Sharing Printers and scanner in SAMBA - SMB

This is a discussion on Sharing Printers and scanner in SAMBA - SMB ; Hello, I have a Linux box with 2 printers attached and 1 scanner. One printer connects with LPT1, the other with USB and the scanner is USB also. I want to share all these within my local network. For that, ...

  1. Sharing Printers and scanner in SAMBA

    Hello,
    I have a Linux box with 2 printers attached and 1 scanner. One printer
    connects with LPT1, the other with USB and the scanner is USB also.
    I want to share all these within my local network. For that, I installed
    Samba.
    When I start the Linux box, the parallel printer starts to print rubbish. I
    supposed that was a problem with the printer itself, but I switched on alone
    without the printer connection and was Ok. The thing starts when starts the
    Linux. I observed that there is a daemon, lpd, that is started with Linux. I
    killed it from the command line, but the printer continues to print rubbish.

    I tried to share them within the LAN I have. It is composed of the Linux box
    and 2 Windows machines. The 2 printers are 'seen' by the two Windows
    machines, but when I install the drivers for them a message appears: "Access
    denied".

    I copy the smb.conf file I have here:

    [global]
    encrypt passwords = yes
    workgroup = WORKGROUP

    [HPLaserJ]
    printable = yes
    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    printer = /dev/lp0
    printing = BSD
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes

    [Stylus740]
    printable = yes
    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    printer = /dev/usb/lp0
    printing = BSD
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes

    [test]
    Comment = Testeo de Samba
    path = /hda3
    valid users = juan jose
    read only = no

    The printers are HP LaserJet 1100 (parallel) and Epson Stylus Color 740I
    (USB).
    The scanner is an HP ScanJet 2200c (USB).
    I have already installed the respective drivers in the Windows machines.
    Maybe I have to put a different configuration in smb.conf.
    I will wait your answers.

    Thanks in advance.

    Juan

  2. Re: Sharing Printers and scanner in SAMBA

    In article <3ef8b87c@shknews01>,
    "Juan" writes:

    > I have a Linux box with 2 printers attached and 1 scanner. One printer
    > connects with LPT1, the other with USB and the scanner is USB also.
    > I want to share all these within my local network. For that, I installed
    > Samba.

    First off, Samba can be used for sharing the printers, and this is the
    traditional approach to sharing with Windows clients. To share the
    scanner, you'll need something else. The Linux SANE package
    (http://panda.mostang.com/sane/) is the Linux scanner package, and it
    supports network operations. If you want to share with another Linux or
    Unix system, SANE alone should work. If you want to share with a Windows
    client, you'll need a Windows SANE front-end, such as SaneTwain
    (http://sanetwain.ozuzo.net).

    > When I start the Linux box, the parallel printer starts to print rubbish. I
    > supposed that was a problem with the printer itself, but I switched on alone
    > without the printer connection and was Ok. The thing starts when starts the
    > Linux. I observed that there is a daemon, lpd, that is started with Linux. I
    > killed it from the command line, but the printer continues to print rubbish.

    My suspicion is that you've got a bad cable or a bad parallel port. It's
    also possible you've got some non-standard process running that's feeding
    gibberish to the parallel port, but this certainly isn't a standard part
    of any Linux configuration.

    > I tried to share them within the LAN I have. It is composed of the Linux box
    > and 2 Windows machines. The 2 printers are 'seen' by the two Windows
    > machines, but when I install the drivers for them a message appears: "Access
    > denied".
    >
    > I copy the smb.conf file I have here:
    >
    > [HPLaserJ]
    > printable = yes
    > print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    > printer = /dev/lp0
    > printing = BSD
    > read only = yes
    > guest ok = yes
    >
    > [Stylus740]
    > printable = yes
    > print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    > printer = /dev/usb/lp0
    > printing = BSD
    > read only = yes
    > guest ok = yes

    Two problems with these shares jump out at me:

    1) The "read only" parameter, when set to "yes" as you've done, creates a
    read-only share. This makes a printer share 100% useless, because
    users can't send print jobs to the share. Change this detail and the
    "access denied" message will probably go away, although I can't make
    any promises. (It's not clear from your message what's generating that
    error.)
    2) The "printer" parameter should specify a printer name, as listed in
    /etc/printcap, not a printer device file. If you haven't yet configured
    a printer to appear in /etc/printcap, do so now. Trying to get Samba to
    share a printer before it's working in Linux is pointless. (Well, there
    are partial exceptions and workarounds, but they're harder to describe
    and configure, overall.)

    Also, if you're using a Samba package that came with your Linux
    distribution, the "print command" and "printing" options are probably
    unnecessary. They may be OK as you've listed them, or they may cause
    problems. Unless you have a specific reason to override the defaults, I
    recommend omitting those lines. On another matter, you may need to add
    passwords to the Samba encrypted password tool by using the smbpasswd
    program.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com