samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ?? - SMB

This is a discussion on samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ?? - SMB ; OK I've gotten utterly frustrated over the last 2 weeks .. A working PC node with Win98SE PC's and a samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2 as PDC had to be transplanted to a new location and the node was split ...

  1. samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ??

    OK I've gotten utterly frustrated over the last 2 weeks ..

    A working PC node with Win98SE PC's and a samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2 as PDC had to
    be transplanted to a new location and the node was split over 2 subdomains. So
    I thought : let's upgrade to RH 9 & samba 2.2.8a .. bummer

    I tried a single nic system with a remote announce, a single nic with an
    additional network alias (2 IP #) and at last a 2 nic system .. all present
    the same problem. they won't let me join the domain !

    Or I cannot find the domain getting the rror code that the domain is not
    registered in DNS .. SOB why should a domain be registered anyway ? getting
    all kinds of info on testing _ldap_stuff .. so do I need ldap on the samba
    server ? the stupid XP client insists on trying to find the domain through DNS
    .. it is not there of course.

    So I started fiddling with the lmhosts file on both client & host .. next step
    but for no apparent reason I get a login screen when trying to join the
    domain. When I enter the root ID & passwd for the linux server I nicely am
    told "network path not found" .. well I've been turning rounds here .. If not
    one error the I get the other.

    I've been reading and searching through what feels like a few million articles
    on the net, nothing new turns up ie all what was written I tried it out + a
    couple of 1000 other combinations .. super frustrating part : all the
    diagnostic test work ok ie browsing & paths to server & client work ok, shares
    are visible and accessible ... only that stupid joining domain fails ..

    I'm totaly devoid of more ideas ?? any help available ? :-)
    (need my smb.conf ?)

    TIA

    --
    remove_clothes to answer over email

  2. Re: samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ??

    In article , imbsysop@_clothesyahoo.com
    says...
    > OK I've gotten utterly frustrated over the last 2 weeks ..
    >
    > A working PC node with Win98SE PC's and a samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2 as PDC had to
    > be transplanted to a new location and the node was split over 2 subdomains. So
    > I thought : let's upgrade to RH 9 & samba 2.2.8a .. bummer
    >
    > I tried a single nic system with a remote announce, a single nic with an
    > additional network alias (2 IP #) and at last a 2 nic system .. all present
    > the same problem. they won't let me join the domain !

    Please list exact error messages...generic messages do not mean a thing.

    > Or I cannot find the domain getting the rror code that the domain is not
    > registered in DNS .. SOB why should a domain be registered anyway ? getting
    > all kinds of info on testing _ldap_stuff .. so do I need ldap on the samba
    > server ? the stupid XP client insists on trying to find the domain through DNS
    > . it is not there of course.

    If you are running a home or small business network, drop the ldap.

    > So I started fiddling with the lmhosts file on both client & host .. next step
    > but for no apparent reason I get a login screen when trying to join the
    > domain. When I enter the root ID & passwd for the linux server I nicely am
    > told "network path not found" .. well I've been turning rounds here .. If not
    > one error the I get the other.

    When you installed Redhat, you probably chose to install their firewall.
    It blocks ports 137-139 by default. You will have to open these ports up
    to allow smb communication.
    Don't ask me how to do this as I do not use Redhat. Post a question in
    the redhat newsgroups.

    > I've been reading and searching through what feels like a few million articles
    > on the net, nothing new turns up ie all what was written I tried it out + a
    > couple of 1000 other combinations .. super frustrating part : all the
    > diagnostic test work ok ie browsing & paths to server & client work ok, shares
    > are visible and accessible ... only that stupid joining domain fails ..

    See my webpage below for some help

    > I'm totaly devoid of more ideas ?? any help available ? :-)
    > (need my smb.conf ?)
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > remove_clothes to answer over email

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. Re: samba PDC for XP .. a PITA ??

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > In article , imbsysop@_clothesyahoo.com
    > says...
    > > OK I've gotten utterly frustrated over the last 2 weeks ..
    > >
    > > A working PC node with Win98SE PC's and a samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2 as PDC

    had to
    > > be transplanted to a new location and the node was split over 2

    subdomains. So
    > > I thought : let's upgrade to RH 9 & samba 2.2.8a .. bummer
    > >
    > > I tried a single nic system with a remote announce, a single nic with an
    > > additional network alias (2 IP #) and at last a 2 nic system .. all

    present
    > > the same problem. they won't let me join the domain !

    > Please list exact error messages...generic messages do not mean a thing.

    these so called generic messages were explained a bit just below these lines
    ... :-)

    > > Or I cannot find the domain getting the rror code that the domain is not
    > > registered in DNS ..

    snip
    > > domain. When I enter the root ID & passwd for the linux server I nicely

    am
    > > told "network path not found" .. well I've been turning rounds here ..

    If not
    > > one error the I get the other.

    > When you installed Redhat, you probably chose to install their firewall.
    > It blocks ports 137-139 by default. You will have to open these ports up
    > to allow smb communication.

    this got me stuck for a day or 2 but I cured that underwhile ..

    but with or without iptables .. the result is just the same ..

    > > I've been reading and searching through what feels like a few million

    articles
    > > on the net, snip

    > See my webpage below for some help

    ... and that includes yr website too .. nothing there that I haven't or
    hadn't tried before .. it is not curing anything ... :-(

    thnx anyway :-)

+ Reply to Thread