[linux] nmbd not smegging working - SMB

This is a discussion on [linux] nmbd not smegging working - SMB ; Dear all, I recently had a strange problem with my RedHat 9 installation. It went like this: "/dev/null is a directory" when I tried to start most services, so I'm thinking that some important important system file mysteriously disappeared (or ...

  1. [linux] nmbd not smegging working

    Dear all,
    I recently had a strange problem with my RedHat 9 installation. It went
    like this: "/dev/null is a directory" when I tried to start most
    services, so I'm thinking that some important important system file
    mysteriously disappeared (or something bad happened anyway). It
    (coincidentally?) happened as I was trying to create a new account for a
    machine that waws to access smb shares.
    So I reinstalled everything but my /home partition and now my new nmbd
    doesn't work at all (it seems to immediately go to background running,
    but a quick 'ps -ef' shows that it's not running shortly after I tell it
    to). I thought this very strange as I had reformatted the trouble
    partitions before my fresh install. Anyway, it's a brand new copy of
    samba, yet nmbd does not work in the slightest.]
    Anyone experienced the same sort of crap before? Is it possible a rogue
    windows machine on my network is being nasty? Any help/suggestions would
    be nice. Ta!

    Ben O'B

  2. Re: [linux] nmbd not smegging working

    ftoomch wrote:
    > Dear all,
    > I recently had a strange problem with my RedHat 9 installation. It
    > went like this: "/dev/null is a directory" when I tried to start most
    > services, so I'm thinking that some important important system file
    > mysteriously disappeared (or something bad happened anyway). It
    > (coincidentally?) happened as I was trying to create a new account for a
    > machine that waws to access smb shares.
    > So I reinstalled everything but my /home partition and now my new
    > nmbd doesn't work at all (it seems to immediately go to background
    > running, but a quick 'ps -ef' shows that it's not running shortly after
    > I tell it to). I thought this very strange as I had reformatted the
    > trouble partitions before my fresh install. Anyway, it's a brand new
    > copy of samba, yet nmbd does not work in the slightest.]
    > Anyone experienced the same sort of crap before? Is it possible a
    > rogue windows machine on my network is being nasty? Any help/suggestions
    > would be nice. Ta!
    >
    > Ben O'B

    forget it, i b idiot. derr.

+ Reply to Thread