Access the first file thru Samba is SLOW - SMB

This is a discussion on Access the first file thru Samba is SLOW - SMB ; Hi Samba fans, Accessing files (both read/write) thru Samba seems to be quite slow. Details: accessing the first file is very slow (20+ sec), after that access other files (or the same files) is under 1 sec. If I don't ...

  1. Access the first file thru Samba is SLOW

    Hi Samba fans,

    Accessing files (both read/write) thru Samba seems to be quite slow.

    Details:
    accessing the first file is very slow (20+ sec), after that access other files
    (or the same files) is under 1 sec. If I don't access any of the files for
    awhile, the problem happens again.

    My config is:
    - client is Windows 2000
    - Samba server is run in Solaris

    Another possible cause of problem is that all those files live in
    a single directory; it has 5000+ files there.
    And I don't think I can change this stupid file structure.

    My guess is: when the connection is established, things go fast.
    When cache of the directory is established, things go fast.

    Question:

    Could you give me pointers to possible cause of the problem
    and suggestion to improve it?
    [I have access to SysAdmin of both the client and server sides]

    Thank in advance.

    J.

  2. Re: Access the first file thru Samba is SLOW

    The problem is with Windows trying to use a protocol or service to access
    the share that Samba doesnt recognise I beleive. In windows XP the easy
    solution I found was to disable the WebClient service and that fixed it for
    me and numerous others.

    Also make sure you have got the right registry patches applied to you
    windows boxes and you are running that 2.2.8a(latest samba version)

    Give it a go and let us know how things go.

    Matt.

    "Joe" wrote in message
    news:77b50bc5.0306301652.79281ff6@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Samba fans,
    >
    > Accessing files (both read/write) thru Samba seems to be quite slow.
    >
    > Details:
    > accessing the first file is very slow (20+ sec), after that access other

    files
    > (or the same files) is under 1 sec. If I don't access any of the files for
    > awhile, the problem happens again.
    >
    > My config is:
    > - client is Windows 2000
    > - Samba server is run in Solaris
    >
    > Another possible cause of problem is that all those files live in
    > a single directory; it has 5000+ files there.
    > And I don't think I can change this stupid file structure.
    >
    > My guess is: when the connection is established, things go fast.
    > When cache of the directory is established, things go fast.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > Could you give me pointers to possible cause of the problem
    > and suggestion to improve it?
    > [I have access to SysAdmin of both the client and server sides]
    >
    > Thank in advance.
    >
    > J.

  3. Re: Access the first file thru Samba is SLOW

    yes he is, and I should have mentioned to make sure you disable any
    protocols that you arnt using such as IPX etc cause these can also cause
    problems.

    Matt.

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > In article <3f00f8e6$0$9666$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
    > mattpearce@BUGGEROFFWITHTHESPAMoptusnet.com.au says...
    > > The problem is with Windows trying to use a protocol or service to

    access
    > > the share that Samba doesnt recognise I beleive.

    > Huhhh???
    >
    > > In windows XP the easy solution I found was to disable the WebClient

    service and that fixed it for
    > > me and numerous others.

    > True, however OP is using win2000
    >
    > > Also make sure you have got the right registry patches applied to you
    > > windows boxes and you are running that 2.2.8a(latest samba version)

    > There are no patches needed for windows except for the WinXP signorseal
    > patch. Win2000 + SP4 is still being, will be ironed out, after all
    > Win20000 SP4 is only days old.... See Shaun Marolf's post in linux.samba
    > for more info. Do a google groups search for sp4 profile issue update.
    > >
    > > Give it a go and let us know how things go.
    > >
    > > Matt.
    > >
    > > "Joe" wrote in message
    > > news:77b50bc5.0306301652.79281ff6@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Hi Samba fans,
    > > >
    > > > Accessing files (both read/write) thru Samba seems to be quite slow.
    > > >
    > > > Details:
    > > > accessing the first file is very slow (20+ sec), after that access

    other
    > > files
    > > > (or the same files) is under 1 sec. If I don't access any of the files

    for
    > > > awhile, the problem happens again.
    > > >
    > > > My config is:
    > > > - client is Windows 2000
    > > > - Samba server is run in Solaris
    > > >
    > > > Another possible cause of problem is that all those files live in
    > > > a single directory; it has 5000+ files there.
    > > > And I don't think I can change this stupid file structure.

    > Big problem....
    > > >
    > > > My guess is: when the connection is established, things go fast.
    > > > When cache of the directory is established, things go fast.

    > True....
    > > >
    > > > Question:
    > > >
    > > > Could you give me pointers to possible cause of the problem
    > > > and suggestion to improve it?

    > See "Big problem" above
    > Try adding to [global]
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=12000
    >
    > > > [I have access to SysAdmin of both the client and server sides]
    > > >
    > > > Thank in advance.
    > > >
    > > > J.

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Mark
    > Samba Setup Guide
    > www.samba.netfirms.com

  4. Re: Access the first file thru Samba is SLOW

    I messed up the follow-up to my original posting.
    Here we go again.

    After reading all the postings (THANKS!), I did a bit of research.
    This is what I found:

    1. In my client machine
    - it is a Window 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 2
    - it has only one active network connection (netelligent 10/100 tx pci)
    ---- it has three components
    ---- 1. client for microsoft network
    ---- 2. file and print sharing for microsoft networks
    ---- 3. internet protocol tcp/ip

    2. For the samba running in Solaris 5.8,
    - the samba version running there is 2.2.4
    - it has the parameter TCP_NODELAY set

    3. When I access the remote files, I ALWAYS use UNC
    "e.g., \\remote_host\share\..."
    instead of having the remote drive mapped.

    I do that because this way I don't need to worry
    about re-map the drive if the connection goes away.
    I wonder if there is a feature that allow Windows
    to automatically re-map the drive when a broker drive
    is accessed??

    QUESTION:

    - Since my window 2000 is in SP2, does it mean I can ignore
    the Shaun Marolf's SP4 issue? Is there more I can do in the
    client side?

    - Should I install some newer SP to the win2k?

    - My samba is in 2.2.4, should I upgrade to a newer version?
    What version is good and less trouble for me?

+ Reply to Thread