Samba in share mode - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba in share mode - SMB ; I am trying to access my RH9 box via Samba from my Windows 2000 machine. I started the Samba service, set up 'security=share', created a new read- only share, guest=no. When I browse Network Neighborhood from Windows, I can see ...

  1. Samba in share mode

    I am trying to access my RH9 box via Samba from my Windows 2000 machine.

    I started the Samba service, set up 'security=share', created a new read-
    only share, guest=no.

    When I browse Network Neighborhood from Windows, I can see my machine and
    the share on it, but when I double-click on it or try to map a drive to it,
    I get

    'Network name not found' or path not found or something.

    Help? Thanks

  2. Re: Samba in share mode

    In article ,
    fornewsgroups@vikas.mailshell.com says...
    > I am trying to access my RH9 box via Samba from my Windows 2000 machine.
    >
    > I started the Samba service, set up 'security=share', created a new read-
    > only share, guest=no.
    >
    > When I browse Network Neighborhood from Windows, I can see my machine and
    > the share on it, but when I double-click on it or try to map a drive to it,
    > I get
    >
    > 'Network name not found' or path not found or something.
    >
    > Help? Thanks

    Allow your firewall on the Linux pc to allow ports 137-139..."or
    something"

    Also you really need to read:
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Regards,
    Mark
    Samba Setup Guide
    www.samba.netfirms.com

  3. Re: Samba in share mode

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:59:48 -0400, Vikas Agnihotri wrote:

    > I am trying to access my RH9 box via Samba from my Windows 2000 machine.
    >
    > I started the Samba service, set up 'security=share', created a new read-
    > only share, guest=no.
    >
    > When I browse Network Neighborhood from Windows, I can see my machine and
    > the share on it, but when I double-click on it or try to map a drive to it,
    > I get
    >
    > 'Network name not found' or path not found or something.
    >
    > Help? Thanks

    Just for ****s and grins....

    make sure smbd is running. The fact that you see it on the network means
    nmbd is running, but is smbd. Is probably is, but I have never seen that
    type of error before from Win2000 (98 yes, 2000 no).

    Kevin Fries

  4. Re: Samba in share mode

    Vikas,

    Make sure that you have created a samba user with permission to access the
    share that you are creating.

    David Cronin

    "Vikas Agnihotri" wrote in message
    newsprsgpdybj3k814u@news.fu-berlin.de...
    > I am trying to access my RH9 box via Samba from my Windows 2000 machine.
    >
    > I started the Samba service, set up 'security=share', created a new read-
    > only share, guest=no.
    >
    > When I browse Network Neighborhood from Windows, I can see my machine and
    > the share on it, but when I double-click on it or try to map a drive to

    it,
    > I get
    >
    > 'Network name not found' or path not found or something.
    >
    > Help? Thanks

  5. Re: Samba in share mode

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:51:28 GMT, David K. Cronin
    wrote:

    > Make sure that you have created a samba user with permission to access
    > the share that you are creating.

    No. I am running in security=share mode, so I dont need any Samba users
    created.

    Also, the share in question is a read-only guest share so I dont really
    care about creating samba users. I am ok if Samba maps to the Linux
    'nobody' user or something

  6. Re: Samba in share mode

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:34:04 GMT, Kevin_Fries wrote:

    > make sure smbd is running. The fact that you see it on the network means
    > nmbd is running, but is smbd. Is probably is, but I have never seen that
    > type of error before from Win2000 (98 yes, 2000 no).

    Aargh. I thought it was a firewall thing so I installed Firestarter
    (http://firestarter.sourceforge.net), played around with it, etc. Still
    didnt work.

    Turned out to be a simple thing. My share was $HOME/photos which had
    permissions of 755 but, for some reason, my $HOME had permissions of 700!

    I found this out by looking at /var/log/samba/%m.log and saw lots of
    'permission denied' errors.
    I chmod'ed $HOME/photos to 755 and everything is fine.

    Thanks for the help

+ Reply to Thread