Re: problem with Samba 2.2.7a and RedHat9 - SMB

This is a discussion on Re: problem with Samba 2.2.7a and RedHat9 - SMB ; Jens-René Wiedemann wrote: > Yes I could do this, but I have tried and it seems that in Redhat9 most > manuals are in unicode and I am not able to read them with 8-bit charset. > The System has ...

  1. Re: problem with Samba 2.2.7a and RedHat9

    Jens-René Wiedemann wrote:

    > Yes I could do this, but I have tried and it seems that in Redhat9 most
    > manuals are in unicode and I am not able to read them with 8-bit charset.
    > The System has unicode as standard. Is there a good solution?

    Set your "LANG" to "POSIX" as your personal default. That amazingly
    stupid default "en_US" setting screws up more perfectly good programs....

  2. Re: problem with Samba 2.2.7a and RedHat9

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:04:02 GMT,
    Nico Kadel-Garcia , in
    <3EF7BFA1.8010203@verizon.net> wrote:
    +> Jens-René Wiedemann wrote:
    +>
    +> > Yes I could do this, but I have tried and it seems that in Redhat9 most
    +> > manuals are in unicode and I am not able to read them with 8-bit charset.
    +> > The System has unicode as standard. Is there a good solution?
    +>
    +> Set your "LANG" to "POSIX" as your personal default. That amazingly
    +> stupid default "en_US" setting screws up more perfectly good programs....

    That's one way, another would be to modify the setting in
    /etc/sysconfig/i18n . That would make the change global, if so
    desired. On my copy of RH9, it set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 which causes
    acroread to barf. Bad acroread, no biscuit!

    James
    isn't looking good, either.