How to stop PDC password expiration with Win2K client? - SMB

This is a discussion on How to stop PDC password expiration with Win2K client? - SMB ; When running Samba 2.2.8a as PDC I'm finding that with a Windows 2000 Professional client, password expiration seems to be taking place by default. That is, every so often when logging into the Samba PDC with the Win2K system a ...

  1. How to stop PDC password expiration with Win2K client?

    When running Samba 2.2.8a as PDC I'm finding that with a Windows 2000
    Professional client, password expiration seems to be taking place by default.
    That is, every so often when logging into the Samba PDC with the Win2K
    system a message stating that the "password will expire in N days" appears.

    I don't see an option in the smbpasswd man files (either for the program or
    the file format) for setting a non-expiring password. However, if smbpasswd
    is used to reset the password, the expiration notice goes away for a period
    of time.

    How can I set the Samba password to simply not expire? (Or is this an issue
    on the Windows 2000 side?)

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  2. Re: How to stop PDC password expiration with Win2K client?

    After doing more research into the problem, it appears that it is
    some kind of Windows 2000 thing -- just about every reference I
    found for password expiration was from people trying to to find a
    way to turn it on since there apparently is none in Samba by default.

    What I've found is that the expiration message is specific to the
    password-protected screen saver (the logon screen saver that comes
    with Win2000). The screen saver reports that the password is about
    to expire, but it you reboot the system you can log in without any
    complaints. Bizarre...

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)