A couple of questions about Samba as a PDC.... - SMB

This is a discussion on A couple of questions about Samba as a PDC.... - SMB ; 1) How can I find out the version of Samba we are currently running? 2) I am pretty sure we are running a 1.9.x version and I see on the Samba.org site that the newest, most stable version of Samba ...

  1. A couple of questions about Samba as a PDC....

    1) How can I find out the version of Samba we are currently running?

    2) I am pretty sure we are running a 1.9.x version and I see on the
    Samba.org site that the newest, most stable version of Samba is
    2.2.8a. Does the 2.2.8a version patch all versions in between or will
    we have to patch incrementally? If we have to patch incrementally is
    there any place I can what patches we will need? I found at the
    Samba.org site that it is very difficult to figure out the needed
    patches....

    3) Does Samba work well as a PDC?

    4) How difficult is it to set up?

    5) From what I can find on the web - with Samba 2.2.8a we will no
    longer need the registry hack to allow Windows users to be
    authenticated on Samba. Is this correct or is there a gotcha
    somewhere I have not read about?

    This is all I can think of for now - sorry for all of the noob
    questions but I am very new to Samba...

    Thanks

  2. Re: A couple of questions about Samba as a PDC....

    In article <488866ad.0307151132.25756125@posting.google.com>,
    CylonRed@aol.com says...
    > 1) How can I find out the version of Samba we are currently running?
    >
    > 2) I am pretty sure we are running a 1.9.x version and I see on the
    > Samba.org site that the newest, most stable version of Samba is
    > 2.2.8a. Does the 2.2.8a version patch all versions in between or will
    > we have to patch incrementally? If we have to patch incrementally is
    > there any place I can what patches we will need? I found at the
    > Samba.org site that it is very difficult to figure out the needed
    > patches....

    The newest version contains all bug and security fixes. There is no need
    to patch incrementally.

    > 3) Does Samba work well as a PDC?

    Works great as PDC.

    > 4) How difficult is it to set up?

    It is very easy to setup a basic samba configuration.
    See my webpage below for help.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark