Samba Unauthenticted Printing - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba Unauthenticted Printing - SMB ; I am running a Samba 2.2.8 server for access from XP workstations. It's been working fine, but some users wanted to be able to print to the shared printers even if they had not logged in. So, I changed a ...

  1. Samba Unauthenticted Printing

    I am running a Samba 2.2.8 server for access from XP workstations.
    It's been working fine, but some users wanted to be able to print to
    the shared printers even if they had not logged in. So, I changed a
    few things including the global setting:

    map to guest = Bad Password

    This enables a user to connect to the server as guest whenever their
    password or username are wrong, so they can always browse guest
    accessible resources.

    But, it creates a problem when a user logs in locally to a workstation
    with a username which is the same as a username on the server, but the
    passwords are different. Once the workstation has connected to the
    server as guest (which it evidently does automatically because the
    username or password are wrong), it will not connect as any other
    user, even a valid one. They get the error: "Multiple connections to
    a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user
    name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the
    server or shared resource and try again.". Of course, issuing a 'net
    use' command from the command prompt indicated that there are no
    "previous" connections anyway.

    The entry could be changed to:

    map to guest = Bad User

    But this would only allow access from users already logged into the
    workstation with the correct (same as the server) username and
    password, or users logged into the workstation with a username that
    does not exist on the server. Other users (those logged into the
    workstation with a username that matches the server and a password
    that does not) would have no access to the server until they logged in
    using the correct password. Thus, they still can not print until they
    log in.

    Does anyone know a way to allow access from a valid user, who has
    differing local and server passwords but who has not logged into the
    server? (Besides setting up a separate print server)

    Thanks four your help.

  2. Re: Samba Unauthenticted Printing

    Greg Corner wrote:
    > I am running a Samba 2.2.8 server for access from XP workstations.
    > It's been working fine, but some users wanted to be able to print to
    > the shared printers even if they had not logged in.

    Are you using CUPS? If so just point the clients at:
    http://print.server:631/printers/myprinter (replacing print.server with
    the name of your print server and myprinter with the name of the print
    queue).

    --
    Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

+ Reply to Thread