Username & Password Requested When Opening Share - SMB

This is a discussion on Username & Password Requested When Opening Share - SMB ; I have set share level security, but I am still asked for a username & password when attempting to open a share. When I enter credentials they are not accepted. Neither root or any other user. What have I done ...

  1. Username & Password Requested When Opening Share

    I have set share level security, but I am still asked for a username &
    password when attempting to open a share. When I enter credentials they are
    not accepted. Neither root or any other user. What have I done wrong?
    I am a complete novice on unix/samba and have looked through all
    documentation and run testparms ans smbclient and nothing is apparently
    wrong.
    Help!

  2. Re: Username & Password Requested When Opening Share

    "Bill Glidden" wrote in message
    > I have set share level security, but I am still asked for a username &
    > password when attempting to open a share. When I enter credentials they

    are
    > not accepted. Neither root or any other user. What have I done wrong?
    > I am a complete novice on unix/samba and have looked through all
    > documentation and run testparms ans smbclient and nothing is apparently
    > wrong.
    > Help!

    My best guess is you gotta use encrypted passwords.

    It's frustrating for me too, but I use www.webmin.com/ to setup samba and I
    just check features here and there and see if that works.

    Here is what my FreeBSD box has:

    ========
    [global]
    dns proxy = no