VMware and NetBios Problem - SMB

This is a discussion on VMware and NetBios Problem - SMB ; With WinXP host, RH8 VMware guest, at level 3, I issue: mount -t smbfs -o user,noauto,dmask=777,fmask=777,username=xx, password=yy //DELLBOX/linuxShare /mnt/linuxShare and get: Connection to DELLBOX failed SMB connection failed timeout connecting to 192.168.113.1:139 Error connecting to 192.168.113.1 I cannot find this ...

  1. VMware and NetBios Problem

    With WinXP host, RH8 VMware guest, at level 3, I issue:

    mount -t smbfs -o user,noauto,dmask=777,fmask=777,username=xx,
    password=yy //DELLBOX/linuxShare /mnt/linuxShare

    and get:

    Connection to DELLBOX failed
    SMB connection failed
    timeout connecting to 192.168.113.1:139
    Error connecting to 192.168.113.1

    I cannot find this IP address anywhere. My tables indicate
    that port 139 is related to NETBIOS, but I don't know how
    to deal with this. Where is this NETBIOS, and how is it
    controlled? I note that the box in question is not using
    192.168. type IP addresses.

    Suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Mike.

  2. Re: VMware and NetBios Problem

    Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    > With WinXP host, RH8 VMware guest, at level 3, I issue:
    >
    > mount -t smbfs -o user,noauto,dmask=777,fmask=777,username=xx,
    > password=yy //DELLBOX/linuxShare /mnt/linuxShare
    >
    > and get:
    >
    > Connection to DELLBOX failed
    > SMB connection failed
    > timeout connecting to 192.168.113.1:139
    > Error connecting to 192.168.113.1
    >
    > I cannot find this IP address anywhere. My tables indicate
    > that port 139 is related to NETBIOS, but I don't know how
    > to deal with this. Where is this NETBIOS, and how is it
    > controlled? I note that the box in question is not using
    > 192.168. type IP addresses.

    Maybe you should read a little more about the way VMWare works - it
    might help you a little here (and a lot in general).

    If you do "ipconfig" on the WinXP host you'll find that you've got a
    couple of extra interfaces now, one of which will have that IP. You
    probably picked not to have bridged networking, hence why you're seeing
    a new IP range.

    As for your networking problems - have you tried the usual
    troubleshooting? What's the IP on the RH8 setup? Can you ping the
    WinXP box? Can the WinXP box ping it? Is either running any firewall
    package?

    --
    Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

  3. Re: VMware and NetBios Problem

    Rob MacGregor wrote:

    > Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    >
    > > With WinXP host, RH8 VMware guest, at level 3, I issue:
    > >
    > > mount -t smbfs -o user,noauto,dmask=777,fmask=777,username=xx,
    > > password=yy //DELLBOX/linuxShare /mnt/linuxShare
    > >
    > > and get:
    > >
    > > Connection to DELLBOX failed
    > > SMB connection failed
    > > timeout connecting to 192.168.113.1:139
    > > Error connecting to 192.168.113.1
    > >
    > > I cannot find this IP address anywhere. My tables indicate
    > > that port 139 is related to NETBIOS, but I don't know how
    > > to deal with this. Where is this NETBIOS, and how is it
    > > controlled? I note that the box in question is not using
    > > 192.168. type IP addresses.

    > Maybe you should read a little more about the way VMWare works - it
    > might help you a little here (and a lot in general).
    >
    > If you do "ipconfig" on the WinXP host you'll find that you've got a
    > couple of extra interfaces now, one of which will have that IP. You
    > probably picked not to have bridged networking, hence why you're seeing
    > a new IP range.
    >
    > As for your networking problems - have you tried the usual
    > troubleshooting? What's the IP on the RH8 setup? Can you ping the
    > WinXP box? Can the WinXP box ping it? Is either running any firewall
    > package?
    >
    > --
    > Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    > The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

    Thanks for this information. I can ping in both directions,
    but I have not tried to ping by name. I will try that and ipconfig
    later this morning. There are no firewalls involved. I have,
    in fact selected bridging. Does this change your suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mike.

  4. Re: VMware and NetBios Problem

    Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    > Thanks for this information. I can ping in both directions,
    > but I have not tried to ping by name. I will try that and ipconfig
    > later this morning. There are no firewalls involved. I have,
    > in fact selected bridging. Does this change your suggestions?

    If you were running bridging then you'd be on the same network with the
    guest as the host. However if you've got different IP ranges then it
    doesn't look like you're really using bridging.

    Worth checking your settings...

    --
    Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

+ Reply to Thread