synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible - Slackware

This is a discussion on synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible - Slackware ; Hello. I tried in vain to disable tapping on this dell inspiron 6400 notebook's synaptic touchpad. There are hints to be found googleing, but they have no effect here. I built and installed the newest synaptics driver after this receipt: ...

  1. synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible

    Hello.

    I tried in vain to disable tapping on this dell inspiron 6400 notebook's
    synaptic touchpad. There are hints to be found googleing, but they have
    no effect here.

    I built and installed the newest synaptics driver after this receipt:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/\
    synaptics-driver-on-xorg-7.3-592525/

    and changed the psmouse options so that the mouse is not started with
    the imps protokol, which may be superfluous, as I'm using the
    vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.24.5-smp kernel.

    The output of dmesg | grep -i touchpad is

    input: PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
    as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input4

    But xorg doesn't find it. Here is Xorg.log:

    [...]
    (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
    SynapticsTouchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 19 nodes)
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    (**) Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
    (**) Option "MaxTapMove" "0"
    (**) Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
    (EE) SynapticsTouchpad no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
    (EE) SynapticsTouchpad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "SynapticsTouchpad"
    (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
    [...]

    How can I tell xorg to find the touchpad? The touchpad is definitely
    synaptics (Ubuntu finds it with no problems).

    Do I have to recompile the kernel?

    My xorg.conf follows below.
    erch

    nb. I tried with no mouse CorePointer, but the result is the same.

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "X.org Configured"
    Screen 0 "Screen0"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "SynapticsTouchpad" "AlwaysCore"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "xtrap"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "dri"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "de(nodeadkeys)"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    #DisplaySize 330 210 # mm
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "SEC"
    ModelName "0"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False",
    ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option "NoAccel" # []
    #Option "SWcursor" # []
    #Option "ColorKey" #
    #Option "CacheLines" #
    #Option "Dac6Bit" # []
    #Option "DRI" # []
    #Option "NoDDC" # []
    #Option "ShowCache" # []
    #Option "XvMCSurfaces" #
    #Option "PageFlip" # []
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "intel"
    VendorName "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName "Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated
    Graphics
    Controller"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "SynapticsTouchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
    Option "MaxTapMove" "0"
    EndSection

  2. Re: synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible

    Erich Hoffmann wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I tried in vain to disable tapping on this dell inspiron 6400 notebook's
    > synaptic touchpad. There are hints to be found googleing, but they have
    > no effect here.
    >
    > I built and installed the newest synaptics driver after this receipt:
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/\
    > synaptics-driver-on-xorg-7.3-592525/
    >
    > and changed the psmouse options so that the mouse is not started with
    > the imps protokol, which may be superfluous, as I'm using the
    > vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.24.5-smp kernel.
    >
    > The output of dmesg | grep -i touchpad is
    >

    > input: PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
    > as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input4
    >

    > But xorg doesn't find it. Here is Xorg.log:
    >

    > [...]
    > (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
    > SynapticsTouchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 19 nodes)
    > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

    This is from my xorg.conf:

    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    You may need to experiment with the /dev/input/event?

    From /var/log/messages:

    Oct 27 16:30:25 peregrine kernel: Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw:
    5.7, id: 0x9b48b1, caps: 0x804793/0x0
    Oct 27 16:30:25 peregrine kernel: serio: Synaptics pass-through port
    at isa0060/serio1/input0
    Oct 27 16:30:25 peregrine kernel: input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as
    /class/input/input2

    Jerry

  3. Re: synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible

    Erich Hoffmann wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I tried in vain to disable tapping on this dell inspiron 6400 notebook's
    > synaptic touchpad. There are hints to be found googleing, but they have
    > no effect here.
    >
    > I built and installed the newest synaptics driver after this receipt:
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/\
    > synaptics-driver-on-xorg-7.3-592525/

    Hi,

    Maybe you just tried.

    I too have installed synaptic 0.14.6 on kernel 2.6.21.5 custom kernel
    with an Asus laptop and it works. (disable tapping)

    Have you checked the "trouble-shooting.txt" file, gives many hints

    There are some kernel options to verify to be running, EVDEV ..

    BYE

  4. Re: synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible

    Jerry Peters wrote:

    > Erich Hoffmann wrote:
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I tried in vain to disable tapping on this dell inspiron 6400 notebook's
    >> synaptic touchpad. There are hints to be found googleing, but they have
    >> no effect here.
    >>
    >> I built and installed the newest synaptics driver after this receipt:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/\
    >> synaptics-driver-on-xorg-7.3-592525/
    >>
    >> and changed the psmouse options so that the mouse is not started with
    >> the imps protokol, which may be superfluous, as I'm using the
    >> vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.24.5-smp kernel.
    >>
    >> The output of dmesg | grep -i touchpad is
    >>

    >> input: PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
    >> as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input4
    >>

    >> But xorg doesn't find it. Here is Xorg.log:
    >>

    >> [...]
    >> (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
    >> SynapticsTouchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 19 nodes)
    >> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

    > This is from my xorg.conf:
    >
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
    > Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    > You may need to experiment with the /dev/input/event?
    >
    > From /var/log/messages:
    >
    > Oct 27 16:30:25 peregrine kernel: Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw:
    > 5.7, id: 0x9b48b1, caps: 0x804793/0x0
    > Oct 27 16:30:25 peregrine kernel: serio: Synaptics pass-through port
    > at isa0060/serio1/input0
    > Oct 27 16:30:25 peregrine kernel: input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as
    > /class/input/input2
    >
    > Jerry

  5. Re: synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible

    Fanzo wrote:

    > Erich Hoffmann wrote:
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I tried in vain to disable tapping on this dell inspiron 6400 notebook's
    >> synaptic touchpad. There are hints to be found googleing, but they have
    >> no effect here.
    >>
    >> I built and installed the newest synaptics driver after this receipt:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/\
    >> synaptics-driver-on-xorg-7.3-592525/
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > Maybe you just tried.
    >
    > I too have installed synaptic 0.14.6 on kernel 2.6.21.5 custom kernel
    > with an Asus laptop and it works. (disable tapping)
    >
    > Have you checked the "trouble-shooting.txt" file, gives many hints

    Sorry, this file escaped my attention. Now I know what is wrong. It
    says:

    1. Check that the touchpad is correctly detected by the kernel

    If you are using a 2.6 linux kernel, check the /proc/bus/input/devices
    file. The touchpad must be identified a "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    or an "AlpsPS/2 ALPS TouchPad". If it is identified as a "PS/2 Generic
    Mouse" or "PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad", something is wrong.

    My touchpad is identified as PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad. Possible
    solutions are changing bios settings or recompiling the kernel, so that
    psmouse is a module...which "sometimes" disables the BIOS emulation.
    The other solutions won't work, I gess, because here is no usb mouse
    and grub does not pass parameters to the kernel. (I'm using huge smp.)

    I'll give it a try, of course, but huh, this does not seem trivial to
    me.

    Best, erch

    > There are some kernel options to verify to be running, EVDEV ..
    >
    > BYE

  6. Re: synaptics touchpad not found; no disabling of tapping possible

    Erich Hoffmann wrote:

    > Jerry Peters wrote:
    >
    >> Erich Hoffmann wrote:
    >>> Hello.

    [...]

    Excuse me for the mere quotation of the preceding post. Pressing the
    wrong button, side effect of this tapping which I still can't manage.

    Here is what I wanted to write:

    I tried every entry in /dev/input, no effect. Xorg.0.log says that it
    does not recognize the touchpad. For the rest see the follow-up to
    Fanzo's post.

    Erch