samba shares and winbind users - SMB

This is a discussion on samba shares and winbind users - SMB ; Okay, first off I'll admit to not researching this nearly as much as I probably should have prior to posting this ... but I'm a bit confused as this should be actually fairly easy to set up - I'm just ...

  1. samba shares and winbind users

    Okay, first off I'll admit to not researching this nearly as much as I
    probably should have prior to posting this ... but I'm a bit confused as
    this should be actually fairly easy to set up - I'm just drawing a blank
    on how and probably missing he magic search terms for google or not
    finding the magic config option in doco.
    What I have is Samba 2.2.8a installed on a RedHat 9 machine. Winbind
    is enumerating users okay according to getent. Let's see if I can
    explain what the goal here is without making it too confusing:

    I want to be able to allow users to map shares on a samba server
    without them having a local account on the system. They don't need to
    do anything else (so I'm hesitant to modify too many files in
    /etc/pam.d, as I understand it only in theory and not so much in what
    everything means). They don't even need a home directory (so much so
    that in smb.conf I've specified a home directory template of /dev/null).
    I've specified an alternative separator as well ("+").
    All I need is to be able to use the Windows 2K domain groups and users
    in smb.conf to specify who can access a Samba served share, and have
    Samba see them as their DOM+user name versus their "unix" user name
    (which doesn't exist outside of winbind).

    Pointers please? I guess flames too if you feel the need.

  2. Re: samba shares and winbind users

    I Blathered, yet left out details:
    [snip]
    > What I have is Samba 2.2.8a installed on a RedHat 9 machine.
    > Winbind is enumerating users okay according to getent. Let's see if I
    > can explain what the goal here is without making it too confusing:
    >
    > I want to be able to allow users to map shares on a samba server
    > without them having a local account on the system. They don't need to
    > do anything else (so I'm hesitant to modify too many files in
    > /etc/pam.d, as I understand it only in theory and not so much in what
    > everything means). They don't even need a home directory (so much so
    > that in smb.conf I've specified a home directory template of /dev/null).
    > I've specified an alternative separator as well ("+").
    > All I need is to be able to use the Windows 2K domain groups and
    > users in smb.conf to specify who can access a Samba served share, and
    > have Samba see them as their DOM+user name versus their "unix" user name
    > (which doesn't exist outside of winbind).
    >
    > Pointers please? I guess flames too if you feel the need.

    I forgot to mention that the Redhat server is successfully a member of
    the domain using security = domain at this time. If there's anything
    else I forgot to mention or left out, flame away.

    remove the comment about spam if you want to email me.

+ Reply to Thread