    I haven't been able to figure it out.
    Any help would be appreciated, jwc

  2. Re: how to edit .iso file

    On 2008-11-10, john connolly wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    > 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the .iso
    > system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop etc. it
    > mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to do this but
    > I haven't been able to figure it out.
    > Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    AFAIK you need to copy the iso contents elsewhere then build a
    new iso with mkisofs.

    matthew

  3. Re: how to edit .iso file

    john connolly wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    > 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the .iso
    > system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop etc. it
    > mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to do this but
    > I haven't been able to figure it out.
    > Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    Not sure, Matthew might be right. I seem to remember you can mount the
    iso somehow and edit it, but that won't actually shrink it. It will just
    have some un-allocated space.

    - Kurt

  4. Re: how to edit .iso file

    On 11月10日, 下午12时44分, Matthew wrote:
    > On 2008-11-10, john connolly wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    > > 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the .iso
    > > system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop etc. it
    > > mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to do this but
    > > I haven't been able to figure it out.
    > > Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    > AFAIK you need to copy the iso contents elsewhere then build a
    > new iso with mkisofs.
    >
    > matthew

    It has changes that the iso can't boot.
    Because you destoryed the mbr of the iso, I think.

  5. Re: how to edit .iso file

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 06:29:54 -0800, slackcode wrote:

    > On 11鏈10鏃, 涓嬪崍12鏃44鍒, Matthew wrote:
    >> On 2008-11-10, john connolly wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    >> > 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the
    >> > .iso system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop
    >> > etc. it mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to
    >> > do this but I haven't been able to figure it out.
    >> > Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    >> AFAIK you need to copy the iso contents elsewhere then build a new iso
    >> with mkisofs.
    >>
    >> matthew

    > It has changes that the iso can't boot. Because you destoryed the mbr of
    > the iso, I think.

    See

    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...nux/README.TXT

    for the official instructions.

    Note that some people have found that a -boot-load-size of 4 works better
    on some hardware than the 32 that page mentions.

  6. Re: how to edit .iso file

    On Nov 10, 12:31*pm, john connolly wrote:
    > Hi,
    > * * * * I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    > 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the .iso
    > system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop etc. it
    > mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to do this but
    > I haven't been able to figure it out.
    > * * * * Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    try isomaster

  7. Re: how to edit .iso file

    john connolly :
    > Hi,
    > I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    > 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the .iso
    > system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop etc. it
    > mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to do this but
    > I haven't been able to figure it out.
    > Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    ISO9660 file systems are read only by definition. You have to extract
    the contents, edit the structure and rebuild the ISO.

    --
    It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
    -- Andrew Jackson

    www.websterscafe.com

  8. Re: how to edit .iso file

    ~kurt :
    > john connolly wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    >> 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the .iso
    >> system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop etc. it
    >> mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to do this but
    >> I haven't been able to figure it out.
    >> Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    > Not sure, Matthew might be right. I seem to remember you can mount the
    > iso somehow and edit it, but that won't actually shrink it. It will just
    > have some un-allocated space.
    >
    > - Kurt

    ISO9660 filesystems can only be nounted read only because the filesystem
    is read only by definition. No extension (Rockridge, Joliet, UDF, etc)
    makes a writeable provision.

    --
    DON'T STOP BELIEVING

    www.websterscafe.com

  9. Re: how to edit .iso file

    On 2008-11-10, john connolly wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    > 700mb cd.

    Have you actually tried to burn the image, or are you just taking the >700
    number for granted. I've discovered some servers give iso size in true 1024
    bit bytes, whereas CDs and burn software seem to use the rounded 1000 bit
    number. I discovered this with an ubuntu iso. It showed as > 700Kbytes,
    but burned to a happy sub 700 size.

    694 * 1024 = 710656

    Give it a shot.

    nb

  10. Re: how to edit .iso file

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2008-11-10, john connolly wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    >> 700mb cd.

    > Have you actually tried to burn the image, or are you just taking the >700
    > number for granted. I've discovered some servers give iso size in true 1024
    > bit bytes, whereas CDs and burn software seem to use the rounded 1000 bit
    > number. I discovered this with an ubuntu iso. It showed as > 700Kbytes,
    > but burned to a happy sub 700 size.
    >
    > 694 * 1024 = 710656
    >
    > Give it a shot.

    That, and also try to "overburn" (there's an option in K3B for that).
    Most recorders are able to put ~20MB more on most CD-Rs.

  11. Re: how to edit .iso file

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 04:31:40 +0000, john connolly wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have downloaded an .iso file that is too big to be burned to a
    > 700mb cd. I have tried to get rid of some of the directories in the .iso
    > system so it will fit but when I mount it with the mount -o loop etc. it
    > mounts read-only and I can't edit it. There must be a way to do this but
    > I haven't been able to figure it out.
    > Any help would be appreciated, jwc

    Just to finish this off: I tried various solutions unsuccessfully and
    finally I mounted the .iso and did a mkisofs with the -x option and left
    out enough to give me a burnable .iso file.
    It's a workaround but it solved the problem for me. Thanks for your
    replies, jwc

  12. Re: how to edit .iso file

    Handover Phist wrote:

    > ISO9660 filesystems can only be nounted read only because the filesystem
    > is read only by definition. No extension (Rockridge, Joliet, UDF, etc)
    > makes a writeable provision.

    Yep, I just tried it - the mountpoint even changes to read only. I wonder
    if this has always been the case because I have some notes on how to
    mount and edit such files....

    - Kurt

  13. Re: how to edit .iso file

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, ~kurt wrote:

    > Handover Phist wrote:
    >>
    >> ISO9660 filesystems can only be nounted read only because the filesystem
    >> is read only by definition. No extension (Rockridge, Joliet, UDF, etc)
    >> makes a writeable provision.

    > Yep, I just tried it - the mountpoint even changes to read only. I wonder
    > if this has always been the case because I have some notes on how to
    > mount and edit such files....

    It's not so much whether or not it can be mounted RW, it's that an image
    is a fixed length. If you can delete something, there's no mechanism
    for freeing up the space. It's akin to having a photograph printed on
    paper, and then scratching out part of the picture. The picture may
    no longer be there, but the paper still takes up the same amount of space.

    Michael

  14. Re: how to edit .iso file

    Handover Phist wrote:
    > ISO9660 filesystems can only be nounted read only because the filesystem
    > is read only by definition. No extension (Rockridge, Joliet, UDF, etc)
    > makes a writeable provision.

    UDF is _not_ an extension on ISO9660 but "its own" filesystem and
    yes, it does support read-write on "selected media" (like IOmega
    REV drives, DVD-RAM disks etc.).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  15. Re: how to edit .iso file

    Eef Hartman :
    > Handover Phist wrote:
    >> ISO9660 filesystems can only be nounted read only because the filesystem
    >> is read only by definition. No extension (Rockridge, Joliet, UDF, etc)
    >> makes a writeable provision.

    > UDF is _not_ an extension on ISO9660 but "its own" filesystem and
    > yes, it does support read-write on "selected media" (like IOmega
    > REV drives, DVD-RAM disks etc.).

    I stand corrected, however the original point stands.

    --
    WHITEY WILL PAY

    www.websterscafe.com

+ Reply to Thread