wlan: same configuration works on PC but not on Laptop - Slackware

This is a discussion on wlan: same configuration works on PC but not on Laptop - Slackware ; Hi, I just installed my laptop, the slack version is same as my PC's: Slackware 12.1. For using my wlan usb adapter (netgear wg111v2), I copied the configuration (simply a rc.inet1.conf file) from my PC to the laptop. After the ...

  1. wlan: same configuration works on PC but not on Laptop

    Hi,

    I just installed my laptop, the slack version is same as my PC's:
    Slackware 12.1. For using my wlan usb adapter (netgear wg111v2), I
    copied the configuration (simply a rc.inet1.conf file) from my PC to
    the laptop. After the laptop boot up, the 'ifconfig' seems ok, but
    the link does not actually work ( I can not ping my wireless
    receiver).

    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:4d:66:52:4a
    inet addr:192.168.1.5 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:
    255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::218:4dff:fe66:524a/64 Scope:Link

    wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
    00-18-4D-66-52-4A-77-6C-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

    Below are the configuration (the rc.inet1.conf file) I copied,

    IFNAME[4]="wlan0"
    IPADDR[4]="192.168.1.5"
    NETMASK[4]="255.255.255.0"
    USE_DHCP[4]="no"
    WLAN_ESSID[4]="narkehome"
    WLAN_MODE[4]=Managed
    WLAN_RATE[4]="54M auto"
    WLAN_CHANNEL[4]="auto"
    WLAN_KEY[4]="9C9****903"

    Have I missed anything? I can not image that why the same OS, same
    config, same USB adapter can works on one computer but not another.

  2. Re: wlan: same configuration works on PC but not on Laptop

    On Nov 8, 9:09 pm, Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed my laptop, the slack version is same as my PC's:
    > Slackware 12.1. For using my wlan usb adapter (netgear wg111v2), I
    > copied the configuration (simply a rc.inet1.conf file) from my PC to
    > the laptop. After the laptop boot up, the 'ifconfig' seems ok, but
    > the link does not actually work ( I can not ping my wireless
    > receiver).
    >
    > wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:4d:66:52:4a
    > inet addr:192.168.1.5 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:
    > 255.255.255.0
    > inet6 addr: fe80::218:4dff:fe66:524a/64 Scope:Link
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >
    > wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
    > 00-18-4D-66-52-4A-77-6C-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >
    > Below are the configuration (the rc.inet1.conf file) I copied,
    >
    > IFNAME[4]="wlan0"
    > IPADDR[4]="192.168.1.5"
    > NETMASK[4]="255.255.255.0"
    > USE_DHCP[4]="no"
    > WLAN_ESSID[4]="narkehome"
    > WLAN_MODE[4]=Managed
    > WLAN_RATE[4]="54M auto"
    > WLAN_CHANNEL[4]="auto"
    > WLAN_KEY[4]="9C9****903"
    >
    > Have I missed anything? I can not image that why the same OS, same
    > config, same USB adapter can works on one computer but not another.

    change the ip address, see if that helps

  3. Re: wlan: same configuration works on PC but not on Laptop

    Hallo, Steven,

    Du meintest am 08.11.08:

    > I just installed my laptop, the slack version is same as my PC's:
    > Slackware 12.1. For using my wlan usb adapter (netgear wg111v2), I
    > copied the configuration (simply a rc.inet1.conf file) from my PC to
    > the laptop. After the laptop boot up, the 'ifconfig' seems ok, but
    > the link does not actually work ( I can not ping my wireless
    > receiver).

    Maybe "udev" makes trouble.

    In my installation udev tells its interpretation of the interfaces in

    /etc/udev/rules.d/network-devices.rules
    /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  4. Re: wlan: same configuration works on PC but not on Laptop

    On Nov 10, 4:46 am, hel...@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:
    > Hallo, Steven,
    >
    > Du meintest am 08.11.08:
    >
    > > I just installed my laptop, the slack version is same as my PC's:
    > > Slackware 12.1. For using my wlan usb adapter (netgear wg111v2), I
    > > copied the configuration (simply a rc.inet1.conf file) from my PC to
    > > the laptop. After the laptop boot up, the 'ifconfig' seems ok, but
    > > the link does not actually work ( I can not ping my wireless
    > > receiver).

    > Maybe "udev" makes trouble.
    >
    > In my installation udev tells its interpretation of the interfaces in
    >
    > /etc/udev/rules.d/network-devices.rules
    > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    >
    > Viele Gruesse
    > Helmut
    >
    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Hi, everyone

    I copied the whole etc directory from my desktop to the laptop (just
    modified the /etc/fstab as necessary), then the wireless adapter
    works! Let me make it clear: only copy the rc.inet1.conf and
    rc.wireless.conf does __not__ work, but copy the whole 'etc' works
    (and, I think I did not touch any udev thing). So, could you slack
    expert tell me what /etc/... file really makes the difference?
    Thanks.

  5. Re: wlan: same configuration works on PC but not on Laptop

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 04:46:01 -0800, Steven Woody wrote:

    > I copied the whole etc directory from my desktop to the laptop (just
    > modified the /etc/fstab as necessary), then the wireless adapter works!
    > Let me make it clear: only copy the rc.inet1.conf and rc.wireless.conf
    > does __not__ work, but copy the whole 'etc' works (and, I think I did
    > not touch any udev thing). So, could you slack expert tell me what
    > /etc/... file really makes the difference? Thanks.

    Perhaps wpa.conf, wifi-radar.conf, maybe you bring up the interface in
    rc.local? Could be a lot of stuff.

    If you still have the (pre-copying) /etc on the laptop then you could do
    a directory comparison followed by a file-by file comparison and tell us
    what you find :-)

+ Reply to Thread