anyone got any good examples of a samba config for winn98 MYOB users? - SMB

This is a discussion on anyone got any good examples of a samba config for winn98 MYOB users? - SMB ; Hi, anyone got any good examples of a samba config for WIN98, XP & WIN2K client networks? I have several users with WIN98 machines and one with an XP machine. I cannot seem to get any file sharing happening. If ...

  1. anyone got any good examples of a samba config for winn98 MYOB users?

    Hi,

    anyone got any good examples of a samba config for WIN98, XP & WIN2K client
    networks?

    I have several users with WIN98 machines and one with an XP machine. I
    cannot seem to get any file sharing happening. If a user creates a file or a
    directory nobody else can write to it. I really would like everybody top be
    able to share MYOB group files in particular.

    --
    Regards,

    Anthony John Carmody
    Anthony Carmody Consulting Pty Ltd
    Open Source Business Computing Solutions
    P/L : 0 414 417 457
    P/I : +61 414 417 457
    Fx : 07 3856 1679
    E1 : carmoda@zip.com.au
    E2 : carmoda@carmoda.com

    ....so why use a semitrailer to get one carton of milk?

  2. Re: anyone got any good examples of a samba config for winn98 MYOB users?

    typically I run into this problem when I forget to enable these lines in my
    /etc/inetd.conf file:

    netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/smbd smbd
    netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/sbin/nmbd nmbd

    usually they are found at the very bottom of the file.

    Hope that helps.

    Matt

    "carmoda" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > anyone got any good examples of a samba config for WIN98, XP & WIN2K

    client
    > networks?
    >
    > I have several users with WIN98 machines and one with an XP machine. I
    > cannot seem to get any file sharing happening. If a user creates a file or

    > directory nobody else can write to it. I really would like everybody top

    be
    > able to share MYOB group files in particular.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Anthony John Carmody
    > Anthony Carmody Consulting Pty Ltd
    > Open Source Business Computing Solutions
    > P/L : 0 414 417 457
    > P/I : +61 414 417 457
    > Fx : 07 3856 1679
    > E1 : carmoda@zip.com.au
    > E2 : carmoda@carmoda.com
    >
    > ...so why use a semitrailer to get one carton of milk?

  3. Re: anyone got any good examples of a samba config for winn98 MYOB users?

    ME wrote:

    > typically I run into this problem when I forget to enable these lines in
    > my /etc/inetd.conf file:
    >
    > netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/smbd smbd
    > netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/sbin/nmbd nmbd
    >
    > usually they are found at the very bottom of the file.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "carmoda" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> anyone got any good examples of a samba config for WIN98, XP & WIN2K

    > client
    >> networks?
    >>
    >> I have several users with WIN98 machines and one with an XP machine. I
    >> cannot seem to get any file sharing happening. If a user creates a file
    >> or

    >> directory nobody else can write to it. I really would like everybody top

    > be
    >> able to share MYOB group files in particular.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Anthony John Carmody
    >> Anthony Carmody Consulting Pty Ltd
    >> Open Source Business Computing Solutions
    >> P/L : 0 414 417 457
    >> P/I : +61 414 417 457
    >> Fx : 07 3856 1679
    >> E1 : carmoda@zip.com.au
    >> E2 : carmoda@carmoda.com
    >>
    >> ...so why use a semitrailer to get one carton of milk?

    Are there any performance benifits running smbd and nmbd through inetd.conf
    instead of keeping these services running in the background without using
    inetd.conf?

+ Reply to Thread