Permissions for newly created sub-directories - SMB

This is a discussion on Permissions for newly created sub-directories - SMB ; "We" are in the process of moving our intranet from an ancient NT4/Netscape server to RH Linux 8. The version of samba is 2.2.7. PROBLEM: samba shares have group permissions. Now, whenever anybody using a Windows platformm creates a sub-folder ...

  1. Permissions for newly created sub-directories

    "We" are in the process of moving our intranet from an ancient
    NT4/Netscape server to RH Linux 8. The version of samba is 2.2.7.

    PROBLEM: samba shares have group permissions. Now, whenever anybody
    using a Windows platformm creates a sub-folder (parent permissions
    drwxrwxr-x), that subfolder is created with permissions to write only
    to that user (drwxrwr-xr-x).

    It seems to me that having "create mask" and "directroy mode" set to
    "775" should work. It appears to be otherwise.

    Besides not quite getting "modes", etc, what am I doing wrong? TIA!

  2. Re: Permissions for newly created sub-directories

    richard wrote:

    > "We" are in the process of moving our intranet from an ancient
    > NT4/Netscape server to RH Linux 8. The version of samba is 2.2.7.
    >
    > PROBLEM: samba shares have group permissions. Now, whenever anybody
    > using a Windows platformm creates a sub-folder (parent permissions
    > drwxrwxr-x), that subfolder is created with permissions to write only
    > to that user (drwxrwr-xr-x).
    >
    > It seems to me that having "create mask" and "directroy mode" set to
    > "775" should work. It appears to be otherwise.
    >
    > Besides not quite getting "modes", etc, what am I doing wrong? TIA!

    man smb.conf, and look for "force directory mode" and the other "force"
    commands.

    If you don't use "force", the user's local UNIX account umask settings
    get involved. These are typically "0022".

  3. Re: Permissions for newly created sub-directories

    Hi,

    > PROBLEM: samba shares have group permissions. Now, whenever anybody
    > using a Windows platformm creates a sub-folder (parent permissions
    > drwxrwxr-x), that subfolder is created with permissions to write only
    > to that user (drwxrwr-xr-x).
    >
    > It seems to me that having "create mask" and "directroy mode" set to
    > "775" should work. It appears to be otherwise.

    As a point of information, that is not directly related to your question,
    but might be of assistance:
    If you do chmod g+s on a directory, all files and directories created under
    this will be owned by the same (as the parent) group. - If you do not do
    this, files and directories will be owned by the user's primary group. Under
    Redhat and many other Linucies, each user has their own private primary
    group.

    Regards,
    @ndy

    --