Problems with Samba share access - SMB

This is a discussion on Problems with Samba share access - SMB ; Hello all, I'm having some trouble getting my Debian-based NAS running correctly with Samba permissions. For trouble-shooting purposes, I have three machines of interest: --MACHINE A: NAS (running Debian/2.6), the machine I want to share folders --MACHINE B: Windows Vista: ...

  1. Problems with Samba share access

    Hello all,

    I'm having some trouble getting my Debian-based NAS running correctly
    with Samba permissions.

    For trouble-shooting purposes, I have three machines of interest:

    --MACHINE A: NAS (running Debian/2.6), the machine I want to share
    folders
    --MACHINE B: Windows Vista: Samba read/write share access works great,
    no problems
    --MACHINE C: Linux (running Debian/2.6) machine: SHARE ACCESS VERY
    SLOW/FAILS

    So, my problem is that when I attempt to share MACHINE A with MACHINE
    C, I see the following behavior:

    1) "Authentication Required" dialog pops up, requesting authorization
    for guest@DOMAIN_NAME on DOMAIN_NAME (where DOMAIN_NAME is my
    workgroup name)
    2) After providing a password, I get a second "Authentication
    Required" dialog, this time indicating authorization for
    USER_NAME@DOMAIN_NAME on DOMAIN_NAME (where USER_NAME is my user name)
    3) After providing a password again, some time passes--on the order of
    30-90 seconds--and this second dialog again is displayed.

    At this point, I either see this process repeated (repeat step 3
    indefinitely), and never get access granted, or--after another 30-90
    seconds--I finally receive access to the Samba shares. In the event I
    do get access granted, I have no problems with access for the rest of
    my session (until session restart or machine restart). So it seems
    something is getting cached.

    So, clearly, there appears to be some sort of negotiating happening
    here between MACHINE A (the Samba server) and MACHINE C (the Samba
    client).

    Some details:

    --Both machines are running Samba 3.0.24
    --smb.conf is config'd with security = SHARE; specific shares with
    read only = No, and guest ok = Yes
    --I have no problems with share access between MACHINE A (NAS device:
    the Samba server) and MACHINE B (Windows Vista: the Samba client)

    So, here are my questions:

    --What might cause this kind of behavior? How can I get rid of these
    long authentication delays?
    --What tools are available to me for troubleshooting a Samba
    negotiation?

    Thanks much.

  2. Re: Problems with Samba share access

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:34:20 -0800 (PST),
    richbl , in
    wrote:

    >+ I'm having some trouble getting my Debian-based NAS running correctly
    >+ with Samba permissions.
    >+
    >+ For trouble-shooting purposes, I have three machines of interest:
    >+
    >+ --MACHINE A: NAS (running Debian/2.6), the machine I want to share
    >+ folders
    >+ --MACHINE B: Windows Vista: Samba read/write share access works great,
    >+ no problems
    >+ --MACHINE C: Linux (running Debian/2.6) machine: SHARE ACCESS VERY
    >+ SLOW/FAILS

    The obvious solution is to install NFS and use native network file
    sharing. Install nfs support:

    apt-get nfs-kernel-server nfs-common

    then modify /etc/exports on NAS (Machine A) to have a line similar to

    /mnt MachineC(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

    where /mnt is the mounted filesystem you want to share,
    "MachineC" is the a machine name/IP # that you want to be able
    to remotely mount the share in question.

    Then, on Machine C, modify your /etc/fstab file to have this sort of
    line:

    MachineA:/mnt /mnt nfs auto,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=14,hard,intr,
    nosuid,nodev,nolock,actimeo=0

    (all on one line)

    Of course, you'll get native Linux file access doing things this way.

    isn't looking good, either.