No network with nVidia on my new HP desktop. - Slackware

This is a discussion on No network with nVidia on my new HP desktop. - Slackware ; I just got an HP desktop with AMD Phenom 8400 Triple core, 3 gigs ram and 2 320 gig sata hard drives. I see that the network shown in lspci is using nVidia MCP61. It seems not to be used ...

  1. No network with nVidia on my new HP desktop.

    I just got an HP desktop with AMD Phenom 8400 Triple core, 3 gigs ram and 2 320
    gig sata hard drives.
    I see that the network shown in lspci is using nVidia MCP61. It seems not to be
    used in many Linux versions. The only Linux version that I can get on the
    internet with is Slackware. I am using Slackware 12.1 with gnome added.

    when I type lsmod I get this result:
    root@lbw:~# lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    snd_seq_dummy 6660 0
    snd_seq_oss 32896 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 10112 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 50256 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 10380 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 40352 0
    snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
    ipv6 234724 14
    agpgart 30664 0
    lp 13348 0
    parport_pc 27556 0
    parport 34632 2 lp,parport_pc
    fuse 45588 1
    rt73usb 27776 0
    rt2x00usb 12672 1 rt73usb
    snd_hda_intel 289052 0
    rt2x00lib 21504 2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb
    fan 7428 0
    thermal 16540 0
    rfkill 9488 1 rt2x00lib
    input_polldev 7304 1 rt2x00lib
    snd_pcm 72068 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    crc_itu_t 5760 1 rt2x00lib
    snd_timer 22532 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    rtc_cmos 11040 0
    snd_page_alloc 11528 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    rtc_core 18696 1 rtc_cmos
    mac80211 122124 2 rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib
    psmouse 40336 0
    snd_hwdep 10756 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd 47716 9
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwd ep
    processor 32680 1 thermal
    i2c_nforce2 9344 0
    button 10000 0
    forcedeth 48780 0
    rtc_lib 6528 1 rtc_core
    serio_raw 9092 0
    cfg80211 14600 1 mac80211
    usblp 15616 0
    soundcore 9824 1 snd
    evdev 12672 3
    sg 30224 0

    When I type lspci I get this result:
    root@lbw:~# lspci
    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
    00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
    00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:08.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6100 nForce 430
    (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64,
    Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64,
    Sempron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64,
    Sempron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64,
    Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64,
    Sempron] Link Control
    01:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 70)
    01:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
    root@lbw:~#

    I went googling around and saw where nVidia has installable drivers for nVidia
    sound and network for x86 but not x64.
    I tried installing that but it showed errors and did not finish.

    Is this computer going to be a real job to get working or not. I have a couple
    of days in which I can return it and find another one but I would like to think
    I should be able to make this work.
    Ideas and suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks
    --

    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

  2. Re: No network with nVidia on my new HP desktop.

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 08:41:46 -0800, Leon Whyte wrote:

    > I see that the network shown in lspci is using nVidia MCP61. It seems not to be
    > used in many Linux versions. The only Linux version that I can get on the
    > internet with is Slackware. I am using Slackware 12.1 with gnome added.

    snip lsmod and lspci.

    So what's your problem - it works. And you don't even have enough memory
    to make consideration of a 64 bit OS worthwhile!

    > I went googling around and saw where nVidia has installable drivers for nVidia
    > sound and network for x86 but not x64.
    > I tried installing that but it showed errors and did not finish.

    At one time I did have Debian Lenny x86_64 running on a system using the
    MCP61 chipset. nVidia has 64 bit video drivers and www.opensound.com has
    very good audio drivers. At the time I had no idea how to use 32 bit
    binaries on a 64 bit system and I replaced the Debian with Slackware.

    > Is this computer going to be a real job to get working or not.

    You have it working. What is your question?

    > I have a
    > couple of days in which I can return it and find another one but I would
    > like to think I should be able to make this work. Ideas and suggestions
    > appreciated.

    The MCP61 chipset is the best supported in Linux generally, both 32 and 64
    bit.

  3. Re: No network with nVidia on my new HP desktop.

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 08:41:46 -0800, Leon Whyte wrote:
    >
    >> I see that the network shown in lspci is using nVidia MCP61. It seems not to be
    >> used in many Linux versions. The only Linux version that I can get on the
    >> internet with is Slackware. I am using Slackware 12.1 with gnome added.

    > snip lsmod and lspci.
    >
    > So what's your problem - it works. And you don't even have enough memory
    > to make consideration of a 64 bit OS worthwhile!

    What amount of memory is needed for 64 bit?

    >> I went googling around and saw where nVidia has installable drivers for nVidia
    >> sound and network for x86 but not x64.
    >> I tried installing that but it showed errors and did not finish.

    > At one time I did have Debian Lenny x86_64 running on a system using the
    > MCP61 chipset. nVidia has 64 bit video drivers and www.opensound.com has
    > very good audio drivers. At the time I had no idea how to use 32 bit
    > binaries on a 64 bit system and I replaced the Debian with Slackware.
    >
    >> Is this computer going to be a real job to get working or not.

    > You have it working. What is your question?
    >
    >> I have a
    >> couple of days in which I can return it and find another one but I would
    >> like to think I should be able to make this work. Ideas and suggestions
    >> appreciated.

    > The MCP61 chipset is the best supported in Linux generally, both 32 and 64
    > bit.

    The question is that it does not seem to be using the nVidia module.
    If it used then why does it not show up in lsmod?
    Slack is the only Linux that will work as the other Linuxs I want to try all say
    that no nic is found.

    --
    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
    < running Linux >

  4. Re: No network with nVidia on my new HP desktop.

    Responding to Leon Whyte:

    [...]
    > I went googling around and saw where nVidia has installable drivers for
    > nVidia sound and network for x86 but not x64. I tried installing that
    > but it showed errors and did not finish.
    >
    > Is this computer going to be a real job to get working or not. I have a
    > couple of days in which I can return it and find another one but I would
    > like to think I should be able to make this work.
    > Ideas and suggestions appreciated.
    > Thanks

    I'm just an average dabbler, but I have an NVidia mainboard and a GeForce
    graphics card, and I'm not impressed with being stuck with NVidia's
    flakey driver support or it's insistance on holding back the driver specs
    from the open source community so somebody can write something that
    doesn't involve opening up one's system to an uncheckable closed source
    "Trust us!" installation process.

    Its GNU or nothing for me from now on, and I've accepted that the GeForce
    card is now only a semi-functional bits-box component.

    Interestingly enough, the primary mainboard SATA cable socket SNAFUed
    itself to death the other week too, and I'm currently running a now
    suspect (was virtually new) 160GiB HDD on it's second port. Backups are
    now "as soon as possible" in case it goes again.

    I won't be buying NVidia again based on these experiences.

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/

  5. Re: No network with nVidia on my new HP desktop.

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 11:41:29 -0800, Leon Whyte wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> So what's your problem - it works. And you don't even have enough memory
    >> to make consideration of a 64 bit OS worthwhile!

    > What amount of memory is needed for 64 bit?

    Any amount but the normal limit for memory using a 32 bit kernel is 3 GB.
    You can use more than that in 32 bit using PAE but a 64 bit kernel will
    use the higher memory without any bank-switching kluges.

    >> The MCP61 chipset is the best supported in Linux generally, both 32 and
    >> 64 bit.

    > The question is that it does not seem to be using the nVidia module. If

    Which module? Your NIC has its module loaded -

    forcedeth 48780 0

    > it used then why does it not show up in lsmod?

    What do you think that forcedeth is?

    duhring@maxwell:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
    Slackware 12.1.0
    duhring@maxwell:/etc/udev/rules.d$ cat 70-persistent-net.rules
    # PCI device 0x10de:0x03ef (forcedeth)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1d:60:88:d7:8f", ATTR{type}=="1", NAME="eth0"
    duhring@maxwell:/etc/udev/rules.d$ lsmod | grep forced
    forcedeth 48780 0
    duhring@maxwell:~$ ifconfig eth0
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1d:60:88:d7:8f
    inet addr:192.168.0.5 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::21d:60ff:fe88:d78f/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:64410 (62.9 KiB) TX bytes:46722 (45.6 KiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0x4000

    You didn't by any chance disable /etc/rc.d/rc.udev did you?

    Now if you're looking for the nVidia graphics module that is something
    which you have to install yourself. It is not free or open source
    softwware.

    > Slack is the only Linux
    > that will work as the other Linuxs I want to try all say that no nic is
    > found.

    I also have Solaris Express, OpenSolaris, OpenBSD and Debian Lenny
    installed on that MCP61 system. All are properly networked. I have also
    successfully installed and run Ubuntu 8.04 and CentOS-5.3 on that system.
    The RIPLinux miniCD boots and runs well.

+ Reply to Thread