I have a Windoze machine that connects to our server across the net using
VPN.
It presents itself as the dynamic IP assigned by the ISP (verified this by
telnetting onto the server).

When connected to the VPN, I can ping, telnet and run SWAT on the server,
but when I try to access a samba share, I get a permissions error.

hosts.allow = 192.168.1. 81. (the internet client is always
81.x.x.x)

The username/password and group credentials are a match on both the server
and Windoze client.

testparm hostname 81.1.1.1 prompts that all shares are accessible to that IP
address.

Any ideas ??

What log level would be good to view what is going on ?
Any diagnostic tips would be useful too.

TIA

Steve