3.0 beta install question - SMB

This is a discussion on 3.0 beta install question - SMB ; I am running Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 and am trying to install the rpm samba-3.0.0beta3-1.i386.rpm. When I use the GnomeRPM utility to start the install, I get the error stating that this rpm requires libcups.so.2. Where can I find ...

  1. 3.0 beta install question

    I am running Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 and am trying to install the
    rpm samba-3.0.0beta3-1.i386.rpm. When I use the GnomeRPM utility to start
    the install, I get the error stating that this rpm requires libcups.so.2.
    Where can I find this? Your help is appreciated.

    Anthony

  2. Re: 3.0 beta install question

    In article ,
    "Anthony" writes:

    > I am running Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 and am trying to install the
    > rpm samba-3.0.0beta3-1.i386.rpm. When I use the GnomeRPM utility to start
    > the install, I get the error stating that this rpm requires libcups.so.2.
    > Where can I find this? Your help is appreciated.

    The libcups.so.2 library is part of the CUPS package. I don't know offhand
    if any precompiled binary distribution of CUPS is available for RH 7.2.
    Check the CUPS Web site, http://www.cups.org, or an RPM Find mirror, like
    http://rpmfind.net. You should also be able to compile from source code.

    I don't know offhand if the Samba 3.0 RPM for RH really *REQUIRES*
    libcups; it might be one of those things where it's listed as a dependency
    because some binaries you'll never use require it. Thus, you may be able
    to install with the --nodeps parameter to rpm with no ill effects -- or
    Samba might not work at all if you try that.

    I don't know offhand if the requirement is there because of some
    hard-coded options in the source RPM or because the configure scripts
    found libcups on the system on which it was compiled. In the latter case,
    you should be able to rebuild your own binary RPM from the source RPM and
    not deal with this problem. Certainly you can rebuild from the standard
    source tarball without problems on a non-CUPS system.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  3. Re: 3.0 beta install question

    Anthony wrote:

    > I am running Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 and am trying to install the
    > rpm samba-3.0.0beta3-1.i386.rpm. When I use the GnomeRPM utility to start
    > the install, I get the error stating that this rpm requires libcups.so.2.
    > Where can I find this? Your help is appreciated.

    Probably a search for libcups2 on rpmfind will give results (or use mandrake
    and urpmi *SCNR*). You might also try to install with the --nodeps switch
    and don't forget to remove any line that states "printing = cups" from your
    smb.conf.

  4. Re: 3.0 beta install question

    This leaves me in a weird spot. One of the main points of me trying to test
    this new version of samba was to also set up a new platform test cups
    instead of LPRng. I've read so many good things about cups that I wanted to
    try it before abandoning lpr.

    I went to the cups site after I posted my original message and downloaded
    the 1.1x software and followed the instructions in the readme files for the
    installation. I then tried to do the samba install again and got the same
    message, which I thought was weird. I also did a search for libcups.so.2
    and the couldn't find the correct version for my distrobution - redhat 7.2.
    Anyway, I will try your suggestion of nodependency installation and see how
    that works. Thanks for responding.

    Anthony

    "Rod Smith" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Anthony" writes:
    > >
    > > I am running Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 and am trying to install

    the
    > > rpm samba-3.0.0beta3-1.i386.rpm. When I use the GnomeRPM utility to

    start
    > > the install, I get the error stating that this rpm requires

    libcups.so.2.
    > > Where can I find this? Your help is appreciated.

    > The libcups.so.2 library is part of the CUPS package. I don't know offhand
    > if any precompiled binary distribution of CUPS is available for RH 7.2.
    > Check the CUPS Web site, http://www.cups.org, or an RPM Find mirror, like
    > http://rpmfind.net. You should also be able to compile from source code.
    >
    > I don't know offhand if the Samba 3.0 RPM for RH really *REQUIRES*
    > libcups; it might be one of those things where it's listed as a dependency
    > because some binaries you'll never use require it. Thus, you may be able
    > to install with the --nodeps parameter to rpm with no ill effects -- or
    > Samba might not work at all if you try that.
    >
    > I don't know offhand if the requirement is there because of some
    > hard-coded options in the source RPM or because the configure scripts
    > found libcups on the system on which it was compiled. In the latter case,
    > you should be able to rebuild your own binary RPM from the source RPM and
    > not deal with this problem. Certainly you can rebuild from the standard
    > source tarball without problems on a non-CUPS system.
    >
    > --
    > Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    > http://www.rodsbooks.com
    > Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking

+ Reply to Thread