I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC - SMB

This is a discussion on I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC - SMB ; Hi All, Today I had a little break through in trying to get our XP laptops to access the shares samba serves. It was on a laptop where I had done lots of other fiddles, to the point where the ...

  1. I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC

    Hi All,

    Today I had a little break through in trying to get our XP laptops to
    access the shares samba serves.

    It was on a laptop where I had done lots of other fiddles, to the point
    where the laptop was allowed to browse the workgroup HINWICK (finally)
    but it would not see our samba server and even forcing a connection
    would not work.

    But then I wondered why there has nothing about plain passwords in XP
    mentioned, so I had a look and there was 3 entries for
    enableplaintextpassword all set to 0.

    So I changed all 3 entries to 1 and restarted the laptop.

    Blimey, when I browsed the workgroup HINWICK there was the samba
    server!!!

    So I logged of the laptop as Administrator and logged back on as guest,
    tried to browse the workgroup HINWICK and was told I did not have
    permission etc rubbish useless XP error comment that is worth rambling
    on and on cos MS really annoyed me today.

    I guess that the fiddles I did to the user Administrator did not carry
    over to the user guest. I checked the reg and the 3
    enableplaintextpassword entries where still 1.

    Any comments on why this all happened?

    M.
    --
    Mark Worsdall
    https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=LS79YHQ9VUGLJ

  2. Re: I got XP connecting to Samba when its not a PDC

    In article <+KfGEvPi1xA$Ewz1@worsdall.demon.co.uk>, usenet@wizdom.org.uk
    says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Today I had a little break through in trying to get our XP laptops to
    > access the shares samba serves.
    >
    > It was on a laptop where I had done lots of other fiddles, to the point
    > where the laptop was allowed to browse the workgroup HINWICK (finally)
    > but it would not see our samba server and even forcing a connection
    > would not work.
    >
    > But then I wondered why there has nothing about plain passwords in XP
    > mentioned, so I had a look and there was 3 entries for
    > enableplaintextpassword all set to 0.
    >
    > So I changed all 3 entries to 1 and restarted the laptop.
    >
    > Blimey, when I browsed the workgroup HINWICK there was the samba
    > server!!!
    >
    > So I logged of the laptop as Administrator and logged back on as guest,
    > tried to browse the workgroup HINWICK and was told I did not have
    > permission etc rubbish useless XP error comment that is worth rambling
    > on and on cos MS really annoyed me today.
    >
    > I guess that the fiddles I did to the user Administrator did not carry
    > over to the user guest. I checked the reg and the 3
    > enableplaintextpassword entries where still 1.
    >
    > Any comments on why this all happened?
    >
    > M.

    See http://samba.netfirms.com/faq.htm for details on the plaintext
    password misconceptions,there are 2 faq regarding this. Then go the
    homepage and do some reading for properly setting up samba.
    www.samba.netfirms.com

    --
    Regards,
    Mark