I'm running RedHat 9 on two machines with the same version of Samba
(2.2.7a I think), one as server (also a PDC) and one to be the client.
It works fine with WinXP and I love it.
I'd really love to mount the appropriate shares from /etc/fstab but
can't quite seem to get it working.

One of the shares mounts fine using the line

///public /mnt/smb//public smbfs
guest,uid=root,gid=root,etcetera... 0 0

but my other share does not (it actually causes the RedHat startup to
hang and the only solution is ctrl+alt+del)

/// /mnt/smb// smbfs
credentials=/,uid=, etc as above 0 0

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that I'm trying to
authenticate as a user instead of as a guest. Am I on track?
The weird thing is that using 'smbmount' with the same options basically
works.

Anyone that can elucidate on this topic will earn much respect and
gratitude from me (what a top incentive eh?).

Ben O'B.