su on Slamd64 - Slackware

This is a discussion on su on Slamd64 - Slackware ; Hi, I'm running 4 Slamd64 boxes (11.0 and 12.0), and on 1 box only su is not working anymore for common users... Each time I tried I got "Sorry", no other explanation. Nothing seen in any log file : marc@equinoxe:~$ ...

  1. su on Slamd64

    Hi,

    I'm running 4 Slamd64 boxes (11.0 and 12.0), and on 1 box only su is not
    working anymore for common users... Each time I tried I got "Sorry", no
    other explanation. Nothing seen in any log file :

    marc@equinoxe:~$ su -
    Password:
    Sorry.
    marc@equinoxe:~$

    /var/adm/secure says :
    Nov 11 11:13:27 equinoxe su[5334]: Authentication failed for root
    Nov 11 11:13:27 equinoxe su[5334]: - pts/3 marc-root

    Same reply with another user :
    marc@equinoxe:~$ su - xxxx
    Password:
    Sorry.

    Remote login using ssh is OK on this box, only local su seems to be broken.

    I spent some time on google without success, diff file from other config
    where su is working (my 3 installations are almost identical for the
    system part, no sudo used or configured, no pam installed)

    Any idea ?

    Regards,

    Marc.

    --
    L'I2C sous Windows
    http://perso.club-internet.fr/mbouget/index.html

  2. Re: su on Slamd64

    Marc wrote:

    > I'm running 4 Slamd64 boxes (11.0 and 12.0), and on 1 box only su is not
    > working anymore for common users... Each time I tried I got "Sorry", no
    > other explanation. ... Any idea ?

    setuid bit removed from file permissions? File system mounted such that
    setuid bit is not honored (mounted with "nosuid" option)?

    Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
    Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada

  3. Re: su on Slamd64

    Sylvain Robitaille a écrit :
    > Marc wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running 4 Slamd64 boxes (11.0 and 12.0), and on 1 box only su is not
    >> working anymore for common users... Each time I tried I got "Sorry", no
    >> other explanation. ... Any idea ?

    > setuid bit removed from file permissions? File system mounted such that
    > setuid bit is not honored (mounted with "nosuid" option)?

    Thank you, this is the problem, corrected now. I guess the problem
    occured last week while I was changing the root drive of this computer.
    tar didn't kept setuid bit on file ? --> so I while get some other problems.

    Regards,

    Marc.

    --
    L'I2C sous Windows