Intermittent Connection Loss - SMB

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection Loss - SMB ; I've seen mention of this in various places across the 'net, but noone seems to have a solution. My SAMBA server is a fully-patched-up Solaris 8 machine (Intel), running the 2.2.8a distro. I have a 'public' share on which I ...

  1. Intermittent Connection Loss

    I've seen mention of this in various places across the 'net, but noone seems
    to have a solution.

    My SAMBA server is a fully-patched-up Solaris 8 machine (Intel), running the
    2.2.8a distro.

    I have a 'public' share on which I keep several GB's of MP3's - which we
    play from WinAMP on either my Win2K box or my girlfriends Win98 box. Now,
    the Win2K machine behaves perfectly - you can queue *hours* of tunes, and
    they play flawlessly. The Win98 machine however gets only so far through a
    tune and then will cut out. Where it cuts out is seemingly random because
    sometimes you can play several tunes in a playlist before it dies. Other
    times it dies mid way through the first tune.

    I can't tell whether its related to the size of individual files, or the
    time that the share is in use by the client.

    Inspection of the client.log file reveals the following:

    [2003/07/11 11:40:41, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
    read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
    [2003/07/11 11:40:41, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(677)
    trident (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) closed connection to service public
    [2003/07/11 11:41:01, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(636)
    trident (192.168.49.16) connect to service public as user xxxxxxx
    (uid=xxx, gid=xx) (pid 24622)

    < I've removed the IP, username & UID/GID for obvious reasons >

    There is no other information in the log.smbd or log.nmbd files.

    I've just read a post in a newgroup archive from a guy who was having
    similar sounding problems with Win98 where he was suffering failures copying
    large files. I'm wondering if there's a timeout issue in Win98?

    Here's some excepts from my smb.conf file:

    [global]
    ; Basic server settings
    workgroup = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    server string = Samba domain server
    log file = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    log level = 1
    syslog only = no
    time server = yes

    ; we should act as the domain and local master browser
    os level = 65
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain admin group = root@root
    domain guest group = nobody@nobody

    ; security settings (must use security = user)
    security = user

    ; encrypted passwords are a requirement for a PDC
    encrypt passwords = yes

    ; support domain logons
    domain logons = yes

    ; configure password management
    add user script = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    passwd program = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    passwd chat = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    unix password sync = Yes
    null passwords = No
    name resolve order = wins bcast lmhosts host
    deadtime = 1

    ; where to store user profiles?
    logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u

    ; where is a user's home directory and where should it
    ; be mounted at?
    logon drive = P:
    logon home = \\xxxxxxxx\%u

    ; specify a generic logon script for all users
    ; this is a relative **DOS** path to the [netlogon] share
    logon script = logon.cmd

    ; act as a WINS server
    wins support = yes
    wins proxy = no

    [ ... ]
    ..
    ..
    ..

    ; shared area
    [public]
    path = /export/public
    public = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

    Any information which might help solve this problem would be gratefully
    received, as its starting to drive me nuts. I'm considering rebuilding the
    offending machine with XP, but I'd also like to be able to fix the problem
    itself!

    Cheers,

    Sean.

  2. Re: Intermittent Connection Loss

    In article <1058009683.699746@ananke.eclipse.net.uk>,
    sean@digitalworkshop.net says...
> [...]
    > logon home = \\xxxxxxxx\%u
    >
    > ; specify a generic logon script for all users
    > ; this is a relative **DOS** path to the [netlogon] share
    > logon script = logon.cmd
    >
    > ; act as a WINS server
    > wins support = yes
    > wins proxy = no
    >
    > [ ... ]
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    > ; shared area
    > [public]
    > path = /export/public
    > public = yes
    > writeable = yes
    > browseable = yes
    >

    > Any information which might help solve this problem would be gratefully
    > received, as its starting to drive me nuts. I'm considering rebuilding the
    > offending machine with XP, but I'd also like to be able to fix the problem

    If you ask for help, do not munge ip adddresses, names, and critical
    smb.conf parameters.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  3. Re: Intermittent Connection Loss

    "Walter Mautner" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.07.13.15.27.24.368679@spamgourmet.com...
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:27:54 +0100, Sean Healey wrote:
    > >
    > > The hub itself is from the Netgear range, which I've heard less than
    > > positive comments about. The machines themselves are linked by only a
    > > few metres of Cat-5 ... but going on some of the comments, I'm going to
    > > try swapping out the cable to the Win98 machine, and see if there's a
    > > driver upgrade for its NIC (Doubtful, as the interface is onboard and
    > > the M/B is quite old).

    > Yes, try it - and don't forget to set your nics preferences to half-duplex
    > (a hub cannot do full-duplex, and your old nic might fail auto-negotiating
    > this with the hub).

    Ah - hadn't considered that aspect. Maybe that expains the high level of
    collisions I've noticed when the hub is under load ...

    > > are quite simple for anyone to look up. As a sys admin, I am used to
    > > working this way - at my site, your attitude would get you fired!
    > >

    > Hmm, yes it's a good attitude to be careful. Though I doubt your private
    > ip-addresses would change anything - but it *might* help potential
    > solution providers identify your problem. If you are really paranoid, you
    > have to post using google or another http usenet service, using some
    > anonymizing (multiple proxies) tool. And it's up to you if you use your
    > real name or some that just sounds nice. Btw,, I am already employed as IT
    > staff, sorry I can't come over the BP to Arizona just to give you the
    > opportunity to fire me ... or even fire at me .

    I don't know where you got Arizona from, coz I'm in England... :-)

    > > (By the way, even though the internal addresses are in the private
    > > non-routable range, its still quite easy to hack you way into such a
    > > system using a variety of techniques)
    > >

    > Ok, but for that purpose the external IP is the key. I guess you have
    > iptables proberly configured?

    Which was my point - the external IP is pretty simple to pick up using DIG
    or nslookup...
    Yeah, I've got my firewalling pretty well set up now ... although it's taken
    a while to
    get my head around!

    > Uhm, sorry, it slipped through my fingers or down the screen (too lazy
    > today of course). A good idea is to use swat or webmin (allow its use only
    > for the LAN) because of the "cleaning up" feature and the online help
    > available.
    >
    > Greetings from Vienna

    Greetings from London!

    I've avoided SWAT because it removes all your carefully added commenting!!
    I did notice there's a whole lot more smb.conf editors on the Samba mirrors
    these days. Might give one of these a go.

  4. Re: Intermittent Connection Loss

    Just a comment:

    I've had the exact same problems... I'm running Samba 2.2.8a on
    HPUX 11i.

    I was having the intermittent connection loss, with the same error:
    " read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection timed out "

    But it was only on 3-4 of my pc's (out of about 100).
    (these pc's were also having some telnet sessions hang too)

    Come to find out, the problem started the day after I installed a new
    HP Procurve 4108gl Switch. The two pc's were having problems with
    the "auto-negotiation" of the duplex with their's nics... (auto
    negotaion my ass...).

    Once I changed their settings to 100/full duplex, all my problems went
    away.

    Just my $.02

    Live Long and Prosper!
    Ron