WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible" - SMB

This is a discussion on WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible" - SMB ; Newbie stuff I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date. I have a WinXP box all up-to-date. It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on: http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3 I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the following changes: ========== ...

  1. WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Newbie stuff

    I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date.
    I have a WinXP box all up-to-date.

    It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on:

    http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3

    I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the
    following changes:
    ==========
    # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    workgroup = DOGZ

    # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = SAMBA

    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    ==========

    I restarted smbd and nmbd.

    My Windows XP box can see the server in the network neighborhood but I
    can't open it or map a drive. I get the error, "\\Server is not accessible".

    I tried running it with passwords unencrypted (even remembered to
    restart the processes). No luck.

    Used smbpasswd again to make sure the account password was right.
    smbpasswd -a test

    Verified that the Windows password is right, too. Verifed that all of
    the proper Windows protocols and clients are loaded.

    Ran testparm and it looks like there aren't any syntax errors.

    Rebooted both boxes.

    No changes.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks.

    Mike@michael-mcginnis.com

  2. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    2 things i can suggest:

    1.
    try adding the netbios name = line in smb.conf

    and

    2.
    make sure you've properly configured ipchains/iptables. try shutting that
    down just for test purposes

    you should also enter the ip of your samba server as wins server for your
    clients and add wins support = yes in smb.conf

    "Michael McGinnis" wrote in message
    > Newbie stuff
    >
    > I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date.
    > I have a WinXP box all up-to-date.
    >
    > It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on:
    >
    > http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3
    >
    > I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the
    > following changes:
    > ==========
    > # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    > workgroup = DOGZ
    >
    > # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    > server string = SAMBA
    >
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = yes
    > writable = yes
    > ==========
    >
    > I restarted smbd and nmbd.
    >
    > My Windows XP box can see the server in the network neighborhood but I
    > can't open it or map a drive. I get the error, "\\Server is not

    accessible".

    > I tried running it with passwords unencrypted (even remembered to
    > restart the processes). No luck.
    >
    > Used smbpasswd again to make sure the account password was right.
    > smbpasswd -a test
    >
    > Verified that the Windows password is right, too. Verifed that all of
    > the proper Windows protocols and clients are loaded.
    >
    > Ran testparm and it looks like there aren't any syntax errors.
    >
    > Rebooted both boxes.
    >
    > No changes.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mike@michael-mcginnis.com

  3. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    If you would look over this smb.conf and my samba logs and let me know
    if you see anything I've done wrong, I would be grateful.

    I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
    think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
    at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.

    Below are my recent entries for my samba log files, log.nmbd & log.smbd.
    A couple things strike me as odd.

    "subnet 192.168.1.85" as a subnet? Shouldn't a subnet be 192.168.1.0
    with netmask 255.255.255.0, or something?

    The final, and probably primary problem seems to be that samba can't
    find my domain master browser.

    "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
    workgroup DOGZ.
    Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup."

    Log file excerpts:

    ===== From file log.nmbd =====
    [2003/07/31 10:13:06, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(794)
    Netbios nameserver version 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002
    [2003/07/31 10:13:06, 0] nmbd/asyncdns.c:start_async_dns(148)
    started asyncdns process 1881
    [2003/07/31 10:18:55, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
    *****

    Samba name server HUSKIE is now a local master browser for workgroup
    DOGZ on subnet 192.168.1.85

    *****
    [2003/07/31 10:19:06, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fa il(358)
    find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
    Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
    workgroup DOGZ.
    Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
    [2003/07/31 10:34:14, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fa il(358)
    find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
    Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
    workgroup DOGZ.
    Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

    ===== From file log.smbd =====
    [2003/07/31 10:13:05, 0] smbd/server.c:main(707)
    smbd version 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2002

    ===== File smb.conf =====
    [global]

    workgroup = dogz

    server string = samba server
    netbios name = huskie

    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

    max log size = 0

    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

    unix password sync = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*

    pam password change = yes

    obey pam restrictions = yes

    wins support = yes

    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    dns proxy = no

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0664
    directory mode = 0775

    [test]
    comment = Test account files
    path = /home/test
    valid users = test
    writeable = yes
    printable = no
    create mask = 0765

  4. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Michael McGinnis wrote:
    > If you would look over this smb.conf and my samba logs and let me know
    > if you see anything I've done wrong, I would be grateful.
    >
    > I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
    > think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
    > at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.
    >
    > Below are my recent entries for my samba log files, log.nmbd & log.smbd.
    > A couple things strike me as odd.
    >
    > "subnet 192.168.1.85" as a subnet? Shouldn't a subnet be 192.168.1.0
    > with netmask 255.255.255.0, or something?
    >
    > The final, and probably primary problem seems to be that samba can't
    > find my domain master browser.
    >
    > "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
    > workgroup DOGZ.
    > Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup."

    If you ever get this answered I'd appreciate how you did it. I also can
    samba from Linux9 box into Win Xp (home) but not back from Xp to Linux.
    I don't have a Domain, merely a workgroup but Linux doesn't appear in
    the Network Places.Linux Server does show up in member of workgroup BUT
    when I click I get error message - Not accessable, network path not
    found etc.

  5. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    "r1_97" wrote in message
    news:XafWa.6235$gi.3965928@news2.news.adelphia.net ...
    > Michael McGinnis wrote:
    > > If you would look over this smb.conf and my samba logs and let me know
    > > if you see anything I've done wrong, I would be grateful.
    > >
    > > I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
    > > think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
    > > at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.
    > >
    > > Below are my recent entries for my samba log files, log.nmbd &

    log.smbd.
    > > A couple things strike me as odd.
    > >
    > > "subnet 192.168.1.85" as a subnet? Shouldn't a subnet be 192.168.1.0
    > > with netmask 255.255.255.0, or something?
    > >
    > > The final, and probably primary problem seems to be that samba can't
    > > find my domain master browser.
    > >
    > > "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
    > > workgroup DOGZ.
    > > Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup."
    > >

    > If you ever get this answered I'd appreciate how you did it. I also can
    > samba from Linux9 box into Win Xp (home) but not back from Xp to Linux.
    > I don't have a Domain, merely a workgroup but Linux doesn't appear in
    > the Network Places.Linux Server does show up in member of workgroup BUT
    > when I click I get error message - Not accessable, network path not
    > found etc.

    as per documentation : did you create machine trustaccounts ?

    did you patch the XP registry (signorseal key) ?
    just to name 2 things ..:-)

    I just connected 15 XP machines to a samba "domain" (in 2 steps : a) per
    workgroup+testing b)per domain+testing) & did set up roaming profiles ..
    works quite well despite the promised headaches in the docs .. using RH9 &
    samba 2.2.8a ..
    BTW should I switch to Samba 3.0beta3 ?

  6. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Thanks for the response.

    Regarding trust accounts:
    I created a "test" account on my linux box. I created a "test" account
    on my Windows XP box. I took great care to ensure they have the same
    password.

    Regarding the XP registry 'signorseal' key:
    Searching my registry for 'signorseal', I find a 'RequireSignOrSeal'
    registry folder and a 'requiresignorseal' key, but that's it. No
    'signorseal' key.

    Thanks. I'll search for 'signorseal' key patch documentation.

    imbsysop wrote:
    > "r1_97" wrote in message
    > news:XafWa.6235$gi.3965928@news2.news.adelphia.net ...

    > as per documentation : did you create machine trustaccounts ?
    >
    > did you patch the XP registry (signorseal key) ?
    > just to name 2 things ..:-)
    >
    > I just connected 15 XP machines to a samba "domain" (in 2 steps : a) per
    > workgroup+testing b)per domain+testing) & did set up roaming profiles ..
    > works quite well despite the promised headaches in the docs .. using RH9 &
    > samba 2.2.8a ..
    > BTW should I switch to Samba 3.0beta3 ?

  7. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Okay. I made the Win XP registry edits and rebooted. No change.

    The server shows up in my 'network neighborhood' but when I try to open
    the server I get an error message saying that the server is not
    accessible... I might not have permission... The network path was not found.

    I don't think that the problem lies in the Windows config.

    The repeated error messages in my log.nmbd file suggest that something's
    broken.

    == Error Message from log.nmbd =====
    [2003/08/04 22:58:07, 0]
    ====================================

    imbsysop wrote:
    > "r1_97" wrote in message
    > news:XafWa.6235$gi.3965928@news2.news.adelphia.net ...

    > as per documentation : did you create machine trustaccounts ?
    >
    > did you patch the XP registry (signorseal key) ?
    > just to name 2 things ..:-)
    >
    > I just connected 15 XP machines to a samba "domain" (in 2 steps : a) per
    > workgroup+testing b)per domain+testing) & did set up roaming profiles ..
    > works quite well despite the promised headaches in the docs .. using RH9 &
    > samba 2.2.8a ..
    > BTW should I switch to Samba 3.0beta3 ?

  8. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    "nobody" wrote in message
    news:e5DXa.47376$It4.27681@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.n et...
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > Regarding trust accounts:
    > I created a "test" account on my linux box. I created a "test" account
    > on my Windows XP box. I took great care to ensure they have the same
    > password.

    you need machine trust accounts just as under NT4 .. ie you have to make a
    "user" with the + the $ sign .. this is documented in the
    Samba 2.2 PDC docs
    (weel at least I think you need those ..)

    > Regarding the XP registry 'signorseal' key:
    > Searching my registry for 'signorseal', I find a 'RequireSignOrSeal'

    You are right it is this key ..

    You can also det it through the gpedit.msc in XP .. just off the top of my
    head I think the keys are under Comp config -> Windows settings -> Security
    settings -> local policies -> security options
    I did set the four options under "Domain member" to disabled ..

  9. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    > Okay. I made the Win XP registry edits and rebooted. No change.
    >
    > The server shows up in my 'network neighborhood' but when I try to open
    > the server I get an error message saying that the server is not
    > accessible... I might not have permission... The network path was not

    found.

    > I don't think that the problem lies in the Windows config.
    >
    > The repeated error messages in my log.nmbd file suggest that something's
    > broken.
    >
    > == Error Message from log.nmbd =====
    > [2003/08/04 22:58:07, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fa il(358)
    > find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
    > Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
    > workgroup DOGZ.
    > Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
    > ====================================

    didn't you make yr samba server the master browser for the domain ? and set
    the OS level to 33 or so, so yr samba server can win the master elections on
    the network ?

    did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a )

  10. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Thanks for your two responses.

    None of the documentation I've been using mention such a trust account.
    Sorry, I didn't understand the syntax. Where would I find the Samba 2.2
    PDC docs you mention? Do you have a URL?

    I'm not using a PDC, just workgroup-based security. I've tried all of
    the authentication configurations except for setting up a Windows
    Primary Domain Controller.

    I'll look into changing the OS level. Since the linux box shows up in
    the Windows browser, I don't think the problem lies here.

    I didn't understand what you meant regarding registry edits and setting
    "domain member" to "disabled". Do you know exactly what registry keys
    these are?

    My linux box is (supposed) to be a master browser. It's a member of a
    workgroup but I have no domain. I just wanted to do peer-to-peer file
    sharing.

    Regarding "did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a )".
    If I understand your question, yes, my smbusers file has an entry to
    link the linux user, 'test', to the samba user, 'test'. It has a line
    'test = test'.

    I noticed that none of my documentation said anything about adding this
    line... I just did it.

    Is there any concise & accurate documentation on samba? Most of the
    stuff I find seems to be written by people who are experts in linux but
    not so well versed in Windows (for example, referring to "roaming"
    accounts as "roving" accounts).

    I've been using 'LINUX Rute User's Tutorial & Exposition', O'Reilly's
    'Running LINUX', and 'Red Hat LINUX 9 Bible', and '17 Easy Steps to
    Samba: Version 1.0' on www.linuxorbit.com.

    Am I looking in the wrong places?

    =================

    >>== Error Message from log.nmbd =====
    >>[2003/08/04 22:58:07, 0]
    >>nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fa il(358)
    >> find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
    >> Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
    >>workgroup DOGZ.
    >> Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
    >>====================================
    >>

    > didn't you make yr samba server the master browser for the domain ?

    and set
    > the OS level to 33 or so, so yr samba server can win the master

    elections on
    > the network ?
    >
    > did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a )

  11. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    > Thanks for your two responses.
    >
    > None of the documentation I've been using mention such a trust account.
    > Sorry, I didn't understand the syntax. Where would I find the Samba 2.2
    > PDC docs you mention? Do you have a URL?

    google is absolutely yr friend .. look for the Samba 2.2 PDC HOWTA and the
    Samba 2.2 PDC FAQ HOWTO .. It will at least clarify a number of
    configuration issues ..

    > I'll look into changing the OS level. Since the linux box shows up in
    > the Windows browser, I don't think the problem lies here.

    OS level = 33 should make it win most elections from any windows machines
    although I'm not sure about a w2k server (so I did put mine on 255 :-))

    > I didn't understand what you meant regarding registry edits and setting
    > "domain member" to "disabled". Do you know exactly what registry keys
    > these are?

    there are 6 keys under 3Domain memeber" .. disable the first 4 ..
    It apparently has to do with the way XP is sending encryoted stuff to yr
    samba server, this also implies that you use encrypted passwords on the
    samba server side ..

    > Regarding "did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a )".
    > If I understand your question, yes, my smbusers file has an entry to
    > link the linux user, 'test', to the samba user, 'test'. It has a line
    > 'test = test'.

    nothing to do with the smbusers file. but everything with the smbpasswd file
    ... it must contain the users allowed to connect to the sambe structure(s)
    aka shares ..

    > Is there any concise & accurate documentation on samba? Most of the
    > stuff I find seems to be written by people who are experts in linux but
    > not so well versed in Windows (for example, referring to "roaming"
    > accounts as "roving" accounts).

    well unfortunately the docs on this subject are seemingly all scattered and
    it also costed me hours/days? of googling to dig up all the info ..

    Try an additional search with the keywords "unofficial samba howto .." It
    will yield a very workable documentation ..

    good luck ..

  12. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Thanks again for the info and suggestions.

    I'll ask Google about that stuff.

    imbsysop wrote:
    > "Michael McGinnis" wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks for your two responses.
    >>
    >>None of the documentation I've been using mention such a trust account.
    >>Sorry, I didn't understand the syntax. Where would I find the Samba 2.2
    >>PDC docs you mention? Do you have a URL?

    > google is absolutely yr friend .. look for the Samba 2.2 PDC HOWTA and the
    > Samba 2.2 PDC FAQ HOWTO .. It will at least clarify a number of
    > configuration issues ..

  13. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Michael McGinnis schrieb:
    > I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
    > think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
    > at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.

    Are you able to connect to shares from a different machine or from
    the samba server itself using smbclient?

    > wins support = yes

    Why did you set this parameter? Do all other machines in the workgroup use
    this machine as their WINS server?

    Bye, Patrick

  14. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Hello,

    I am having the same type of issue as well, however it very might well be
    the same thing or not! Heck if I know honestly. If this is the same issue
    described here in this post please let me know. I don't want to trouble
    anyone and ask them to repeat what has been said. I do appreciate your
    looking into this for me.

    I just built a box with Redhat 9 (shrike), got samba up and running out of
    the box! How sweet it is I must say, then WHAMMIE, samba went to hell in a
    handbasket.

    I used to be able to "browse" the network neighborhood from a Windows XP Pro
    machine, and Windows 2000 advanced server but something is killing it. I
    susepect something in samba is doing odd things in my network. The error I
    receive says that "cannot find \\shrike9 or for that fact
    \\shrike9\Samba_Shared.

    I know my UNC naming convention is not all that "unique" however for testing
    and internal putposes It's just simplier to do it this way.

    I have not worked on Redhat or Linux for that fact much, therefore almost
    have no idea where to look. Any type of guidance would be appreciated in
    this matter.

    The Samba service is running, and I have restated it numerous times... I can
    ping the SAMBA server off the ip address, however off the DNS name it will
    not respond.

    Did I give enough information here to start off with? If you can post this
    to the NG, and send me an e-mail directly I would appreciate it greatly, as
    I don't check NG's on a frequent basis!

    Your response is gladly appreciated!

    Rob Szkutak

    "In a world full of windows who needs gates"

  15. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    "Rob Szkutak" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I used to be able to "browse" the network neighborhood from a Windows XP

    Pro
    > machine, and Windows 2000 advanced server but something is killing it. I
    > susepect something in samba is doing odd things in my network. The error I
    > receive says that "cannot find \\shrike9 or for that fact
    > \\shrike9\Samba_Shared.

    are you sure yr nmbd deamon stays alive ? I got a problem of it getting
    killed after some time due to an error in the smb.conf (apparently although
    I was not able to spot which one)
    I found out that when I did a "service smb restart" the nmbd was not running
    anymore

    > The Samba service is running, and I have restated it numerous times... I

    can
    > ping the SAMBA server off the ip address, however off the DNS name it will
    > not respond.

    do you mean DNS name or NETBIOS name which is not the same altogether

    you could try to patch up things localy by making a hosts and lmhosts file &
    check if that solves the name resolving ..

  16. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Thanks.

    imbsysop wrote:
    > "Rob Szkutak" wrote in message

    > are you sure yr nmbd deamon stays alive ? I got a problem of it getting
    > killed after some time due to an error in the smb.conf (apparently although
    > I was not able to spot which one)
    > I found out that when I did a "service smb restart" the nmbd was not running
    > anymore

    The service is always up when I go in to restart it after messing with
    smb.conf or something. The "Service Configuration" GUI in RH9 always
    indicates a reasonable-seeming status for smbd & nmbd.

    Typical:
    "smbd (pid 1955) is running...
    nmbd (pid 1960 1959) is running..."

    >>The Samba service is running, and I have restated it numerous times... I
    >>can ping the SAMBA server off the ip address, however off the DNS name it will
    >>not respond.

    > do you mean DNS name or NETBIOS name which is not the same altogether
    >
    > you could try to patch up things localy by making a hosts and lmhosts file &
    > check if that solves the name resolving ..

    I had been pinging against the netbios name but I had an entry:

    192.168.1.90 sambanode #PRE

    in my Win XP "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts" file. So, the DNS
    lookup should have resolved properly. But that problem went away after 3
    or so reboots.

    Thanks again for the suggestions. I probably need to just start all over
    again and make sure everything is configured the way I think it's
    configured.

  17. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    "Michael McGinnis" wrote in message
    news:ycEYa.62357$Vt6.21698@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.n et...
    > Thanks.
    >
    > I had been pinging against the netbios name but I had an entry:
    >
    > 192.168.1.90 sambanode #PRE
    >
    > in my Win XP "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts" file. So, the DNS
    > lookup should have resolved properly. But that problem went away after 3
    > or so reboots.

    BTW you can open a dos window on the XP machine and use a "netstat -rn"
    command to show you yr routing tables

    and an "nbtstat <-switch>" to check the local "smb" settings (ie roughly
    what was read from the lmhosts file)

    HTH

  18. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    "Michael McGinnis" wrote in message
    > Newbie stuff
    >
    > I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date.
    > I have a WinXP box all up-to-date.
    >
    > It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on:
    >
    > http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3
    >
    > I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the
    > following changes:
    > ==========
    > # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    > workgroup = DOGZ
    >
    > # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    > server string = SAMBA
    >
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = yes
    > writable = yes
    > ==========
    >
    > I restarted smbd and nmbd.
    >
    > My Windows XP box can see the server in the network neighborhood but I
    > can't open it or map a drive. I get the error, "\\Server is not

    accessible".

    > I tried running it with passwords unencrypted (even remembered to
    > restart the processes). No luck.
    >
    > Used smbpasswd again to make sure the account password was right.
    > smbpasswd -a test
    >
    > Verified that the Windows password is right, too. Verifed that all of
    > the proper Windows protocols and clients are loaded.
    >
    > Ran testparm and it looks like there aren't any syntax errors.
    >
    > Rebooted both boxes.
    >
    > No changes.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mike@michael-mcginnis.com

    I have an answer that is working for me now but may pose other questions. I
    was/am having the same problems. I just wanted a print server for three
    computers (2 laptops and one desktop). I had an old pc to use as the
    server. I set it up with Redhat 9 and Samba. Proceeded to try and get a XP
    laptop to connect. I did have problems, which the web helped me solve, but
    finally got the laptop to print a test page. At this point I assume that
    Samba is set up correctly. (It may be wrong to assume.) I next tried to
    get the XP desktop to find the server. I managed to get it to work
    partially but the system was having other networking and cd burner issues
    so I decided to reinstalled XP Home on it.

    Anyway, on the first real bootup of the desktop pc I set up the network
    connection, connected to the server and printed a test page. No problems.
    I then began loading drivers for the rest of the hardware, testing the Samba
    server connection after every reboot. Next came the Windows Update
    stuff...No problems. Next, I installed McAfee firewall, set it up, and I
    still had access to the Samba server, the files and the printer. The next
    thing I loaded was Norton's AntiVirus 2003. When the system rebooted I no
    longer had access to the Samba server.

    I tried numerous "solutions" that I found on the web (leaving Norton's on
    the desktop) and nothing worked. Finally in a fit of frustration I
    uninstalled the network card drivers and then scaned for hardware changes
    and allowed the card to be reinstalled. I had access to the Samba server
    again. After a reboot the access is gone, server is not accessible. It
    turns out that I could disable the network connection and then enable it to
    get access to the Samba server for as long as the pc was not rebooted.

    I have removed the antivirus software and I can access the server.

    Does this help anyone? I just got to this point a couple of hours ago but I
    have not seen any posts about antivirus software disrupting network
    connections.

    Jon

  19. Re: WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

    Jon,
    You need one more setting in your smb.conf file.

    security = domain or user or share... ( "user" would probably work best
    for you)

    Next, you need to setup an account under samba and linux for each user.
    It helps to match the username and password to your windows account (you
    shouldn't get the annoying login box each time you open a share). Other
    than that, you should be good to go.

+ Reply to Thread