smbfs: bad mount msg - SMB

This is a discussion on smbfs: bad mount msg - SMB ; VMware: 4.0.0 Host: Win2k Guest: RH9 At level 3 I issue (one line, no inappropriate spaces): mount -t smbfs -o user,noauto,dmask=777,fmask=777, username=xx,password=yy //box/share /mnt/share I get these messages: Jul 12 05:56:26 VmLinux kernel: smbfs: Unrecognized mount option noexec Jul 12 ...

  1. smbfs: bad mount msg

    VMware: 4.0.0
    Host: Win2k
    Guest: RH9

    At level 3 I issue (one line, no inappropriate spaces):

    mount -t smbfs -o user,noauto,dmask=777,fmask=777,
    username=xx,password=yy //box/share /mnt/share

    I get these messages:

    Jul 12 05:56:26 VmLinux kernel: smbfs: Unrecognized mount option noexec
    Jul 12 05:56:26 VmLinux rc: Starting smbfsmnt: succeeded

    The mount is successful. What is the significance of the first message?

    Thanks for your help.

    Mike.

  2. Re: smbfs: bad mount msg

    Hi,

    > Jul 12 05:56:26 VmLinux kernel: smbfs: Unrecognized mount option noexec
    > Jul 12 05:56:26 VmLinux rc: Starting smbfsmnt: succeeded
    >
    > The mount is successful. What is the significance of the first message?

    noexec means that files on that device cannot be executable. - It is
    probably a default for user mounts. - The version of mount that you are
    using does not understand it so it ignores it.

    Regards,
    @ndy

    --
    andyjpb@ashurst.eu.org