samba / wins - SMB

This is a discussion on samba / wins - SMB ; just trying to get some information on what the samba server does with respect to registration with wins servers. 1. i assume of course that it does support (dynamic) wins registration 2. if the above applies then presumably if configured ...

  1. samba / wins

    just trying to get some information on what the samba server does with
    respect to registration with wins servers.

    1. i assume of course that it does support (dynamic) wins registration

    2. if the above applies then presumably if configured to be PDC then it will
    register the records that say a Win2k pdc would ie DOMAINNAME (1B) ??

    these questions arise from a recent failure of W2k domain operations where
    there is a suspicion of a linux samba installation conflicting with the w2k
    pdc.

    the observed behaviour was the de-registration of the proper 1B wins record
    from the PDC, and a subsequent failure of the w2k pdc to re-register
    dynamically

    any views will be gladly received

    GT

  2. Re: samba / wins

    "Graham Turner" schrieb:
    > just trying to get some information on what the samba server does with
    > respect to registration with wins servers.

    Whatever it is told in the configuration file.

    Perhaps see http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/u...a/ch05_01.html
    as an introduction.

    HTH,

    Patrick

  3. Re: samba / wins

    Patrick, thanks for the reply post.

    the url is good and helpful.

    will enedavour to review the potentially offending conf file from the samba
    host.

    was wondering on the specific's of the registration of a 1B record - is it
    right to assume that a samba host is capable of dynamic wins registration
    (to a Win2k server) ??

    have noted the "wins support" / wins server statements but am unclear as to
    whether these support registration or just query ??

    GT

    "Patrick Kursawe" wrote in message
    > "Graham Turner" schrieb:
    > > just trying to get some information on what the samba server does with
    > > respect to registration with wins servers.

    > Whatever it is told in the configuration file.
    >
    > Perhaps see http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/u...a/ch05_01.html
    > as an introduction.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Patrick

  4. Re: samba / wins

    "Graham Turner" schrieb:
    > was wondering on the specific's of the registration of a 1B record - is it
    > right to assume that a samba host is capable of dynamic wins registration
    > (to a Win2k server) ??

    To a wins server, the operating system is less interesting.

    > have noted the "wins support" / wins server statements but am unclear as to
    > whether these support registration or just query ??

    Quoting the manpage:

    wins server (G) This specifies the IP address (or DNS name: IP
    address for pref- erence) of the WINS server that nmbd(8) should
    register with. If you have a WINS server on your network
    then you should set this to the WINS server's IP.

    I guess that this samba server maybe had domain master = yes or domain
    logons = yes set -

    domain master (G)
    ....... (snip)

    Note that Windows NT Primary Domain Controllers expect to be
    able to claim this workgroup specific special NetBIOS name that
    identifies them as domain master browsers for that workgroup by
    default (i.e. there is no way to prevent a Windows NT PDC from
    attempting to do this). This means that if this parameter is set
    and nmbd claims the special name for a workgroup before a Win-
    dows NT PDC is able to do so then cross subnet browsing will
    behave strangely and may fail.

    If domain logons = yes , then the default behavior is to enable
    the domain master parameter. If domain logons is not enabled
    (the default setting), then neither will domain master be
    enabled by default.

    Bye, Patrick

  5. Re: samba / wins

    Graham Turner wrote:

    > Patrick, thanks for the reply post.
    >
    > the url is good and helpful.
    >
    > will enedavour to review the potentially offending conf file from the
    > samba host.
    >
    > was wondering on the specific's of the registration of a 1B record - is it
    > right to assume that a samba host is capable of dynamic wins registration
    > (to a Win2k server) ??
    >
    > have noted the "wins support" / wins server statements but am unclear as
    > to whether these support registration or just query ??

    Beware: wins support = yes means your samba server is acting as a wins
    server by itself (it supports wins clients). You should not set this option
    unless your samba server is the pdc.
    Also don't forget, a wins server - regardless if it's windows or samba -
    needs the clients to actively register with it. So the clients must get to
    know about its existence first. Usually that's done via the "option netbios
    nameserver ...." statement in dhcpd.conf when using dhcp, or distinct
    configuration of each clients tcpip advanced settings.

  6. Re: samba / wins

    Walter, dont think its an issue with the samba host being a wins server

    more to do with it being a WINS client and "destructively" overwriting the
    domain 1B record on a production w2k server.

    GT
    "Walter Mautner" wrote in message
    > Graham Turner wrote:
    >
    > > Patrick, thanks for the reply post.
    > >
    > > the url is good and helpful.
    > >
    > > will enedavour to review the potentially offending conf file from the
    > > samba host.
    > >
    > > was wondering on the specific's of the registration of a 1B record - is

    it
    > > right to assume that a samba host is capable of dynamic wins

    registration
    > > (to a Win2k server) ??
    > >
    > > have noted the "wins support" / wins server statements but am unclear as
    > > to whether these support registration or just query ??
    > >

    > Beware: wins support = yes means your samba server is acting as a wins
    > server by itself (it supports wins clients). You should not set this

    option
    > unless your samba server is the pdc.
    > Also don't forget, a wins server - regardless if it's windows or samba -
    > needs the clients to actively register with it. So the clients must get to
    > know about its existence first. Usually that's done via the "option

    netbios
    > nameserver ...." statement in dhcpd.conf when using dhcp, or distinct
    > configuration of each clients tcpip advanced settings.

  7. Re: samba / wins

    Graham Turner wrote:

    > Walter, dont think its an issue with the samba host being a wins
    > server
    >
    > more to do with it being a WINS client and "destructively" overwriting
    > the
    > domain 1B record on a production w2k server.

    Basically I wanted to make clear that
    - "wins support" in a smb.conf means the samba server tries to act as a
    wins server, which won't be desired here
    - "wins server" is used to query/register with another wins server,
    preferrably the pdc.

    And I don't believe a samba server as wins client can overrule the NT/2K
    PDC ... though it might when working as a browsemaster forcing all
    clients which come up to direct their queries to "him". No big deal as
    long as this server correctly forwards the requests it can't fullfill.
    Now I remember, long ago, we had a wfwg3.11 machine with a long uptime,
    as lab instrument controller which overruled the samba-2.2 pdc server
    whenever I had to restart samba for different reasons. In the logfile,
    the samba server complained about not being able to become local
    master, and therefore refused to further work as pdc (actually the nmbd
    shut down). We could not reboot the wfwg box at that time due to
    analysis sequences running on it, so we had to pull the network plug
    for a short time. Well, the tcpip stack of wfwg isn't really bug-free
    .

+ Reply to Thread