Windows can't create folders/files with long file names - SMB

This is a discussion on Windows can't create folders/files with long file names - SMB ; Hello! Sometimes I've got the problem, that my Windows XP Pro can't create folders/files with long file names on some shares. However, it's always possible to read existing folders/files with long file names. After restarting Windows and reconnecting the share, ...

  1. Windows can't create folders/files with long file names

    Hello!

    Sometimes I've got the problem, that my Windows XP Pro can't create
    folders/files with long file names on some shares. However, it's always
    possible to read existing folders/files with long file names. After
    restarting Windows and reconnecting the share, the problem normally goes
    away. At a given point in time, the problem doesn't exist for all users
    (IOW: some users can create long file names, some can't).

    Right now, the problem appears most often on a HP-UX 11.00 server with
    2.2.5 but sometimes it also appears on a Mandrake 9.1 2.2.7a server.

    Why is it, that Windows sometimes can't create folders/files with long file
    names?

    Thanks,

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    Haushaltstipp: Fettflecken werden wie neu, wenn man sie
    täglich mit frischer Butter einreibt.

  2. Re: none

    none
    test

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Sometimes I've got the problem, that my Windows XP Pro can't create
    > folders/files with long file names on some shares. However, it's always
    > possible to read existing folders/files with long file names. After
    > restarting Windows and reconnecting the share, the problem normally goes
    > away. At a given point in time, the problem doesn't exist for all users
    > (IOW: some users can create long file names, some can't).
    >
    > Right now, the problem appears most often on a HP-UX 11.00 server with
    > 2.2.5 but sometimes it also appears on a Mandrake 9.1 2.2.7a server.
    >
    > Why is it, that Windows sometimes can't create folders/files with long file
    > names?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alexander Skwar

+ Reply to Thread