strange share connection behavior - SMB

This is a discussion on strange share connection behavior - SMB ; I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8. I'm sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around pretty carefully and can't find anything quite related to it. I'm seeing something ...

  1. strange share connection behavior

    I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8. I'm
    sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around pretty
    carefully and can't find anything quite related to it.
    I'm seeing something that is really annoying and I don't really understand.
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Samba, but it's definitely
    SMB-related so hopefully, someone can help me out.

    This works:
    net use t: \\\tmp

    This does not:
    net use t: \\\tmp

    The error returned looks like this:
    <---snip--->
    System error 1219 has occurred.

    Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using
    more
    than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to
    the
    server or shared resource and try again..

    When I check the NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -c) after trying this, the name> and IP are correctly cached, so I know name resolution is working
    properly.

    I think it may be related to the output of a net use:
    <---snip--->
    New connections will be remembered.

    Status Local Remote Network

    ---
    Disconnected \\\james Microsoft Windows
    Network
    Disconnected \\\tmp Microsoft Windows
    Network

    It looks like XP is caching the connection goo, and somehow that is causing
    the conflict, but even though the connection parameters look cached, I can't
    can't connect through a straight UNC lookup, much less mounting a drive.

    Anyone have any suggestions? Insight?

    Thanks,
    James Hughes

  2. Re: strange share connection behavior

    I also forgot to mention that this is a workgroup setup and _not_ a domain.

    "James Hughes" wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8. I'm
    > sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around pretty
    > carefully and can't find anything quite related to it.
    > I'm seeing something that is really annoying and I don't really

    understand.
    > I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Samba, but it's definitely
    > SMB-related so hopefully, someone can help me out.
    >
    > This works:
    > net use t: \\\tmp
    >
    > This does not:
    > net use t: \\\tmp
    >
    > The error returned looks like this:
    > <---snip--->
    > System error 1219 has occurred.
    >
    > Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user,

    using
    > more
    > than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections

    > the
    > server or shared resource and try again..
    >

    > When I check the NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -c) after trying this, the > name> and IP are correctly cached, so I know name resolution is working
    > properly.
    >
    > I think it may be related to the output of a net use:
    > <---snip--->
    > New connections will be remembered.
    >
    > Status Local Remote Network

    > ---
    > Disconnected \\\james Microsoft Windows
    > Network
    > Disconnected \\\tmp Microsoft Windows
    > Network
    >

    > It looks like XP is caching the connection goo, and somehow that is

    causing
    > the conflict, but even though the connection parameters look cached, I

    can't
    > can't connect through a straight UNC lookup, much less mounting a drive.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions? Insight?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James Hughes

  3. Re: strange share connection behavior

    In article , james@virtualjames.com
    says...
    > I'm using Windows XP to connect to a Samba 2.2.8 box running Redhat 8. I'm
    > sure this problem has been posted ad nauseum, but I searched around pretty
    > carefully and can't find anything quite related to it.
    > I'm seeing something that is really annoying and I don't really understand.
    > I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Samba, but it's definitely
    > SMB-related so hopefully, someone can help me out.
    >
    > This works:
    > net use t: \\\tmp
    >
    > This does not:
    > net use t: \\\tmp

    Seeems like a DNS problem to me.
    Can you ping the linux pc by name only?

    > The error returned looks like this:
    > <---snip--->
    > System error 1219 has occurred.

    look here at the results
    http://tinyurl.com/fkcr

    > Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using
    > more
    > than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to
    > the
    > server or shared resource and try again..
    >

    > When I check the NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -c) after trying this, the > name> and IP are correctly cached, so I know name resolution is working
    > properly.
    >
    > I think it may be related to the output of a net use:
    > <---snip--->
    > New connections will be remembered.
    >
    > Status Local Remote Network

    > ---
    > Disconnected \\\james Microsoft Windows
    > Network
    > Disconnected \\\tmp Microsoft Windows
    > Network

    If you post for help, do not munge ip addresses, names etc.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  4. Re: strange share connection behavior

    I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but the solution is to run a "net
    use" (without parameters) and go through the output deleting all of the
    cruft.
    For example, a net use on my box gives me this:

    Disconnected \\enchilada\tmp Microsoft Windows Network
    Disconnected \\enchilada\james Microsoft Windows Network
    Disconnected \\boron\Movies Microsoft Windows Network

    Most of these connections were auto-generated by Windows XP. I think this is
    a clue to the problem as XP tries to pre-populate your Network Places with
    all the shares on the network. Trying to fire up a new mounted drive causes
    some kind of conflict since XP thinks it has already transparently used your
    credentials to log onto the "Disconnected" boxes. Hence, the error "Multiple
    connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than
    one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the
    server or shared resource and try again.."

    Of course... follow the directions. For once they are actually helpful.
    Although the stated problem didn't initially make any sense to me, it was
    actually accurate. Another triumph for Microsoft usability...

    If you manually go through and do a

    net use \\enchilada\tmp /DELETE
    net use \\enchilada\james /DELETE

    ....so that all references to the server you are trying to connect to are
    GONE when you type "net use", you can then mount a drive to that server,
    connect by UNC, etc..

    YUCK.

    -James

+ Reply to Thread