[Semi-Newb] Samba and ADS - SMB

This is a discussion on [Semi-Newb] Samba and ADS - SMB ; Hi all. I've spent the past few days trawling the web and hammering google trying to find some decent info on setting up samba as a backup domain controller using active directory. From the release notes from beta3 I understand ...

  1. [Semi-Newb] Samba and ADS

    Hi all. I've spent the past few days trawling the web and hammering google
    trying to find some decent info on setting up samba as a backup domain
    controller using active directory. From the release notes from beta3 I
    understand this is now possible. Does anyone have any experience of doing
    this?

    Basically, I want to gradually move the network to a full samba
    implementation, but I'd like to get a stable Samba BDC implementation up
    first...

    Help appreciated,
    Thanks

  2. Re: [Semi-Newb] Samba and ADS

    "Arrow" wrote in message
    > Hi all. I've spent the past few days trawling the web and hammering

    google
    > trying to find some decent info on setting up samba as a backup domain
    > controller using active directory. From the release notes from beta3 I
    > understand this is now possible. Does anyone have any experience of doing
    > this?
    >
    > Basically, I want to gradually move the network to a full samba
    > implementation, but I'd like to get a stable Samba BDC implementation up
    > first...
    >
    > Help appreciated,
    > Thanks

    From the 3.0BETA docs:

    The following functionalities are NOT provided by Samba-3:
    a.. SAM replication with Windows NT4 Domain Controllers (i.e. a Samba PDC
    and a Windows NT BDC or vice versa)

    b.. Acting as a Windows 2000 Domain Controller (i.e. Kerberos and Active
    Directory)

    So basically you can't have a Samba BDC with a NT PDC or w2k DC. You might
    want to read the new 3.0 docs as there are ways to replicate the user
    databases between Samba systems which would give you the full Samba
    implementation that you want.

+ Reply to Thread