Backups - compression and rsync v tar - Slackware

This is a discussion on Backups - compression and rsync v tar - Slackware ; Chaps, just wondered what the collective opinion would be on the below: Is there anything that is like a cross between rsync and tar? For some of my backups I am using tar with the j option for backing up ...

  1. Backups - compression and rsync v tar

    Chaps,

    just wondered what the collective opinion would be on the below:

    Is there anything that is like a cross between rsync and tar?

    For some of my backups I am using tar with the j option for backing up my
    home directory but this is getting very slow. Rsync would be faster as it
    would only back up the new or changes stuff but is not compressed. Is
    there something which effectively lets my rsync files with a tar archive?

    Best I can think of is using archivemount (a FUSE file system)

    http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind...iveFileSystems

    I can then simply rsync with the mounted archive.

    Thoughts?

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Backups - compression and rsync v tar

    On 2008-11-09, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Is there anything that is like a cross between rsync and tar?

    Hello Peter,

    I've been using duplicity[1] for a few months. It uses tar and gpg
    to do encrypted incremental backups against a variety of storage
    backends. [2]

    Hope that is helpful.

    Tom

    [1] http://duplicity.nongnu.org/
    [2] http://duplicity.nongnu.org/features.html

    --

  3. Re: Backups - compression and rsync v tar

    Peter Chant wrote :

    > For some of my backups I am using tar with the j option for backing up my
    > home directory but this is getting very slow.

    The tar command has a "--newer-mtime" option and if you use it this way:
    "--newer-mtime '2 days ago'" it will only archive files that has been
    changed or created less than 2 days ago.

    > Rsync would be faster as it would only back up the new or changes
    > stuff but is not compressed.

    From 'man rsync':
    -z, --compress compress file data during the transfer
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: Backups - compression and rsync v tar

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Peter Chant wrote :
    >
    >> For some of my backups I am using tar with the j option for backing up my
    >> home directory but this is getting very slow.

    > The tar command has a "--newer-mtime" option and if you use it this way:
    > "--newer-mtime '2 days ago'" it will only archive files that has been
    > changed or created less than 2 days ago.

    Thanks, I was vaguely aware of that. However, I was looking into getting
    something produced, that if I had to do a restore did not involve
    retreiving data from multiple files. OTOH I suppose its not too painfull
    to produce a script to do the backups and providing I'm tidy restore did
    not ought to be too bad.

    >> Rsync would be faster as it would only back up the new or changes
    >> stuff but is not compressed.

    > From 'man rsync':
    > -z, --compress compress file data during the transfer

    Know that one. However, trying to compress the stored files. Bascially
    it's my secondary backup disk which I only use every month or so and its a
    small.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  5. Re: Backups - compression and rsync v tar

    Tom Canich wrote:

    > On 2008-11-09, Peter Chant wrote:
    >> Is there anything that is like a cross between rsync and tar?

    > Hello Peter,
    >
    > I've been using duplicity[1] for a few months. It uses tar and gpg
    > to do encrypted incremental backups against a variety of storage
    > backends. [2]
    >
    > Hope that is helpful.

    Thanks. Once I built librsync it built, but its being a bit finnicky,
    perhas, when its not so late I ought to look into it, perhaps dependencies.
    Looks like it might do the job.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  6. Re: Backups - compression and rsync v tar

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 22:13:14 +0000, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >

    >> Peter Chant wrote :
    >>
    >>> For some of my backups I am using tar with the j option for backing up
    >>> my home directory but this is getting very slow.

    >> The tar command has a "--newer-mtime" option and if you use it this
    >> way: "--newer-mtime '2 days ago'" it will only archive files that has
    >> been changed or created less than 2 days ago.
    >>

    > Thanks, I was vaguely aware of that. However, I was looking into
    > getting something produced, that if I had to do a restore did not
    > involve retreiving data from multiple files. OTOH I suppose its not too
    > painfull to produce a script to do the backups and providing I'm tidy
    > restore did not ought to be too bad.
    >

    >>> Rsync would be faster as it would only back up the new or changes
    >>> stuff but is not compressed.

    >> From 'man rsync':
    >> -z, --compress compress file data during the transfer

    > Know that one. However, trying to compress the stored files. Bascially
    > it's my secondary backup disk which I only use every month or so and its
    > a small.

    if you're wanting to have a rsync|tar hybrid solution
    just to save some space why not use rsnapshot

    it's a perl program that uses rsync and hard links to only
    give extra storage to new files which weren't there in the full backup

  7. Re: Backups - compression and rsync v tar

    Hallo, Peter,

    Du meintest am 09.11.08:

    > just wondered what the collective opinion would be on the below:

    > Is there anything that is like a cross between rsync and tar?

    > For some of my backups I am using tar with the j option for backing
    > up my home directory but this is getting very slow. Rsync would be
    > faster as it would only back up the new or changes stuff but is not
    > compressed. Is there something which effectively lets my rsync files
    > with a tar archive?

    Nothing with "tar": what about "rsnapshot"? It makes as many backups as
    you want, it uses "rsync". And it uses hard links to save room.

    For about 25 backups on my major machine it uses the place of about
    three times one backup. Uncompressed. Searchable with "mc" (p.e.)

    And it's quick: backing up about 40 GByte needs 15 minutes on my 500 MHz
    384 MB RAM machine.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  8. Re: Backups - compression and rsync v tar

+ Reply to Thread