Here is the command I am using:

mount -t smbfs //computername/c$ /mnt/mountname -o
workgroup=domainname,username=scripts,password=xxx xxx

The problem is that sometimes it mounts right away and works perfectly,
but other times the command just hangs forever until I interrupt it.
After a umount I attemt to mount it again and the command hangs, however
most of the time it successfully mounts but the command is still
stalled! Any ideas? I have tried the commands smbmount, mount.smb, and
mount -t smbfs. I think it has something to do with the timing of
authentication on the Windows machine after a umount.

thanks

Red Hat 8.0
Kernel 2.4.20-18.9
bash-2.05b-20.1