Re: NT2000 & XP clients will not logon to samba - SMB

This is a discussion on Re: NT2000 & XP clients will not logon to samba - SMB ; Mark Worsdall wrote: > So what I am saying is I cannot see where the domain name is set in the > smb.conf file. If you've set SAMBA up to work with domains then the workgroup setting sets the domain ...

  1. Re: NT2000 & XP clients will not logon to samba

    Mark Worsdall wrote:
    > So what I am saying is I cannot see where the domain name is set in the
    > smb.conf file.

    If you've set SAMBA up to work with domains then the workgroup setting
    sets the domain name.

    --
    Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

  2. Re: NT2000 & XP clients will not logon to samba

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:13:07 +0100, Mark Worsdall wrote:

    > This is just a nightmare.... and I have to do this on a live working box
    > where all the win9x clients are DOMAIN logging on fine at the moment.
    >
    > I just have no idea really what to do all the explanations are just
    > getting more and more confusing... sorry Rob:-)
    >
    > Look my win9x clients during boot up have 3 boxes to fill in:
    >
    > Username
    > Password
    > Domain
    >
    > Domain is already pre-filled in with the word HINWICK
    >
    > But samba is not configured as a PDC yet, but they are logging on fine
    > because smb.conf:workgroup = HINWICK and smb.conf:security = user
    >
    > If I change smb.conf:workgroup = HINWICK to smb.conf:workgroup = HINDOM
    > does that not mean the win9x clients will no longer logon because they
    > have HINWICK in the domain box?
    >
    > Why could they just have had smb.conf:domain = HINDOM so workgroup
    > stayed the same setting?

    The workgroup and domain setup with win9x is really a nightmare. You have
    (somewhere in control panel - network) the option to make your winbox a
    member of a workgroup by typing its name in. Also, at another place I just
    don't remember yet, there is an option to set network identification by ms
    windows client. And, again somewhere else, after opening a tab, you can
    click a checkbox for nt domain authentication and also enter a domain
    name. And hell breaks loose if this name is different to the previously
    entered workgroup ...

    > Anyway back to trying to get this to all happen, assuming I have
    > machines accounts automatically being created and assuming smbpasswd
    > file is setup correctly I am still confused about the DOMAIN WORKGROUP
    > thing.

    Win9x doesn't benefit from machine accounts, because it can't really
    authenticate (challenge/response) against a domain controller. However, it
    can forward auth requests to the DC and you can fine-tune local network
    shares with regard to domain user names (not yet groups, unfortunately).

    --
    WinXXP error#4711: NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
    patterns on mousepad. Background partition scan in progress to remove offending

+ Reply to Thread