Samba, Redhat 9.0 Windows XP; Windows 98 Binding - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba, Redhat 9.0 Windows XP; Windows 98 Binding - SMB ; Hey everyone, I have Unbinded TCP/IP over "File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Network", and Unbinded TCP/IP over "Client for Microsoft Network" too. I am currently using ipx/spx & netbeui binding for my xp & 98 system; they work great ...

  1. Samba, Redhat 9.0 Windows XP; Windows 98 Binding

    Hey everyone, I have Unbinded TCP/IP over "File and Printer Sharing
    For Microsoft Network", and Unbinded TCP/IP over "Client for Microsoft
    Network" too. I am currently using ipx/spx & netbeui binding for my
    xp & 98 system; they work great and securedly, I've been to the GRC
    Shieldsup site and checked; says it cant see my shares; and my
    protocols are stealth, so I know I'm pretty secured; that goes for my
    98 system too. Ok now for my major question(s) so how would I
    bind/unbind ipx/spx on my Redhat linux 9 system, and how would
    unbind/bind netbeui if it exist, that also goes with tcp/ip. Then last
    how would I use Samba with my xp/98 system. I am behind a router.

  2. Re: Samba, Redhat 9.0 Windows XP; Windows 98 Binding

    Hi,

    > Hey everyone, I have Unbinded TCP/IP over "File and Printer Sharing
    > For Microsoft Network", and Unbinded TCP/IP over "Client for Microsoft
    > Network" too. I am currently using ipx/spx & netbeui binding for my
    > xp & 98 system; they work great and securedly, I've been to the GRC
    > Shieldsup site and checked; says it cant see my shares; and my
    > protocols are stealth, so I know I'm pretty secured; that goes for my
    > 98 system too. Ok now for my major question(s) so how would I
    > bind/unbind ipx/spx on my Redhat linux 9 system, and how would
    > unbind/bind netbeui if it exist, that also goes with tcp/ip. Then last
    > how would I use Samba with my xp/98 system. I am behind a router.

    I'm not saying that it cannot be done. - Linux does have some ipx/spx
    support. However, I have not seen it done.
    IMHO, it will be far easier and you will encounter fewer problems if you set
    it up in the normal way and then configure your router to drop MS Networking
    packets. (TCP & UDP, 138 & 139 IIRC)

    Regards,
    @ndy

    --