Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles? - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles? - SMB ; We've implemented a Samba file server in a computer lab environment. When a student logs in to the Samba server, they first get a message that a roaming profile can't be found followed by a message that a local profile ...

  1. Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles?

    We've implemented a Samba file server in a computer lab environment.
    When a student logs in to the Samba server, they first get a message
    that a roaming profile can't be found followed by a message that a
    local profile can't be found either, therefore windows creates a
    default, temporary profile to use.

    Each machine already has a local profile with the correct wallpaper,
    icons, and desktop settings that we've defined, and want the students
    to use. How can I configure an XP box to allow the student to login
    to Samba and load this local mandatory profile at the same time? Of
    the few things I've found so far about this, I've tried: renaiming the
    profile NTUSER.dat file to NTUSER.man, but that didn't change
    anything. I did locate the "do not check for roaming profile" setting
    in gpedit.msc and enabled it, but again, we're still getting the same
    two messages everytime a student logs in to the Samba server. Can't
    find roaming profile, followed by "can't find local" profile, and then
    the temp profile loads. We're thinking there has to be a way to
    "synch" a local profile so that it loads up no matter who logs in to
    the Samba server...but how?

    What are we missing? Any advice would be appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles?

    Shaun Marolf wrote in message news:...

    > Please post the [global] section of your smb.conf file so we can see what it
    > is doing with Windows.
    >
    > --Shaun

    Hi Shaun,

    Thanks for the reply, but this really isn't an smb.conf issue, near as
    I can tell. This is a local machine policy issue - and I think I
    found the setting I need, but still not quite getting what I want. If
    I enable "only use local profiles" using gpedit.msc on the Windows
    machine, students can login to the Samba server and get to the desktop
    without any error messages. Thought I was
    home-free, but discovered that Windows is actually creating a profile
    for each user in C:\documents and settings, and using the Default
    User.Windows profile as a "template"....so, what's happening is, as
    each new user logs in to Samba, Windows creates a new profile, with
    each user's login name, and stores it on the local hard drive. I
    don't want new profiles created for every user who sits down at the
    machine - I want ONE local profile, that I define with my settings, to
    be loaded up no matter who sits down at the machine and logs in to the
    Samba server.

    For reasons I'm not quite sure of, the University is not allowing
    mandatory profiles to be stored on the Samba server itself...they want
    it used for file and print only. So, I need to make this work in a
    lab environment using a mandatory local profile. I know I'm close,
    but not quite there.

    Any suggestions?

    Dave

  3. Re: Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles?

    djfox1@mailcity.com (D. Fox) wrote in
    news:c37033ad.0308080654.51b95f0d@posting.google.c om:

    > For reasons I'm not quite sure of, the University is not allowing
    > mandatory profiles to be stored on the Samba server itself...they want
    > it used for file and print only. So, I need to make this work in a
    > lab environment using a mandatory local profile. I know I'm close,
    > but not quite there.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Dave

    Well you can't change the policy however you could put in a workgroup Samba
    server between the University server and the students which they could store
    their profiles on. Otherwise you're stuck with local profiles. Windows can be
    set to use a mandatory profile where it cannot be changed however it only
    works when no one but an administrator has access and if your students need
    administrative privelages that throws that right out the Window.

    --Shaun

  4. Re: Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles?

    "imbsysop" wrote in message news:...

    > > Any suggestions?

    > you will have to create that mandatory profile and afaik copy it (as a
    > profile) to every new user('s) environment .. eventually cross machines ..
    > do this through "my computer -> properties -> advanced -> user profiles ->
    > copy to" you'll probably be hassled by user permissions on the different
    > machines ..
    > if anyone has a better solution I would like to hear it as I'm interested to
    > have a fallback in case my roaming profiles "blow up" ..
    >
    > HTH

    Obviously with 2,000+ users, we can't copy the mandatory profile
    settings to each users' profile on every machine. That's the whole
    problem...we can't have XP storing all these profiles on the local
    hard drive. I wouldn't have thought having XP load ONE default
    profile no matter who logs in would be impossible, but apparently it
    is. So far, this is what we've come up with - it's clunky and I don't
    like it, but it works: We have configured the default user profile to
    our specifications, and then enabled Deepfreeze (which was already
    installed on all lab machines) on the machine. When a new user logs
    in to Samba, they get the default user profile settings, and when the
    machine reboots (usually after 3 hours of inactivity) their profile is
    deleted by Deepfreeze. The only aggravation here is that it takes a
    little longer to login (about 20-25 seconds) because XP is creating a
    new profile for every user who logs in...but I don't know how else to
    make this work.

    Dave

  5. Re: Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles?

    news:c37033ad.0308090912.1737e064@posting.google.c om...

    > > > Any suggestions?

    > > you will have to create that mandatory profile and afaik copy it (as a
    > > profile) to every new user('s) environment ..

    > Obviously with 2,000+ users, we can't copy the mandatory profile
    > settings to each users' profile on every machine. That's the whole
    > problem...

    I fully understand .. I only have a node with 15 machines and I'm falling
    back on roaming profiles and a local linux server.

    Is that not an option for you ? to ask for permission to configure an "in
    between" local linux/samba server ?

    > like it, but it works: We have configured the default user profile to
    > our specifications, and then enabled Deepfreeze (which was already
    > installed on all lab machines) on the machine.

    I was also thinking along those lines (default user profile) but I don't get
    the mechanism why and how a default users profile is getting created on an
    XP machine and even less by what mechanism new users will auto-get it .. I
    must be missing something under plain XP

    When a new user logs
    > in to Samba, they get the default user profile settings, and when the
    > machine reboots (usually after 3 hours of inactivity) their profile is
    > deleted by Deepfreeze.

    no setting available to keep the profile ? bummer .. :-(

  6. Re: Samba, WinXP and mandatory local profiles?

    "D. Fox" wrote in message
    news:c37033ad.0308071023.5c2b6694@posting.google.c om...
    > We've implemented a Samba file server in a computer lab environment.
    > When a student logs in to the Samba server, they first get a message
    > that a roaming profile can't be found followed by a message that a
    > local profile can't be found either, therefore windows creates a
    > default, temporary profile to use.
    >
    > Each machine already has a local profile with the correct wallpaper,
    > icons, and desktop settings that we've defined, and want the students
    > to use. How can I configure an XP box to allow the student to login
    > to Samba and load this local mandatory profile at the same time? Of
    > the few things I've found so far about this, I've tried: renaiming the
    > profile NTUSER.dat file to NTUSER.man, but that didn't change
    > anything. I did locate the "do not check for roaming profile" setting
    > in gpedit.msc and enabled it, but again, we're still getting the same
    > two messages everytime a student logs in to the Samba server. Can't
    > find roaming profile, followed by "can't find local" profile, and then
    > the temp profile loads. We're thinking there has to be a way to
    > "synch" a local profile so that it loads up no matter who logs in to
    > the Samba server...but how?
    >
    > What are we missing? Any advice would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    How about the guest group. Anybody belonging to the guest group gets a local
    temporary profile based on the Default User that is erased when they log
    off. They have the same priveleges as the User group. You could create a
    home directory on the Samba server so that they can save their files as the
    My Documents folder is part of the profile and it gets erased at logoff.

    You would have to modify the Default User profile to suit your needs.

    You can turn off the roaming profile with:

    logon path =

+ Reply to Thread