered ^M
    > HOMNET <1C> GROUP registered ^M
    > HOMNET <1D> UNIQUE registered ^M
    > HOMNET <1E> GROUP registered ^M
    > ^M

    Walter -
    Here is the output from the laptop which can connect to the samba server
    (GCOMSCO):

    Network Bridge:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.101] Scope Id: []

    NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

    Name Type Status
    GCOMSCO <00> UNIQUE Registered
    GCOMSCO <03> UNIQUE Registered
    GCOMSCO <20> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered

    Here is the output from the W2k box which can't connect or see the samba
    server:

    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []

    NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

    Name Type Status
    GCOMSCO <00> UNIQUE Registered
    GCOMSCO <03> UNIQUE Registered
    GCOMSCO <20> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered

    MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

    I see some significant differences but don't know what to do about them.
    Why wouldn't the W2k box have the 'MSBROWSE' name ?
    FWIW, the W2k box and laptop can see each others shares...

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks again,
    bruce

  8. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    nospam wrote:
    > Walter -
    > Here is the output from the laptop which can connect to the samba
    > server (GCOMSCO):
    >
    > Network Bridge:
    > Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.101] Scope Id: []
    >
    > NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
    >
    > Name Type Status
    > GCOMSCO <00> UNIQUE Registered
    > GCOMSCO <03> UNIQUE Registered
    > GCOMSCO <20> UNIQUE Registered
    > ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
    > WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    > WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    > WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    >

    > Here is the output from the W2k box which can't connect or see the
    > samba server:
    >
    > Local Area Connection:
    > Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []
    >
    > NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
    >
    > Name Type Status
    > GCOMSCO <00> UNIQUE Registered
    > GCOMSCO <03> UNIQUE Registered
    > GCOMSCO <20> UNIQUE Registered
    > WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    > WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    >
    > MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00
    >

    > I see some significant differences but don't know what to do about
    > them.
    > Why wouldn't the W2k box have the 'MSBROWSE' name ?
    > FWIW, the W2k box and laptop can see each others shares...
    >
    > Any suggestion?

    Oh yes. The only box that should hold the "msbrowse" has to be the samba
    server. Please take care to have "local master", "preferred
    master","domain master" all set to yes on the smb.conf. The entry
    "domain master" doesn't make your samba box a domain server, for that
    purpose you need "domain logons" also set, and you have to define a
    netlogon share.
    Now I see another anomaly: do both machines share the same netbios name
    GCOMSCO???

  9. Re: Can't see samba server 'network path not found'

    > nospam wrote:
    > > Walter -
    > > Here is the output from the laptop which can connect to the samba
    > > server (GCOMSCO):
    > >
    > > Network Bridge:
    > > Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.101] Scope Id: []
    > >
    > > NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
    > >
    > > Name Type Status
    > > GCOMSCO <00> UNIQUE Registered
    > > GCOMSCO <03> UNIQUE Registered
    > > GCOMSCO <20> UNIQUE Registered
    > > ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
    > > WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    > > WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    > > WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    > >

    > > Here is the output from the W2k box which can't connect or see the
    > > samba server:
    > >
    > > Local Area Connection:
    > > Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []
    > >
    > > NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
    > >
    > > Name Type Status
    > > GCOMSCO <00> UNIQUE Registered
    > > GCOMSCO <03> UNIQUE Registered
    > > GCOMSCO <20> UNIQUE Registered
    > > WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    > > WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    > >
    > > MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00
    > >

    > > I see some significant differences but don't know what to do about
    > > them.
    > > Why wouldn't the W2k box have the 'MSBROWSE' name ?
    > > FWIW, the W2k box and laptop can see each others shares...
    > >
    > > Any suggestion?
    > >

    > Oh yes. The only box that should hold the "msbrowse" has to be the samba
    > server. Please take care to have "local master", "preferred
    > master","domain master" all set to yes on the smb.conf. The entry
    > "domain master" doesn't make your samba box a domain server, for that
    > purpose you need "domain logons" also set, and you have to define a
    > netlogon share.
    > Now I see another anomaly: do both machines share the same netbios name
    > GCOMSCO???

    Walter,
    Thanks again for help me out with this. It's very frustrating trying to
    decipher this.

    There aren't 2 GCOMSCO names - the previous output was 2 different machines
    doing an nbstat of the samba box ( which is GCOMSCO).

    I've made the smb.conf changes as you suggested. The nbtstat now looks the
    same
    as the XP laptop ( the machine that is working properly).

    But, alas, I still can't see the samba server from w2k - neither Network
    Places
    or 'net view \\gcomsco' work....

    Thanks again for the help. It's getting closer...

    Regards,
    bruce

+ Reply to Thread